I claim ESA (WRA) and have been told to claim PIP too. Could be ESA be reconsidered if I failed PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I claim ESA (WRA) and have been told to claim PIP too. Could be ESA be reconsidered if I failed PIP?

TracyPike Member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello, i currently claim ESA (WRA group) i had to go to court to in 2018 and was told no reassessment for at least 24 months.  Since then my health has gone down hill, i have depression (also been told i could have BPD, cervical spine degeneration, pain syndrome, weakness on right hand side to mention a few.  I have been told that i can and should be claiming for PIP.  I've been told that yes i can claim PIP and ESA together but have now been told that if i were to fail PIP at the initial application (which apparently always happens) then my ESA would be reconsidered as well and probably stopped, even though they are different places.  I believe i should be in the ESA support group now as well but i honestly am too worried to do the application in case my benefit gets stopped!  Please could someone clarify what is right and what i am actually allowed to do as i am confused.
Many thanks


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,533 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome 

    Many people get pip first time myself included you just don't see success stories 

    Your esa will not be affected if you don't get pip this happens if you get sdp and then lose pip as to get sdp you must get pip 

    You have nothing to lose applying for pip and if you do get it you could also be eligible for other benefits too depending on your circumstances 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,402 Disability Gamechanger
    You can also report a change of circumstances to ESA too which will prompt a reassessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 9,696 Scope online community team
    I hope that the above replies have put you at ease a little @TracyPike :) Many people get confused about it, so don't worry.

    Have you been getting any support for your physical and mental health conditions? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.