Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you use fans?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
I don't like being hot and find it so miserable that I have fans in every room. I don't run them all the time just when I'm in the room but every room except the bathroom has one. 
Do most people  use fans in their house now or am I in the minority?

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I don`t use fans; so long as the "fly count" is very low, I open my patio doors for airflow.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not sure most of us can afford the leccy for fans  :) we open all the doors/windows when it's warm or just sit outside.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I only use a fan if it’s very hot indoors, I figure that the sweat will evaporate taking heat with it into the air, that’s what I figure anyway. Trouble is if you turn it off to sleep say i will feel a lot hotter than before. Also I do suffer from tinnitus and yes, a fan definitely makes it worse.

To cool down I’ve found a hot water bottle which has been in the freezer for a while under the feet works wonders, that’s if it’s very very hot of course. Naturally I don’t fully freeze the water bottle. I think I’ll be trying it again next week by all accounts, ie very hot weather expected.

Looking at pictures of snow can help a little I have found. I’m wondering if watching a snowy film might also? 🤔

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,416 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Its a good question with the rise in temperature expected the end of next week. I don't have a fan as Mike says, it's moving warm air around the room. There are tips on Google. I take cool showers that works for me. Drink plenty water, I shall be in the shade out side when the heat wave arrives
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use fan but not in bedroom 

I keep all curtains and bkubds closed mainly ad I can't tolerate sunlight in my eyes but it does block heat out 

If all else fails open door for bit air flow 

I live in bungalow abs it's lively cosy warm in winter but it holds the heat in so not so pleasant in summer 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't use fans because it makes me feel hotter. I usually close my blinds and open the window. My living room thankfully is lovely during the day but from about 5 the sun is full on it and then it just gets so hot.
    At night, regardless of how hot it gets my bedroom window stays shut. I have a fear of open windows or small gaps in curtains at night.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    I have to have a fan on whilst trying to sleep. Just makes me feel  more comfortable as if I can breath better 🤷
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have to carry a hand fan with me all year round - does that count ha ha 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,049 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use a fan but only when it's pretty hot - over 30ºC - and only at night - pointing at me when I am going to sleep.

I'm sure there is perfectly valid science explaining why fans are of no use but at the end of the day I find having the fan blowing on me when it's really hot does indeed make me feel cooler.

Perhaps a placebo effect, I have no idea!
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
  • Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Not sure most of us can afford the leccy for fans  :) we open all the doors/windows when it's warm or just sit outside.
    I didn't think about that and sorry if my question was insensitive. I honestly don't notice an increase in my electric bill even with them on but I guess it might depend on the fan. 

• Biblioklept
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I use a fan but only when it's pretty hot - over 30ºC - and only at night - pointing at me when I am going to sleep.

I'm sure there is perfectly valid science explaining why fans are of no use but at the end of the day I find having the fan blowing on me when it's really hot does indeed make me feel cooler.

Perhaps a placebo effect, I have no idea!
    I don't think it's a placebo and I agree with everyone saying it doesn't cool the room but that's not why I use it, it cools me down as it's blowing on me and makes me feel more comfortable in the heat. Only way I can sleep especially when it's really hot