Need advice with son's bladder issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need advice with son's bladder issues

Options
flower1
flower1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi, regrading enuresis issues. my son is 8 years old and not dry during  THE DAY. we have tried everything. it seems that he cannot control his bladder. we have been referred to a NHS clinic who suggested that he should use the bathroom every hour, drink loads, keep a diary etc. nothing helped. they started suggesting that he may be immature (which he is not ) or not trying hard enough. believe me, he tried so much. he feels awful that his younger brother who is three is already dried during the day. he is a normal child who achieved all his millstones at the expected rate. he is pretty clever. please, I beg you, if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear from them. life is really challenging since I have to change his clothing few times a day. I am not talking even about nightimes. his friends started noticing the smell and tease him somtimes. his self-esteem is affec ted. I would be very grateful for any suggestions. BTW, we have tried homeopathie, osteopath, EFT etc

Comments

• smiler43
    smiler43 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Options
    hi such a relief to know I'm not only one I cannot look  after my son because I am a care home he is 6 and he has had issues with bring dry during night he has been told he has a week bladder he is still in nappy pants at night glad I'm not only one,has been through a lot and had behavioural problems as he cannot be with me.
    I had till age 4 I'm hoping he will get dryer with age x
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @flower1 and @smiler43
    and a warm welcome to you both. I am very glad you found us.
    You have given me something of a 'blast from the past'. 66 now, I think I had eneuresis up to the age of 12 or 13. It was night-time only, but it was awful. I couldn't go on overnight visits anywhere without feeling dread and anxiety.
    Is it possible, @flower1, that they were referring to 'immaturity of the bladder', which would suggest that the bladder had not developed properly, rather than immaturity in your son? It would make more sense. And I understand what you mean about teasing and self-esteem problems - it's an issue children are very cruel about. Is there any medical path you have not tried? Referral to a consultant perhaps? Just for it to be so long-lasting does suggest there might be a physiological cause.
    I know that my own long-lasting issues were largely down to stress and anxiety, relating to my parents' failing marriage and psychological abuse that continued after they broke up. Your son clearly has some stressful issues to cope with, @smiler43.
    Love and patience, and a steady refusal to treat wetting as a 'big deal' will help, but I'm sure you've both tried that already. Just keep it up, and I hope we'll find some resources for you.
    Warmest best wishes to you both, and to your children,
    Richard

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @flower1, and welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear about your current situation, it must be really difficult for both you and your son and I'm sorry to hear that you haven't found the right help yet. Have you considered seeing a different GP to the one who originally referred you to the clinic? Having a second opinion may be beneficial, and they may know of alternative services or resources that are better placed to help.

Alternatively, ERIC (the bladder and bowel charity) have a helpline who may be able to offer some alternative suggestions too. I really hope you can find something that works, and please do keep us updated.

Brightness