If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Takeaways & eating out

Options
2»

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @Biblioklept yes that makes perfect sense. I can imagine if I didn’t have people to help me cook I’d order a lot more takeaways, or at least ready meals from the supermarkets. I’m slowly learning to cook different dishes though :)

Out of curiosity why do you struggle with cooking? Only if you want to answer that is.

For me it is a combination of just never having done it before, OCD making me not want to touch things, and finally obsessive thoughts about harming myself meaning I find it hard using sharp knives.
     @66mustang not having done it is a big one, I'm often scared of getting things wrong which puts me off trying. I also have OCD and don't like touching unwashed food and especially things like raw meat or cracking eggs and just the thought of stuff like that. Not so much the obsessive thoughts about harming because they've lessened around cooking the more I've done it. It does scare me at times and are definitely there but 
    I also have poor executive function so all the different stuff around cooking gets overwhelming, deciding, planning, buying, starting, prep, cooking, serving, eating, washing up and clearing away. That's a lot of big steps and when you look at tiny ones involved with each I can't figure out how anyone can do it :D
    I can check a list 100 times and still forget a key ingredient. 
    I'm also pretty clumsy. The other day I was making pasta and somehow poured boiling water from kettle all over the oven and it dripped down all over my leg and knee.
    Also I struggle with judging how long things will take, so get the timings and planning all wrong :D I'm getting better the more I'm doing it and working out workarounds like I prepare everything before I even start cooking so I don't misjudge as much. But doing it alone is hard. I wish I could take cooking lessons or cook with someone while I get more used to it. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.