Total beginners and people who scared of cooking or can't cook — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Total beginners and people who scared of cooking or can't cook

Options
foodie
foodie Community member Posts: 163 Courageous
I'm going to teach you all basic simple easy peasy recipes anyone can do at home in disabled myself so I know the difficulties disabled people have when trying to cook or bake anything ? I'm hoping to be a chef one day teaching disabled people for real life enjoy my recipes on here as and when they pop up keep a eye for them ??
Tagged:

Comments

• foodie
    Options
    If anyone has difficulty in trying to prepare a basic meal or bake simple cakes I will advise you on here as best I can this is JUST FOR people who can't or scared to cook only ??
  • foodie
    Options
    This is only for people who can't or scared of cooking or baking only please many thanks from foodie
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great thread @foodie, I think cooking can be a challenge for many disabled people, so it's always good to talk about ways of developing that side of life. What would you say your top tip is to become a better cook?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Durhamjaide
    Durhamjaide Scope Member Posts: 428 Courageous
    Options
    I struggle to cook so this would Bre great for me when I was younger I really wanted to be a chef
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 218 Pioneering
    Options
    Could you do a session on cooking with the use of Microwave Oven? 
    I once knew a girl who made me a microwave sponge pudding. 
    This was made from scratch.
    Flour etc.
    Thanking you.

Also cooking with a Pressure Cooker 

This may be frowned upon, but would like to use a microwave other than heating up
    mug o tea
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi @foodie

This does indeed seem like an amazing thread! Thanks for initiating it.

And good point @oldngrumpy. I really like the idea of microwave sponge pudding  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Lisa82
    Lisa82 Scope Member Posts: 202 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for initiating this thread @foodie it is very useful 

I have something called a Instant Pot which is a type of electric pressure cooker [apparently this one is safer than the others as it releases its steam naturally] however I have never been able to use it. So hopefully if it's not too much for you (don't worry if it is) you could cover the topic of cooking with a Instant Pot as well for those who may want to use one. 
  • MissMarple
    MissMarple Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Options
    I've just ordered a book with microwave recipes that can be made in a single mug. It's aimed at students and office lunch so they are supposed to be very quick and simple. We shall see.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Looking forward to some recipes, the only baking I ever do is mince pies using ready made pastry, so I doubt that counts.
    We recently bought an air-fryer so some simple recipes for that would be great.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    I have never really been able to cook for myself -- I have just recently gotten brave enough to use the microwave! I think learning ways around that could be valuable for lots of disabled people, myself included. Looking forward to when this thread is updated.

@woodbine, my family use an air fryer and it does look super simple! Maybe I can work my way up to trying it some day. Have you got any recipe recommendations so far?
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • Maureene
    Maureene Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Have you started to teach cooking disabled people?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.