Breaking sad news - migrants heading for UK die after boat sinks - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Breaking sad news - migrants heading for UK die after boat sinks

Options
2»

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    I do have compassion and I it is sad the government and the law need to sort it it out its a vicious circle the criminals are doing it because the immigrants are willing to pay there is fault on both sides and there is a great need of intervention  to stop it from happening ? 
    Assuming by 'both sides' you mean government policies/political indifference and smugglers taking advantage of human suffering and desperation, then I agree. If you are suggesting that blame lies with people often fleeing regimes rife with violence and persecution then I'm not sure I completely understand.

I don't think people go to such lengths because they have a huge array of other options available to them. These tragedies are the product of various political climates and I feel the blame lies a little further up the chain.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 572 Pioneering
    Options
    Its so sad to see in modern times that people are so desperate to try and escape somewhere and risk their own lives, the world needs to look and see ways in which we can all help these people. To me every life in the world is important and should be cherished no matter who, what or where your from. You have to imagine what it would be like in their shoes to do something so desperate they must of been so terrafied.

I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think France should be doing more for them frankly.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I do have compassion for these people but I also have campasion for people who live here today in wales a hotel that costs alot of money to stay in the government with out knowledge have decided to put 150 refugees into this hotel and they have sacked all the staff that worked there just before Xmas they have children and familys to feed bills to pay rent to pay yes we need to help people but not at the expense  of people who live here 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope yes thats what I mean the government go about things the wrong way and people who work and live here have to suffer the consequences  and then things go wrong and then causes more problems for people who have come here for help also in the middle of a corona virus pandemic where there are rules for travel into the UK 

The government need to do things properly some people do get sent back because of war crime and could also be the people thst they are escaping from some  people have  already caused trouble when they come here it won't end well the way the government deal with it and politics and the law 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm bemused by the comment about Poland as upto quite recently they had every right to settle here when they and we were both members of the EU, however that said many EU nationals perhaps in excess of one million have returned to where they came from.
    Another example is the govt. scheme to fast track visas for scientist, at the last count in six months only six of them had come here under that scheme.
    Perhaps helps to prove the point that "official schemes" don't work that well.

The fact remains that paying perhaps £3000 to be launched into the channel on little more than a blow up dinghy proves just how bad conditions are at the camps in Calais, and that the poor welcome extended by other EU countries pushes these poor sods to do anything they can to get to the UK.

We can help, we should help and we must help these people, we have plenty of space for them and we should welcome them or hang our collective heads in shame.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    edited December 2021
    Options
    [comments removed by moderator] my belief is everyone should have it everyone should be able to live a good life have food a roof over their head money comeing in they say we are in poverty thats what people don't understand its hard to explain so I will stop lol 

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
        Are these 150 people migrants that came on a dingy from France or on a British army flight from Kabul? and how many on here get 'free money, rent paid and free NHS... is there really a difference. 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,858 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I feel we have enough of these people already here without importing boatload more, fleeing war torn France or Greece, oh wait...sorry but I don't buy it settle in the first country you manage to get to, no they don't, they come here, I'msorry but send them packing, look after our own elderly, war veterans, the homeless first before anyone else, sorry it's not a popular opinion these days 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have removed some comments in this discussion as we believe them to be presenting opinion as fact. However, as some of them are commonly held beliefs, we thought as well as removing them, it might be beneficial to provide some facts.

An asylum seeker arriving in the UK may receive:cash support in the form of £39.63 a week on a payment card - an asylum seeker is not eligible for most benefitssomewhere to live (this may sound great, but a report in 2018 found that only 24% of accommodation provided to asylum seekers met government standards, 43% of accommodation was not fit for purpose)'entitlement to NHS Services as dictated by the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 
    We are aware this topic generates a lot of debate, so please be mindful to check the source of the information you're discussing, as this helps make sure discussions abide by house rules.

Thanks everyone,Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My opinion for what it is worth is yes it's very sad and I can't imagine how these people must feel taking the decision to put their lives at risk in the hope of a better life 

However I don't think we do have room in UK until every UK citizen who has contributed in some way to UK society has an acceptable standard of home to live in 

Too many homeless already in the country to consider allowing more people . Total lack of affordable housing , social housing and private rent 

No facts or figures just my opinion 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.