Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi I'm Traceys5! I've been awarded LCWRA. My husband has been offered a job. Will my benefits stop?

Traceys5Traceys5 Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited February 24 in Universal Credit
Hello please can anybody help, 
I have just been awarded  lcwra from universal credit 
due to mental health and arthritis, my husband is currently not working but is offered a job to earn £1600 a month we have 3 children and live in council house. Will they stop my benefits if my husband takes the job, regards Tracey, 
Tagged:

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,139 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I am not too certain of the answer to this but sure someone else will be 

You could try using a benefits calculator to see if this helps there is one in the benefits section on here 
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,538 Pioneering
    Hi @Traceys5 there will be some information on gov.co.uk web site. Also there is a benefits checker you can use, which will give you some idea. 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,998

Scope community team

Hello @Traceys5. With Universal Credit all of your 'elements' are added together and then any deduction from wages are taken from the total of these, so not specific element is 'safe', even LCWRA.

However, if he is earning a take-home wage of £1600 the deduction to your total UC would be £824.04. So if you look at a recent statement and the total amount it states before deductions, with your husband earning £1600, you'll have £824.04 deducted from this total amount. 

Does that make sense? Please let me know if you need any more help.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,162 Pioneering
    edited February 26
    As Adrian says £16,000 earnings gives rise to a deduction of £824. With LCWRA, three children (even if only two count) plus housing your maximum UC is clearly higher than that. Therefore there will still be UC payable (assuming you have no other income/deductions).

Furthermore, If you were previously subject to the Benefit Cap this will no longer apply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Traceys5Traceys5 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you that makes it much clearer, 
Sign in or join us to comment.