help with cost — Scope | Disability forum

help with cost

sandy55 Member Posts: 1 Listener
hello, im sorry to trouble you. i am the carer for my 35yr old son who is suffering with chronic fibromyalgia, bone degenerative disease, he has to use wheelchair  and crutches as he can only walk a few steps before his legs give way and he falls, liver/kidney problems, diabetes, severe mental health issues and IBS.  i have to wash his clothes and bed clothes every couple days as you can imagine, but my washing machine has broken and i cant afford another one. i am having to use the bath to wash his/our clothes etc. is their any help i can get with the cost of another washing machine please. my son gets pip and esa and i get carers allowance/esa.  my son pays a portion of rent and council tax. we do not get discount on water bills etc. many thanks


  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    If you ask CAB to apply for a grant from a charity you should be entitled to a washing machine under the circumstances... google 
    Turn2us and see what results there are as there are different grants for individual needs 

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sandy55 welcome to the community and I am sorry you are having such a tough time.

    Scope does not give financial assistance or grants, but you may find it helpful to use this online grants search.

    Please remember charities and grant-giving trusts rarely give money for things that you could get through, or could be funded by, statutory sources, such as benefits. Please use the online benefits calculator first.

    Do you claim any of these benefits? 
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income Support
    • income-related Employment And Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Child Tax Credit awarded at a rate higher than the family element.
    If you do, you could be entitled to a discount on your water rates.
    Senior online community officer


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.