Awarded PIP 2 weeks after applying, but got points in areas I didn't say I had difficulties in? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded PIP 2 weeks after applying, but got points in areas I didn't say I had difficulties in?

Options
pault34
pault34 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi All

I'm new to here, so please be kind  :).

I applied for PIP at the beginning of May, returned the form and received a text 13 days after applying to say they had received 'the written report of PIP assessment. The day after that I received my first payment covering the 2 weeks from applying to the day I got the text. I then received the 'decision' letter about a week after that confirming I had been awarded Enhanced Rate Daily Living and Standard Rate Mobility for over 2 years.

My application was based on Mental Health (Severe Depression and GAD) and profound hearing loss.

My question is that I have been awarded 19 points for the Daily Living part, but there are two areas - Washing & Bathing, Dressing & Undressing - where I have been awarded 2 points in each of these descriptors even though I said I have no difficulty in those areas. Without those points I would still score 15 points so should I let DWP know that I have been awarded the 2 points in those areas?

Thanks for reading and hopefully your responses.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @pault34 how are you this evening? I don't see any real need to tell them as it wouldn't make any difference to the award you would still get enhanced with 15 points. But well done in getting a decision so quickly goes to prove that the system can work as it should.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• pault34
    Options
    Thanks @Woodbine, I'm 'coping' at the moment, hard for everyone right now, so trying to keep going until I can restart therapy and treatments. Hope you're doing alright too.

That's what I thought as well, just thought I'd get another opinion. And yes, it was a big surprise to hear back that quickly and with what I feel was a very fair decision based on my circumstances, especially after hearing and reading all the horror stories around PIP processes.

Take care
  • pault34
    Options
    Hi @Username_removed. Thanks for your reply, I'm new to the benefits system and hadn't really considered the points you've made, and quite possibly have understated some issues around my hearing loss, it happened quite suddenly and deteriorated over the last couple of years.

I also applied for Contribution Based ESA and was put on the assessment rate back-dated to Nov 2019 (when I had to give up my job), I sent back the ESA50 form just before lock-down and the postponement of Face-2-Face assessments but haven't heard anything else from the ESA people yet. Just a bit worried that I won't get assessed before the 365 time limit runs out now, my care team feel that I should be placed in the Support Group but who knows!

Thank you again for your thoughts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @pault34
    It’s great to hear they made a decision so quickly.
    I hope you feel your original query was answered. I’ve unfortunately had to close this thread, but if you have any further queries you are welcome to make another. I agree with the other posters — there’s no need to inform the DWP about the points awarded in washing, bathing, dressing and undressing.
    Community Manager
    Scope
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.