[closed]What information do disabled people and their families need? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

[closed]What information do disabled people and their families need?

Options
Ema_Scope
Ema_Scope Scope Member Posts: 68 Courageous

We are researching what information disabled people and their families need, to find gaps in our website information section.

Please give us your views on these questions:

• Do you think anything is missing from our existing information and advice?

• What do you think we need to write about?

• What information is hard to find online?

Comments

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for posting @Ema_Scope - hopefully our members will see your post and share their experiences with you :) 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Out of interest, how long is the research into Scope's website running for? Thanks for sharing @Ema_Scope I've announced the post for you :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ema_Scope
    Options
    It'll be running for a couple of weeks to get as many views from as many people as possible :smile:
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great stuff, thanks for letting us know! :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,119 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Ema_Scope - mental health is rightly given a section in the online advice & support, but what about physical health/problems? I would consider pain management/coping with chronic pain something very useful, as this can affect those with 'just' physical problems, so perhaps links to this & repeat the exercise section you already have (under both 'Coronavirus' & 'Sport & exercise').
    I also mentioning in the online community about breathing properly rather often, as this can help with both stress & pain; aid relaxation, & should be something we all do (sorry, but the physio in me keeps coming out). However, this may be helpful for those with either mental health/physical issues, or both. Here's a link to what I mean: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    You could also add pelvic floor exercises, which can help with urinary incontinence problems, e.g. : https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/womens-health/what-are-pelvic-floor-exercises/
    Exercises for back pain, etc. I could go on.....
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The big one obviously is benefits, benefits and benefits. Scope would be an ideal place to supply all the advice on benefits that disabled people need, we see a lot of people who are new to be disabled and are totally confused about benefits we have the chance to be the go to place for that help, you only have to look at the number of questions we are asked day after day about entitlement.
    Perhaps all the different things that this thread comes up with could be made "sticky" on the front of the forum?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• RoseyG
    RoseyG Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    I haven’t read every page on your site but from a search I couldn’t find any information on LGBT and disability: particularly trans but all encompassing. 
    It can result in additional barriers when both disabled and lgtbqia+
    But disabled lgbtqia+ appear to be invisible.
    My son is trans but because he’s also autistic it isn’t listened to and he was refused support and from the support groups I’m in this is quite common for disabled people

Also with benefits: it takes up a huge part but is very basic with no proper depth. Like it focuses mostly on the ‘information’ with no advice if you get what I mean? 
  • Ema_Scope
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Ema_Scope - mental health is rightly given a section in the online advice & support, but what about physical health/problems? I would consider pain management/coping with chronic pain something very useful, as this can affect those with 'just' physical problems, so perhaps links to this & repeat the exercise section you already have (under both 'Coronavirus' & 'Sport & exercise').
    I also mentioning in the online community about breathing properly rather often, as this can help with both stress & pain; aid relaxation, & should be something we all do (sorry, but the physio in me keeps coming out). However, this may be helpful for those with either mental health/physical issues, or both. Here's a link to what I mean: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    You could also add pelvic floor exercises, which can help with urinary incontinence problems, e.g. : https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/womens-health/what-are-pelvic-floor-exercises/
    Exercises for back pain, etc. I could go on.....
    Hi @chiarieds

Thank you for your suggestions, they're all really helpful. We have a page on breathing to help disabled children sleep so this is something we could explore for adults too. We can also have a look at the exercise pages from a pain management and physical health perspective too.

Many thanks
    Ema
  • Ema_Scope
    Options
    woodbine said:
    The big one obviously is benefits, benefits and benefits. Scope would be an ideal place to supply all the advice on benefits that disabled people need, we see a lot of people who are new to be disabled and are totally confused about benefits we have the chance to be the go to place for that help, you only have to look at the number of questions we are asked day after day about entitlement.
    Perhaps all the different things that this thread comes up with could be made "sticky" on the front of the forum?
    Hi @woodbine

That's really helpful, thank you. Do you think there is anything missing in the benefits section that would help people who are newly disabled?

Many thanks
    Ema

• Ema_Scope
    Options
    RoseyG said:
    I haven’t read every page on your site but from a search I couldn’t find any information on LGBT and disability: particularly trans but all encompassing. 
    It can result in additional barriers when both disabled and lgtbqia+
    But disabled lgbtqia+ appear to be invisible.
    My son is trans but because he’s also autistic it isn’t listened to and he was refused support and from the support groups I’m in this is quite common for disabled people

Also with benefits: it takes up a huge part but is very basic with no proper depth. Like it focuses mostly on the ‘information’ with no advice if you get what I mean? 

Hi @Roseyy

Thank you for those comments. Is there anything specific about LGTBQIA+ that you think would be helpful to have information about? For example, you've mentioned support groups.

Many thanks
    Ema
  • Ema_Scope
    Options

Thanks Mike, you've raised some really good points. You mention that the focus should be on providing information for BME communities because they are underrepresented. Are there any specific topics or issues that you think it would be helpful to provide information on or that is hard to find online?

Many thanks

Ema

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,119 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options

Thank you @Ema_Scope - Some trusted resources you could link to:

from the Physiotherapy Pain Association:

From the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy:

There are many resources on the above site using the 'Public & patient' tab at the top.

Then from this: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/75929/coping-with-stress-low-mood-and-isolation-a-support-thread/p1 which has previously been put together by members of the Scope team, please see under 'exercise' videos on 'Gentle Tai chi & yoga' put together by Canadian therapists, which can be adapted to be done in standing & sitting, & also for those who can only use one side of their body, such as someone who'd suffered a stroke.

I feel you should have confidence with all of these links as they've been put together by physiotherapists.

• Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    @mikehughescq,
    I would also like to thank you for raising these points because they make a lot of sense. I do, however, believe that the first step towards being better is to recognise these flaws & listen to the people that they miss when working to make change. We can't possibly know how the information provided on this site relates to every person's lived experiences because that's not realistic, as you said. However, it breaks my heart to think that support isn't widely available to people as well, especially around issues that aren't related to disability, such as sexuality or gender identity. It goes without saying that non-disabled people would have different stories to tell about this because they're not necessarily talking from multiple places of marginalisation, but that doesn't mean we should be able to ignore the more complex intersections & the privilege attached to it, which is too easily done (here and by society in general). 

In all of this, perhaps the next step is to recognise that we don't (and simply never will) have all of the answers. We are far from perfect, which I think everyone will agree. Maybe we can instead take some of the categories mentioned above and look to amplify the voices of people inside them, which would also hopefully lead to the access of more relevant resources. At the top of my head, I'm thinking about Imani Barbarin (Crutches and Spice), though I'm sure there are many more :)
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning,
    It might not be the sort of thing your looking for.
    I have just seen, what i think is a great thread. 
    It was started a while ago by Foodie, but not much uptake on the site it is on, but i think people may be interested in it.
    Total Beginners and People who are scared of cooking or can't cook.
    Just a thought.
  • Danielle_2022
    Options
    Just to follow on from @SueHeath's comment, I thought I'd share a link to the thread here. Sounds like something that a lot of people would appreciate help getting into!
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • Ema_Scope
    Options
    @mikehughescq,
    I would also like to thank you for raising these points because they make a lot of sense. I do, however, believe that the first step towards being better is to recognise these flaws & listen to the people that they miss when working to make change. We can't possibly know how the information provided on this site relates to every person's lived experiences because that's not realistic, as you said. However, it breaks my heart to think that support isn't widely available to people as well, especially around issues that aren't related to disability, such as sexuality or gender identity. It goes without saying that non-disabled people would have different stories to tell about this because they're not necessarily talking from multiple places of marginalisation, but that doesn't mean we should be able to ignore the more complex intersections & the privilege attached to it, which is too easily done (here and by society in general). 

In all of this, perhaps the next step is to recognise that we don't (and simply never will) have all of the answers. We are far from perfect, which I think everyone will agree. Maybe we can instead take some of the categories mentioned above and look to amplify the voices of people inside them, which would also hopefully lead to the access of more relevant resources. At the top of my head, I'm thinking about Imani Barbarin (Crutches and Spice), though I'm sure there are many more :)

@Danielle_2022 thank you for the link to Imani Barbarin's twitter page. If there are any specific topics that cross the intersection between disability and marginalised groups that you think we could provide online information about please let us know. This thread will be open for a few weeks so feel free to pop back any time.

Many thanks
    Ema
  • Ema_Scope
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Morning,
    It might not be the sort of thing your looking for.
    I have just seen, what i think is a great thread. 
    It was started a while ago by Foodie, but not much uptake on the site it is on, but i think people may be interested in it.
    Total Beginners and People who are scared of cooking or can't cook.
    Just a thought.
    @SueHeath, thank you very much for sharing and thanks @Danielle_2022 for sharing the link! Is there anything specific about cooking that you would like information about? For example recipes or kitchen gadgets?

• Danielle_2022
    Options
    @Ema_Scope,
    I'm thinking in particular of the difficulty that some BIPOC have when trying to access care or treatment as a result of medical racism. This is a huge issue that I have heard so many different stories about and I think having discussions about it is (hopefully) the first step towards creating an environment where this feels like uncomfortable practice for doctors etc., rather than inconsequential action. Another issue is also ableism within academia, which is something that I felt very unprepared for during my degree, but very commonplace.

RE the cooking: recipes and kitchen gadgets would be a great start!
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    Options
    In the 90s there was a court ruling that led to a mobility question on the DLA form being changed. The result was a How far can you walk before experiencing severe discomfort or pain? This was qualified by a statement that this should be assessed on the levels of discomfort and/or pain accepted by non-disabled people NOT stoical disabled people. (my wording is probably inaccurate).

This led to one of the most enabling methods of advisors obtaining benefits that disabled people needed. Pain = benefits - it really is/was that simple.

Anyone who has experienced the system knows that the 'how your disability affects you' is in need of proof these days. And the easiest means of proving pain is by being prescribed pain relief for moderate or severe pain.

Many of us on opiates know of the imported hysteria from the USA about opiates. (My wife is Californian and we have a very big family there). In the USA it relates to Oxycontin and overprescription for profit by a medical profession with questionable ethics.

GPs in the UK are under extreeme political pressure to reduce their prescription of opiates. This is welcomed by the 'be a disabled hero' type of doctor who has never personally experienced the pain of disability.

Is it beyond belief to join the dots and realise that no or less pain relief equals no benefits? 

I am past retiring age. I am only going to get worse not better but my surgery is presuring me to reduce morphine intake and in effect cease to function as a relatively active disabled person. 

My wife is also disabled with a progressive neurological condition and is also being pressurised to do the same.

One of the 'reasons' given by my/our individual GP was one of his coleagues had raised the question of the practices legal responsibilities to reduce opiates.

People insist in calling them pain killers. Some call them pain relief. Really they are pain reducers and that is all.

People under this sort of pressure need to know they are not alone. This is not caused by data from testing but based on the opinion of medical professionals with no personal experience of disability.
  • Danielle_2022
    Options
    Hi @foxuk,
    I agree with you on that. I’m physically disabled to the point where walking and standing has never been possible for me, anyway, but proving my entitlement to benefits still wasn’t an easy process. It involved being asked a series of invasive questions about my exact level of inability and what my care needs look like. All things that I do my best not to think about on a day to day basis, as you can imagine. I know that it’s even harder for my friends with less visible conditions — and some of them were turned away completely. 

There is such a stigma around the prescription of pain relief and as you said, this can make it so hard to access. But of course, the people making these decisions have generally got no experience of living with chronic pain, so it’s impossible for them to perceive these cases without a certain amount of prejudice. Moving forward, I think there definitely needs to be more education about it. We deserve to live without pain, as much as is possible. The first step in that is to ensure patients are being properly heard and validated in their experiences, you know? Thank-you for raising it. The fight is not over yet <3
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.