Hi I'm Traceys5! I've been awarded LCWRA. My husband has been offered a job. Will my benefits stop? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm Traceys5! I've been awarded LCWRA. My husband has been offered a job. Will my benefits stop?

Options
Traceys5
Traceys5 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited February 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello please can anybody help, 
I have just been awarded  lcwra from universal credit 
due to mental health and arthritis, my husband is currently not working but is offered a job to earn £1600 a month we have 3 children and live in council house. Will they stop my benefits if my husband takes the job, regards Tracey, 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

I am not too certain of the answer to this but sure someone else will be 

You could try using a benefits calculator to see if this helps there is one in the benefits section on here 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Traceys5 there will be some information on gov.co.uk web site. Also there is a benefits checker you can use, which will give you some idea. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Traceys5. With Universal Credit all of your 'elements' are added together and then any deduction from wages are taken from the total of these, so not specific element is 'safe', even LCWRA.

However, if he is earning a take-home wage of £1600 the deduction to your total UC would be £824.04. So if you look at a recent statement and the total amount it states before deductions, with your husband earning £1600, you'll have £824.04 deducted from this total amount. 

Does that make sense? Please let me know if you need any more help.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    As Adrian says £16,000 earnings gives rise to a deduction of £824. With LCWRA, three children (even if only two count) plus housing your maximum UC is clearly higher than that. Therefore there will still be UC payable (assuming you have no other income/deductions).

Furthermore, If you were previously subject to the Benefit Cap this will no longer apply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Traceys5
    Traceys5 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thank you that makes it much clearer, 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.