The passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Options
Community_Scope
Community_Scope Posts: 991 Scope online community team
We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Her Majesty The Queen. And we offer our condolences to her whole family. Over many decades she was patron to hundreds of charities and organisations, and bestowed honours on hundreds of disabled people. The Queen's tireless support of charities has made a huge difference and helped many organisations support millions of people all over the UK. The Queen leaves a remarkable legacy for all of us.

Comments

• Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Pioneering
    Options
    What a Woman...❤️
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Her Majesty The Queen
    May you Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fully agreed @Karen7788 <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    RIP Queen Elizabeth you will forever live in our memories one of a kind 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Also fully agreed @janer1967 <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • M_1967
    M_1967 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Options
    Whilst I am not a Royalist, I respect the Royal Family and in particular Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.  I am surprised at how much her death has affected me.  I feel a sad  sense of loss and am not good with change so I feel quite churned up inside.  It all feels strange. RIP and God Save The King.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    R.I.P our Queen
    God save the King
    Remember we are all living through history that will be known/taught about in years to come x
  • ProudMumForever
    ProudMumForever Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Options
    Her passing marks the end of an era.
    Such a beautiful lady.
    R.I.P. 
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    The passing of the Queen feels like the end of an era… My sincere condolences to the Royal family.. R.I.P ❤️ x x x 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

• wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options
    I loved our beloved princess Diana. However, I found myself completely moved to tears at the news of Her majesty the Queen dying. It all seems quite strange. Quite moving and sad. My heart goes out to Harry and William having gone through this with their mother.  I don't watch royal programs, but have watched quite a bit of bbci player on the whole process. I follow Harry and Megan on fb and just love them both. And I say I'm not a royalist. 
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options
    I never thought I would witness a king on the throne in my lifetime. It will be a very long time before we get another queen like Her majesty Queen Elizabeth II. History in the making. 
  • mrf1
    mrf1 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    Rest in peace! Really sad news. Highlights just how incredible she was.

How is everyone coping at the moment? We are all here for each other if anyone wishes to discuss this further  :)
    Very sad, it didn't hit home until I saw her majesty's coffin. Even our cat was acting weird last week,  still is, called Charlie, it makes you realise what you've got in life, 
  • daresbury1978
    daresbury1978 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    I have to admit that I do not share the sentiments recorded above, I am a fully paid up member of the British Republican movement and look forward to the protest action that will rapidly and forcefully develop following the Public Funeral next Monday ("NOT MY KING"! etc.) Thus, contrary to the lies being broadcast just now (a) I am not in mourning; and (b) I totally object to the non democratic imposition on myself and the British public of an unelected leader like Charles. Mention above about "history in the making" is interesting because that history will be a  near total fiction created by the powerful in our society for whom the monarchy is their free ticket to rich privilege.  
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,382 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm into the royals, would rather have royalty then not have royalty.
    @daresbury1978 i dont have an opionion on your beliefs. However a protest against a person who are attending their mothers funeral, I do disagree with. There's a time and place. The funeral isn't it. I don't really know what you, they, expect to achieve. Charles will reign regardless of protests. Says alot if people need to boycot an elderly lady's funeral with grieving family.
  • mrf1
    mrf1 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    I'm into the royals, would rather have royalty then not have royalty.
    @daresbury1978 i dont have an opionion on your beliefs. However a protest against a person who are attending their mothers funeral, I do disagree with. There's a time and place. The funeral isn't it. I don't really know what you, they, expect to achieve. Charles will reign regardless of protests. Says alot if people need to boycot an elderly lady's funeral with grieving family.
    Well said, any protesters will be dealt with swiftly I hope, I think the posters comments are very disrespectful. Queens head on coins, notes ect, but protesters are happy to have it in their wallet,  if they don't like the queen,  or royalty,  have nothing to do with anything that bears their ensign on or portrait, stamps, money, only place they will be with it on is in a court, and protesting at an old ladys funeral is despicable. 
  • daresbury1978
    daresbury1978 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    You are right Sandy_123 there is a "time and a place" and the Republic UK membership will not start our protest campaign until after the State Funeral "out of respect for the Queen."  What we expect to achieve is the end of Monarchy! (Have you heard the booing amongst the Welsh crowds today?). Charles will never enjoy the respect awarded to his mother! Protestors have the right to freely express their own opinions mrf1 as you do. We are in danger of becoming an increasingly repressive society. Sadly, the Mint only creates coins  with the Queens head on them. Money as "social control" perhaps? However, had they created a coin with Boris Johnson's head on them I might have had to throw them away! It is interesting to read your comments. However, monarchy in the UK is on its way out (thankfully!)
  • Jammie1967
    Jammie1967 Scope Member Posts: 3 Connected
    Options
    I was fortunate to accompany my mum and family to witness her being given a medal by Her Majesty. A very exciting and nervous day. But it was also very humbling 
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    Symon Hill wasn't interrupting any mourning directly, just the proclamation of the King in Oxford and was arrested. 
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    I think there's a wide array of responses to any death and there should be room for them all, grieving is normally complicated and some more complicated than others. We barely knew her really but she was the figurehead through the tail end of colonialism - though it's not over yet - and brutality done in her name in these islands and abroad - the Mau Mau rebellion and cover up. It's very difficult to seperate those roles for some who have appealed for justice & reparations in vain. Free speech is the kind of value we're supposed to uphold, although really it's a banner against the draconian not magic. But why is it not upheld now? I believe in equality. But at the same time I recognize that it is an end of an era and a momentous occasion that can be unsettling. But the living grassroots still matters more - now is not the time to fall out of solidarity with each other. 
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.