Silly things that make you anxious — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Silly things that make you anxious

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
Just wondering what yours are...maybe there will be similarities and people can see they are not alone!

For me:

- Post arriving
- Doorbell going off
- Phone ringing even if it's not for me
- Driving on bigger roads like motorways
- Going out
- Parking my car when someone is waiting for me
- Speaking to strangers

I'm sure I missed some but your turn :)

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When out not funding a disabled toilet 

Waking up one morning with no vision 

My sons safety when he is out 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @janer1967 I think I would be very scared by the 2nd one so not silly at all. Also the 3rd is very reasonable as a mother I would say. :)

The toilet one I can relate to, I try not to drink too much fluid if I am going to be out the the day as I can't use toilets away from home! :D 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Having a dead mouse placed on my front doorstep, I’m hoping a cat did it.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Running out of toothpaste always need at least 3 spare tubes.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always worry about a stranger breaking into my home. I started locking the door in the day now.

My kids safety everytime they go anywhere 

Car journeys 

Loads of other things

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,625 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We'd be here all day if I listed everything that gave me anxiety.  :D  Some are justified through past experience etc though.  I don't think a lot of the things on here so far are silly!

So for a silly one...tense music before a dramatic TV scene is one that always gets me.  I know that's exactly what it's designed to do, but I'm always surprised by how my body physically reacts to it, even though I know it's not real!!
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Just leaving the house. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Most if not all of the ones listed so far. 

66Mustang said:

- Post arriving
    - Doorbell going off
    - Phone ringing even if it's not for me
    - Driving on bigger roads like motorways
    - Going out
    - Parking my car when someone is waiting for me
    - Speaking to strangers

I'm sure I missed some but your turn :)

Thanks for reading.
    I'd expand this one to any time someone is waiting for me. When I used to shop in person I'd get terribly anxious when trying to put away change / pack shopping etc. Especially if anyone is waiting behind me. And the anxiety would make me rush and become more likely to drop items making the whole situation worse.
    Realistically I know it's silly but it really bothered me. 
    woodbine said:
    Running out of toothpaste always need at least 3 spare tubes.
    I do this with toilet roll and bottled water. I have to have at least one un-opened packet of toilet roll in or I get really stressed and worry over it. :D 

We'd be here all day if I listed everything that gave me anxiety.  :D  Some are justified through past experience etc though.  I don't think a lot of the things on here so far are silly!

So for a silly one...tense music before a dramatic TV scene is one that always gets me.  I know that's exactly what it's designed to do, but I'm always surprised by how my body physically reacts to it, even though I know it's not real!!
    Same here! It'd be easier to list what doesn't give me anxiety but if I think too much about it I'm sure I'd start worrying. 
    The part about dramatic music is really interesting. I'm really keenly aware of slight changes in my body which most people don't seem to notice, so I always think something is wrong. It's led to me avoiding things I previously enjoyed and became a bit of a vicious circle. I've started just trying to sit with the feeling and remind myself it's normal but of course the anxiety kicks in worrying it's not. 
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    Invitations arriving through the door, basically getting invited any where. I feel so guilty saying no all the time to family events but it just puts me right out my comfort zone.

Most people think what will I wear and I think what excuse can I make this time.

Having to go out anywhere without my husband. When I say out the only places I go is hospital, GP appointment.

Never went to sons wedding, but we all had a nice meal the next day at our house.

I have a really understanding daughter in law as she has been in our family for 15 years ever since she was just 14 years old. I'm really lucky that she gets my disabilities and has my back 100% she's our very own star.

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    List's

I will make a list of things that need doing or if i have a busy week put the jobs/things into days, 
    then i will stress if i have to much on the list or o forgot an item on the list. Ha ha i can't win x
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    janer1967 said:

@janer1967. I’ve brought up three sons and found it more worrying when they was young adults. Top tip, get all his mates phone numbers, then if he’s late home or you can’t contact him you can ring his mates, that’s what I used to do. They all used to laugh about it. 
  • janer1967
    Options
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Karen7788
    @janer1967

A tip I heard from a relative's colleague/friend

If your children go out for the night, and they are not back in time, go and pick them up in your pyjamas and dressing gown, they will only be late once!
  • janer1967
    Options
    @66Mustang I can't go Puck him up and half time he changes where he is going.  Could put tracker on his phone but its not where he is more if he is safe 

He is usually with others but not when he walks home 

I know I'm like any other parent will never stop worrying 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @janer1967 well I think it was just a joke but he might have done it for real, knowing him, I don't know!!
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Karen7788 said:
    janer1967 said:

@janer1967. I’ve brought up three sons and found it more worrying when they was young adults. Top tip, get all his mates phone numbers, then if he’s late home or you can’t contact him you can ring his mates, that’s what I used to do. They all used to laugh about it. 
    Yep i was lucky we became friends with the lads mates parents so we had their phone numbers as well, i do understand what your saying Janer  it is very worrying one of the worst parts of being a parent, i don't think we ever stop worrying about our children xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ordering a Subway sandwich.

Dress codes, especially for bars and clubs.

Not knowing whether a shop will accept card instead of cash, even though basically all of them do :D 

Forgetting my PIN (which has happened to me before).

Something being delivered while I'm in the bathroom.

I have loads, but there are a few!

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Tori_Scope those are all really good ones, exactly the kind of things I know others get nervous over but which don't matter!!

The bathroom one made me laugh. Maybe TMI but I have some problems with my stomach which are exacerbated by anxiety. When I need the loo I get anxious that a delivery might come when I am in there which makes the issue worse but helps me go to the loo more quickly :D maybe a rare situation where the anxiety is helpful.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, I know the feeling @66Mustang! Showering, too. I'm not sure the postie wants to see me in my towel, suds in my hair...

Returning items I've bought or ordered online is another.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A knock on my front door after dark 😳

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.