Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

2 child benefit cap.

Options
13»

Comments

• Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you that's interesting 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • jamrumples
    jamrumples Community member Posts: 112 Connected
    Options
    I cannot even believe what I’ve read, about benefit street Britain. Especially considering that this forum is based on being on benefitsz so very small minded. WOW. 
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    I cannot even believe what I’ve read, about benefit street Britain. Especially considering that this forum is based on being on benefitsz so very small minded. WOW. 
    I think what was said was to keep in place a restriction that was abused by many young teen girls who were quite open in saying that 'the more kids I have the more money I make out of the benefit system'.
    In addition housing policy was at the time that if a young unmarried girl of say 21 who had 4 children she would have had a greater chance of securing a council property as well as being given more housing benefit to pay for a bigger home.

If you want a free for all and allow people to manipulate the benefit system carry on.
  • Fragile
    Fragile Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Does anybody know if this is going to be changed? Any of the benefit caps? I think there has been voted on it before but can’t be sure. I just wondered if anybody had any inkling as to whether the government were going to scrap this and help choldrem in our country not go to bed Hungry. 
    I wish they would I didn't even know of it until recent I don't get why they did it. Why does a baby not deserve support and security from the government. Everyone should have the safety net. They know child in poverty is less likely so succeed I guess they do it purposely to keep people down
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 767 Pioneering
    Options
    Fragile said:
     They know child in poverty is less likely so succeed I guess they do it purposely to keep people down
    I don't agree that child poverty is done on 'purpose' or it's done to keep people down.

When I first started claiming benefits both my kids were still in Secondary Education and money was really, really tight ... this didn't stop them applying themselves to achieve.  Were both A* students and both Uni Graduates.  We went without to give them the best we could, to focus on their future

I didn't have an issue with going without, but I did have an issue with the school exploiting their hard work to manipulate the figures ... look at us ... benefit kids being taught well sort of thing.  And it does happen

On one hand I don't agree with benefit caps or no help after 2 kids ... on the other I can sort of see the need for it.  It's a shame the majority in real need have to suffer for those just working/milking the system and getting those in need a bad name

An emotive subject and in no way is my post meant to offend
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.