Do you use fans? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you use fans?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
I don't like being hot and find it so miserable that I have fans in every room. I don't run them all the time just when I'm in the room but every room except the bathroom has one. 
Do most people  use fans in their house now or am I in the minority?

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I don`t use fans; so long as the "fly count" is very low, I open my patio doors for airflow.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not sure most of us can afford the leccy for fans  :) we open all the doors/windows when it's warm or just sit outside.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I only use a fan if it’s very hot indoors, I figure that the sweat will evaporate taking heat with it into the air, that’s what I figure anyway. Trouble is if you turn it off to sleep say i will feel a lot hotter than before. Also I do suffer from tinnitus and yes, a fan definitely makes it worse.

To cool down I’ve found a hot water bottle which has been in the freezer for a while under the feet works wonders, that’s if it’s very very hot of course. Naturally I don’t fully freeze the water bottle. I think I’ll be trying it again next week by all accounts, ie very hot weather expected.

Looking at pictures of snow can help a little I have found. I’m wondering if watching a snowy film might also? 🤔

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Its a good question with the rise in temperature expected the end of next week. I don't have a fan as Mike says, it's moving warm air around the room. There are tips on Google. I take cool showers that works for me. Drink plenty water, I shall be in the shade out side when the heat wave arrives
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use fan but not in bedroom 

I keep all curtains and bkubds closed mainly ad I can't tolerate sunlight in my eyes but it does block heat out 

If all else fails open door for bit air flow 

I live in bungalow abs it's lively cosy warm in winter but it holds the heat in so not so pleasant in summer 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't use fans because it makes me feel hotter. I usually close my blinds and open the window. My living room thankfully is lovely during the day but from about 5 the sun is full on it and then it just gets so hot.
    At night, regardless of how hot it gets my bedroom window stays shut. I have a fear of open windows or small gaps in curtains at night.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    I have to have a fan on whilst trying to sleep. Just makes me feel  more comfortable as if I can breath better 🤷
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have to carry a hand fan with me all year round - does that count ha ha 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,772 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use a fan but only when it's pretty hot - over 30ºC - and only at night - pointing at me when I am going to sleep.

I'm sure there is perfectly valid science explaining why fans are of no use but at the end of the day I find having the fan blowing on me when it's really hot does indeed make me feel cooler.

Perhaps a placebo effect, I have no idea!
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
  • Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Not sure most of us can afford the leccy for fans  :) we open all the doors/windows when it's warm or just sit outside.
    I didn't think about that and sorry if my question was insensitive. I honestly don't notice an increase in my electric bill even with them on but I guess it might depend on the fan. 

• Biblioklept
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I use a fan but only when it's pretty hot - over 30ºC - and only at night - pointing at me when I am going to sleep.

I'm sure there is perfectly valid science explaining why fans are of no use but at the end of the day I find having the fan blowing on me when it's really hot does indeed make me feel cooler.

Perhaps a placebo effect, I have no idea!
    I don't think it's a placebo and I agree with everyone saying it doesn't cool the room but that's not why I use it, it cools me down as it's blowing on me and makes me feel more comfortable in the heat. Only way I can sleep especially when it's really hot

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.