Silly things that make you anxious - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Silly things that make you anxious

Options
2»

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,945 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would not open it @leeCal or make sure chain is on
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ha ha thats so me @Teddybear12 when we go some were new the first thing i do is check online before we go so i know were the toilets are, lock down was a nightmare x
  • SueHeath
    Options
    yep but we need that comfort @Teddybear12 i can understand that, it would be sods law the time we haven't checked is the time we will need it xx
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Brown envelopes in the post!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @leeCal dwp use white ones as well 
  • Fat_Jon
    Fat_Jon Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    The silly thing which makes me anxious is grandchildren coming to visit, because I feel that I can't do all the activities they find second nature. 

I was in the kitchen one day showing my granddaughter how to make Spanish omelette, and she said "Grandpa, is this the longest you have ever been standing up?" She is 8. 

I do spend a lot of time sitting down.....
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Certain visitors at Christmas make me anxious, especially clumsy ones who break things. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sure they value spending quality time with you @Fat_Jon :) 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • MaryElizabeth
    MaryElizabeth Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    My dog getting older.
    loud noises.
    people fussing around me.
    going outside and bumping in to people that knew me before I was like this.
    my phone ringing.
    dirt and mess.
    plans changing.
    busy places.
    the doctors office /hospitals.
    the news .
    it goes on 🙄 and on 🙄…..
    I never used to feel this way it all hit me around three years ago.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @MaryElizabeth :) Do you know what might have brought it on 3 years ago?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • MaryElizabeth
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @MaryElizabeth :) Do you know what might have brought it on 3 years ago?
    I have chronic pain and genetic conditions which I had always kind of managed, was working full time then not realising how bad I was because I would work then have zero energy or ability to do anything in the evening and weekends.
    then I was involved in an accident that had a big impact on my mental well-being and since the accident I have been struggling with extreme anxiety possibly some agoraphobia and it’s had a knock on effect on my physical well being.
    But looking back at it I think it was a forced coping prior to that.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Good morning @MaryElizabeth i hope your well this Saturday morning.
    I can associate a little with you, i have found that since i have been more house bound and had to pack up work, my confidence has plumited a lot and i rarely go out on my own now.
    Saying that, what has helped me a little, my doctor is concerned that not moving as much as i used to can cause other problems, so he has incouraged me to walk a little, outside, each day. As hubby doesn't always want or not ready when i go for my little walk around the block, i have gone out on my own and have been amaized at how many people will say good morning or afternoon to me, it does put a smile on my face.
  • MaryElizabeth
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Good morning @MaryElizabeth i hope your well this Saturday morning.
    I can associate a little with you, i have found that since i have been more house bound and had to pack up work, my confidence has plumited a lot and i rarely go out on my own now.
    Saying that, what has helped me a little, my doctor is concerned that not moving as much as i used to can cause other problems, so he has incouraged me to walk a little, outside, each day. As hubby doesn't always want or not ready when i go for my little walk around the block, i have gone out on my own and have been amaized at how many people will say good morning or afternoon to me, it does put a smile on my face.
    Hi Sue,
    That’s very much the same for me.
    it can help a lot just having the fresh air I think.
    And people are very nice when I do go out .
  • SueHeath
    Options
    It will get better @MaryElizabeth the more you do it, you will have some days were you don't feel as confident, but don't let it stop you darling, i also think its some thing that happens naturally with some of us as we get older.
    How are you this morning ?
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,751 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mine is 
    people eating in front of me when I'm not allowed it 
    dogs 
    parties 
    people giving me pictures.
    surprise
    people telling people off or me
    people shouting 
  • Fat_Jon
    Fat_Jon Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    I have chronic pain and genetic conditions which I had always kind of managed, was working full time then not realising how bad I was because I would work then have zero energy or ability to do anything in the evening and weekends.
    then I was involved in an accident that had a big impact on my mental well-being and since the accident I have been struggling with extreme anxiety possibly some agoraphobia and it’s had a knock on effect on my physical well being.
    But looking back at it I think it was a forced coping prior to that.
    I can understand all of this, and you have my sincere sympathies. 

I know the agoraphobic feeling only too well MaryElizabeth. I get that so regularly, because I feel I am invisible to the general public. It is so easy to just sit inside rather than go out where people seem to blank me. This may all be in my head, but I get the impression that only really thin, fit and healthy people matter to most these days. 

I have to force myself outside, sometimes even just into the back garden, some days. However, once I get there I do enjoy watching the wildlife or just looking at the flowers. I have positioned a garden chair into a place that I believe is not overlooked by neighbours, and which gives a good view of most of the garden. That is my happy place. 
  • MaryElizabeth
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    It will get better @MaryElizabeth the more you do it, you will have some days were you don't feel as confident, but don't let it stop you darling, i also think its some thing that happens naturally with some of us as we get older.
    How are you this morning ?
    I am doing ok today thank you, Hope you are well .
    I hope it gets better I am trying to do more things and trying to set up a business which I think would help me a lot with gaining back a sense of independence.

• MaryElizabeth
    Options
    Hi Jon,
    what you said about feeling invisible is very much how I feel too.
    the chair that you have in the garden as a safe place is very familiar.
    last summer when it was boiling hot I actually had a char inside a polly tunnel in the garden so no one could see me…. I was honestly being slow cooked lol.
     I love gardening though so having that time I find very relaxing.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.