PIP appeals have risen by 111% !!!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP appeals have risen by 111% !!!!

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger

I don't know what the new success rate at initial application is but I imagine it's decreased for appeals to increase this much! Universal Credit appeals are up by 76% too!

Some highlights from the new stats (take from Benefits and Work)

There has been a massive increase in the number of PIP appeals being lodged and a big rise in the backlog waiting to be heard as a result, according to the latest statistics from HMCTS.

Compared to the April to June quarter last year, social security appeal numbers have increased by 81% to a total of 35,000 and the number of outstanding cases has risen by 61% to 59,000.

PIP appeals have risen by 111% and universal credit by 76%. 

PIP appeals now make up 71% of the appeal numbers with UC making up a further 14%.

The number of cases completed fell by 16%, mostly due to a fall of 21% in the number of PIP cases completed.

Success rates for appeals have mostly stayed steady, with victories for claimants running at

PIP 71%

DLA 66%

ESA 58%

However, UC success rates have risen by 9% to 55%.

I do wonder why ESA and DLA don't have as many appeals as UC and PIP but I suppose UC it won't just be WCA appeals

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Latest figures for normal rules claims cleared in the quarter ending July 2022 show:

• 44% of all new claim clearances (excluding withdrawn) and 50% of those who were assessed received an award.
    • 68% of all DLA reassessment clearances (excluding withdrawn) and 75% of those who were assessed received an award.

That’s the DWP link should anyone wish to look. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm probably misreading it but I saw these stats on that article:
    • 39% receive an award for normal rules new claims
    • 69% receive an award for normal rules DLA reassessment claims
    • 99% of SREL claimants are awarded PIP
    Either way can no longer say majority of PIP claims are awarded successfully which is really sad :( 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the stats @Biblioklept @bg844 :) 

Are the numbers around what you expected, or were they a surprise?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What I expected. The surge in new claims would always push the decline statistics up but it’s exceptionally wrong when a large proportion have to go to tribunal, a lot of people refuse to even consider this as an option due to the extreme anxiety the name ‘tribunal’ brings. I bet millions now have lost out on well needed support.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    bg844 said:
    What I expected. The surge in new claims would always push the decline statistics up but it’s exceptionally wrong when a large proportion have to go to tribunal, a lot of people refuse to even consider this as an option due to the extreme anxiety the name ‘tribunal’ brings. I bet millions now have lost out on well needed support.
    My wife included.
    When she was 63 (17 years ago) she filled out a DLA form. Obviously not getting any advice in making that claim or help with the form, it was a straight refusal.
    She didn't want to go to court over it so just left the decision as it was.
    When she was 70 she filled out an AA claim form which was successful at the highest rate.

She has had mobility and care needs for the past 20+ years and no doubt if she had sought help in filling out the DLA form or even advice when taking it to court, she would most certainly nave received the highest rates of both care and mobility.

I don't want to even think of the amount of money she has lost over the years.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    Options
    Because of cost of living crisis and pandemic I suspect more people are claiming disability benefits to get extra money, not realising the criteria for a successful claim, and are therefore being refused. If refused they will then appeal because they have nothing to lose or they convinced they are entitled. My neighbour applied for PIP and wasn't awarded, so she appealed, even though she didn't get any points because none of the descriptors applied to her( I helped fill in the form).She believed her diagnoses entitled her to PIP. I don't blame her for trying though everyone's struggling.
  • racyguy
    Options
    Because of cost of living crisis and pandemic I suspect more people are claiming disability benefits to get extra money, not realising the criteria for a successful claim, and are therefore being refused. If refused they will then appeal because they have nothing to lose or they convinced they are entitled. My neighbour applied for PIP and wasn't awarded, so she appealed, even though she didn't get any points because none of the descriptors applied to her( I helped fill in the form).She believed her diagnoses entitled her to PIP. I don't blame her for trying though everyone's struggling.
    I have to agree with you. People are putting in claims for everything these days in the hope of getting more income. Doing that and clogging up the appeal system is going to affect the genuine cases.
  • racyguy
    Options
    I have my PIP review in 2029 (10-year review from 2019) and to be honest I am already hating the system and worrying if it will be taken off me. Strange really that my wife has a 'for life' AA award.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    Options
    The system is really bizarre though I know people who have been awarded PIP in the past and then been refused on a review even though they have the same issues. I still believe though that a majority of current claims are refused even on appeal because they not actually entitled in the first place. There is a massive assumption that if they are in the ESA Support Group or equivalent that they are automatically entitled to PIP.  Even though the two benefits are for different things.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I still believe though that a majority of current claims are refused even on appeal because they not actually entitled in the first place.

That's not correct. The majority of people are awarded successfully without any problems. Those that are refused and continue to Tribunal, around 70% go on to be awarded successfully.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    That's not correct. The majority of people are awarded successfully without any problems.
    Unfortunately I’m not sure that can be said. Latest statistics indicate that only 39% of new PIP claims under ordinary rules result in an award.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/personal-independence-payment-statistics-april-2013-to-july-2022/personal-independence-payment-official-statistics-to-july-2022
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    That's not correct. The majority of people are awarded successfully without any problems.
    Unfortunately I’m not sure that can be said. Latest statistics indicate that only 39% of new PIP claims under ordinary rules result in an award.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/personal-independence-payment-statistics-april-2013-to-july-2022/personal-independence-payment-official-statistics-to-july-2022

Thanks calcotti. That's shocking! I know it used to be around 52%.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • HJP290
    HJP290 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Options
    I have had 2 assements with pip and 1 with new style esa i had a accidnet at work that pretty much ruined life and never had a refusal even tho my conditions are one off the most refused on my last pip reveiw i score 0 points on the mobility part when i rang and asked for copy off assement it i was ready to start my appeal  got all my paper work ready for when got descion letter and the descion maker rang me and said i just need ask you few questions as i dont agree with the medical assement doesnt match your evidence and she gave me full mobility :) no appeal needed . My boyfriend on the other hand has severe uncontrolled epilepsy and refused with uc and pip  luckly for him im stubborn as hell and took to appeal both was overturned before the tribunal . He has memory problems so i handled it. 
    They both agreed should never have been refused in first place . The medical and the mandorty reconsiderations have obviously not read the medical evidence i sent said he never been in hospital with it even tho i sent his discharge letters stating cluster sezuires and phycosis due to epilepsy . Or that never had injurys even though i sent pictures off him in hospital on oxygen because he was having that many he couldnt breath cover from he to foot in cuts stiches in head because he went down on pavement . I honestly think it is luck off draw with descion maker sometimes  . Which is so wrong for those people who cant do a appeal or have any one in there corner to fight for them . 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Deppi said:
    I read such posts, and I am sure as most people, can't fathom why so much money are lost on those tribunals, when they could have a better, more skilled/fit for the purpose, decision makers team. Its both a disgrace to smart economics and fail of a government protecting its people, lest forget the courts end up doing DWPs job. Appalling.
    I think that`s a bit harsh calling them unskilled and unfit for purpose.
    DWP, like many organisations, are not perfect; any problem at the "coal face" is most likely not because of the Health Assistants / DMs, it`s because of those further up the tree making the policies and telling the DMs / HAs what to do.
    As with everything in life, people only tend to comment on negative events, conversely there are very few who make encouraging & supporting comments following positive events.
    I`m aware that some people on here have had issues with the HAs and the DMSs, but I`ll also put money down that there are a fair few people who have had a good experience but don`t praise DWP for it (me being one).
    Putting aside the PIP process (in this instance), and as has already been mentioned, DWP is clogged with renewals and new applications.  If DWP is anything like the place I work, there will be pressure to meet KPIs.  It`s this pressure that can result in less rigorous checks which subsequently leads to incorrect decisions being made.  I`m not saying this is acceptable, what I am saying is that HAs and DMs are paid to do a job as dictated by people further up the ladder than they are which means they probably don`t deserve all the grief that is thrown their way.

• racyguy
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Deppi said:
    I read such posts, and I am sure as most people, can't fathom why so much money are lost on those tribunals, when they could have a better, more skilled/fit for the purpose, decision makers team. Its both a disgrace to smart economics and fail of a government protecting its people, lest forget the courts end up doing DWPs job. Appalling.
    DWP, like many organisations, are not perfect; any problem at the "coal face" is most likely not because of the Health Assistants / DMs, it`s because of those further up the tree making the policies and telling the DMs / HAs what to do.
    As with everything in life, people only tend to comment on negative events, conversely there are very few who make encouraging & supporting comments following positive events.
    I`m aware that some people on here have had issues with the HAs and the DMSs, but I`ll also put money down that there are a fair few people who have had a good experience but don`t praise DWP for it (me being one).
    Putting aside the PIP process (in this instance), and as has already been mentioned, DWP is clogged with renewals and new applications.  If DWP is anything like the place I work, there will be pressure to meet KPIs.  It`s this pressure that can result in less rigorous checks which subsequently leads to incorrect decisions being made.  I`m not saying this is acceptable, what I am saying is that HAs and DMs are paid to do a job as dictated by people further up the ladder than they are which means they probably don`t deserve all the grief that is thrown their way.

I would add another reason for refusal - poorly completed claim form, the lack of credible evidence and the inability to put over your points to the assessor.
    To be honest I am guilty of all three - my wife's DLA claim -outright refusal, couldn't face a tribunal so gave up.
    My own DLA renewal in 2004 - outright refusal couldn't face a tribunal so gave up. Previously awarded High Care and Mobility 1996 -2004.
    In 2011 I thought about re-applying for DLA. Thankfully I didn't need to fill out the form as my CPN had a Council Welfare Officer do it for me. Result - High Care & High Mobility
    2019 transfer to PIP my GP wrote a 4-page report to put with the form identifying every descriptor that matched my issues - Result Enhanced Care & Enhanced Mobility for 10 years (2029)
  • racyguy
    Options
    When 2029 comes around and now having no one to help out I very much accept that I will end up with an outright refusal
  • Cartini
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Cartini said:
    Deppi said:

I would add another reason for refusal - poorly completed claim form, the lack of credible evidence and the inability to put over your points to the assessor.
    To be honest I am guilty of all three - my wife's DLA claim -outright refusal, couldn't face a tribunal so gave up.
    My own DLA renewal in 2004 - outright refusal couldn't face a tribunal so gave up. Previously awarded High Care and Mobility 1996 -2004.
    In 2011 I thought about re-applying for DLA. Thankfully I didn't need to fill out the form as my CPN had a Council Welfare Officer do it for me. Result - High Care & High Mobility
    2019 transfer to PIP my GP wrote a 4-page report to put with the form identifying every descriptor that matched my issues - Result Enhanced Care & Enhanced Mobility for 10 years (2029)
    Thank you, I didn`t consider those points.

• Cartini
    Options
    racyguy said:
    When 2029 comes around and now having no one to help out I very much accept that I will end up with an outright refusal
    2029 is a fair distance away yet, things may change for the better before then.
    Not only that, would you not be subject to a light touch review instead of a full review?

• poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, poorly completed claim packs don't help. However, it's understandable because when you open that form and have a look, you're faced with complete dread and fear because you just don't know where to start.
    Those with health conditions battle on regardless and it becomes the norm for us to just struggle each day.
  • Cartini
    Options
    Yes, poorly completed claim packs don't help. However, it's understandable because when you open that form and have a look, you're faced with complete dread and fear because you just don't know where to start.
    Those with health conditions battle on regardless and it becomes the norm for us to just struggle each day.
    With you there poppy.  Because of all the studying I`ve done over the years (professionally and educationally) I`m usually not one that can be stumped by questionaires / application forms, but the PIP form did exactly that.  I read it all the way through then put it aside for a day or two while the "back of my brain" worked on the answers.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.