Total beginners and people who scared of cooking or can't cook — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Total beginners and people who scared of cooking or can't cook

Options
foodie
foodie Community member Posts: 163 Courageous
I'm going to teach you all basic simple easy peasy recipes anyone can do at home in disabled myself so I know the difficulties disabled people have when trying to cook or bake anything ? I'm hoping to be a chef one day teaching disabled people for real life enjoy my recipes on here as and when they pop up keep a eye for them ??
Tagged:

Comments

• foodie
    Options
    If anyone has difficulty in trying to prepare a basic meal or bake simple cakes I will advise you on here as best I can this is JUST FOR people who can't or scared to cook only ??
  • foodie
    Options
    This is only for people who can't or scared of cooking or baking only please many thanks from foodie
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great thread @foodie, I think cooking can be a challenge for many disabled people, so it's always good to talk about ways of developing that side of life. What would you say your top tip is to become a better cook?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Durhamjaide
    Durhamjaide Scope Member Posts: 428 Courageous
    Options
    I struggle to cook so this would Bre great for me when I was younger I really wanted to be a chef
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 218 Pioneering
    Options
    Could you do a session on cooking with the use of Microwave Oven? 
    I once knew a girl who made me a microwave sponge pudding. 
    This was made from scratch.
    Flour etc.
    Thanking you.

Also cooking with a Pressure Cooker 

This may be frowned upon, but would like to use a microwave other than heating up
    mug o tea
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi @foodie

This does indeed seem like an amazing thread! Thanks for initiating it.

And good point @oldngrumpy. I really like the idea of microwave sponge pudding  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Lisa82
    Lisa82 Scope Member Posts: 202 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for initiating this thread @foodie it is very useful 

I have something called a Instant Pot which is a type of electric pressure cooker [apparently this one is safer than the others as it releases its steam naturally] however I have never been able to use it. So hopefully if it's not too much for you (don't worry if it is) you could cover the topic of cooking with a Instant Pot as well for those who may want to use one. 
  • MissMarple
    MissMarple Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Options
    I've just ordered a book with microwave recipes that can be made in a single mug. It's aimed at students and office lunch so they are supposed to be very quick and simple. We shall see.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Looking forward to some recipes, the only baking I ever do is mince pies using ready made pastry, so I doubt that counts.
    We recently bought an air-fryer so some simple recipes for that would be great.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    I have never really been able to cook for myself -- I have just recently gotten brave enough to use the microwave! I think learning ways around that could be valuable for lots of disabled people, myself included. Looking forward to when this thread is updated.

@woodbine, my family use an air fryer and it does look super simple! Maybe I can work my way up to trying it some day. Have you got any recipe recommendations so far?
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • Maureene
    Maureene Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Have you started to teach cooking disabled people?

Brightness