Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

PIP appeals have risen by 111% !!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What a great strategy @Cartini. It can often be helpful to put something confusing aside while we think about it!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    Oddball said:
    Whatever the debates maybe, These numbers are shocking...=/
    On the other hand, you could say that the DWP are doing their job properly and weeding out those claims that never had a hope of being accepted and awarded due to the truth that some claimants decided to chance their luck simply to get more money.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    edited October 2022
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Oddball said:
    On the other hand, you could say that the DWP are doing their job properly and weeding out those claims that never had a hope of being accepted and awarded due to the truth that some claimants decided to chance their luck simply to get more money.
    Sorry everyone I've been sectioned so I'm now back. I believe this is the reason so many claims are being refused peeps are trying to get a quick buck. The disability community gets awfully defensive at the claim that people can be a scam artist, but it happens everywhere the disabled are no exception. The DWP are just doing their jobs, it no coincidence the amount of claims has increased why theres a cost of living crisis going on, BTW the claim forms have been confusing for years it's not a new thing.  DWP always get a bad rap, being accused of lying in assessments etc, no doubt it happens but not to the extent claimed. They just focusing on what is relevant to the discriptors, nothing else is important. Plus people don't fill the forms in properly, that's the number 1 reason entitled people are refused and don't answer questions properly.
  • racyguy
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Oddball said:
    Sorry everyone I've been sectioned so I'm now back. I believe this is the reason so many claims are being refused peeps are trying to get a quick buck. The disability community gets awfully defensive at the claim that people can be a scam artist, but it happens everywhere the disabled are no exception. The DWP are just doing their jobs, it no coincidence the amount of claims has increased why theres a cost of living crisis going on, BTW the claim forms have been confusing for years it's not a new thing.  DWP always get a bad rap, being accused of lying in assessments etc, no doubt it happens but not to the extent claimed. They just focusing on what is relevant to the discriptors, nothing else is important. Plus people don't fill the forms in properly, that's the number 1 reason entitled people are refused and don't answer questions properly.
    I agree entirely

Been there and done that too. Spent 30 days in a secure unit. Mind you I had my own bedroom - others were in a dorm. I was eventually released into my wife's care. Funny thing I always remember that sugar was the currency!

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    racyguy said:
    racyguy said:
    Oddball said:
    I agree entirely

Been there and done that too. Spent 30 days in a secure unit. Mind you I had my own bedroom - others were in a dorm. I was eventually released into my wife's care. Funny thing I always remember that sugar was the currency!

As do I.

• AilleantSian
    AilleantSian Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Because of cost of living crisis and pandemic I suspect more people are claiming disability benefits to get extra money, not realising the criteria for a successful claim, and are therefore being refused. If refused they will then appeal because they have nothing to lose or they convinced they are entitled. My neighbour applied for PIP and wasn't awarded, so she appealed, even though she didn't get any points because none of the descriptors applied to her( I helped fill in the form).She believed her diagnoses entitled her to PIP. I don't blame her for trying though everyone's struggling.
    I put off applying for any financial support although my conditions and daily
     impact have had from birth. It was the rise in cost of living that I made the decision to apply as could no longer afford to not apply even with a goodaying job. 

It looks like I was a lucky one who was awarded without having to appeal, although I suspect if I had of appealed I would have got mobility aspect as well but didn't have the mental strength to go through the appeal with the risk they outlined when I spoke to them. They told me could potentially  loose award they already awarded me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    Options
    Because of cost of living crisis and pandemic I suspect more people are claiming disability benefits to get extra money, not realising the criteria for a successful claim, and are therefore being refused. If refused they will then appeal because they have nothing to lose or they convinced they are entitled. My neighbour applied for PIP and wasn't awarded, so she appealed, even though she didn't get any points because none of the descriptors applied to her( I helped fill in the form).She believed her diagnoses entitled her to PIP. I don't blame her for trying though everyone's struggling.
    I put off applying for any financial support although my conditions and daily
     impact have had from birth. It was the rise in cost of living that I made the decision to apply as could no longer afford to not apply even with a goodaying job. 

It looks like I was a lucky one who was awarded without having to appeal, although I suspect if I had of appealed I would have got mobility aspect as well but didn't have the mental strength to go through the appeal with the risk they outlined when I spoke to them. They told me could potentially  loose award they already awarded me.
    I completely understand why people who are disabled have decided to apply now, cos of extra help. I did the same thing I was surviving off ESA for 10 years, I applied only hoping to get standard daily living and ended up getting enhanced on both. I would of been happy on the reduced rate and definitely wouldn't have appealed. Appealing is risky it not worth doing unless you would get more points, my aunty appealed she was getting standard on both, had to have another assessment and ended up losing her standard mobility because she answered slightly differently at the assessment. The biggest issue is that people attend thinking it's like the WCA, they focus on their inability to work and not the descriptors themselves and then  accuse the assessors of lying. The descriptors are all the assessors care about. They not going to report every word mentioned in the meeting.
  • racyguy
    Options
    Both above good examples of making the right choice.
    However those two cases will not feature in the massive increase in appeals. I still say that the majority of those appeals will fail eventually whilst the minority will get an award.
    People will try anything to get more money.
  • elahrairah
    elahrairah Scope Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    But the stats show that the majority of people who go to tribunal win, and the anecdotal evidence on here is that many people who deserve support give up because they can't face the tribunal (I too have done so myself in the past).  maybe people are like me and the pandemic has made them worse and so they've had another go at the system?  or like my partner and 200,000 others who have been made disabled by covid and are now having to navigate a system them didn't think theyd have to use?  or the cost of living has made lots of people who previously gave up rather than go to tribunal have another go? 

we can see from this thread alone that people giving up rather than going to tribunal is no indication of not being disabled enough to need support, why assume everyone is a thief instead of 'some people are chancers but most people aren't being given a fair assessment'?  that seems really cynical and kind of hateful.  as disabled people don't you have people treat you like you're a faker or thief?  i do, my partner does, every other disabled person i've ever spoken to does.  but here you are doing exactly the same thing.  i guess that for some people they want a society where they are the only people who are deserving and no-one else is.  where's the empathy?
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.