RECIPE IDEAS - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

RECIPE IDEAS

Options

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Nigelrl Pleased to meet you welcome. First can I add my voice if you do not mind. Understand have difficulty with using knives and equipment so make use of food processor slicers and attachments..

Will this week on my food processor do a batch of carrots and have them already sliced. Use this for onions and peppers and zucchini .

Make it easy for yourself. What do like to do simple food and make it your own. Have a look on the tins or produce your buy. All these firms have websites and recipes hubs and ideas to use their products.

Plus sometimes sign up to email news letters. Never know what they might give you. Know a lad who prints off all the coupons from the certain websites of food companies and uses them. No problem they want your business. Remember that.

Just been on Napolina website use their products and loads of simple easy recipes.  Guess what adapt them to my way and needs if it says put a certain ingredient in it . Put something in you like.

Also I sure myself and my friend  @Victoriad plus @fishingmum can help or advise.

Also be like me have a folder create on. Write in it and on A4 paper bulleted itemised so you can follow it easier. I take so long and have limited mental capability and with my disability. Can start at around 5pm to create something by 8pm still standing and constantly stopping because my mind is all over the place.

All A4 recipes in plastic folders. So I do not spill anything over. Have done that. Regularly and the incidents keep coming. More like Frank Spencer and Victor Meldrew in the kitchen.  Sorry to shatter illusions even my good self have issues . Either laugh or cry. Well did when I spent most nights wondering why my food is not cooking. Suddenly realised not switched on the slow cooker or get my head in a spin.  Sometimes and have burnt stuff .. Sorry about me but am and have done this so invested in looking at simple ways to cut down time.

Am human bet Gordon Ramsay makes mistakes. Do know made beans on toast took him half an hour to get the beans out the toaster. Thought throw that in. lol

One simple way is buying a slow cooker for meat.  You can buy small ones for singletons like my self.  So simple did this last night very tired so put in on auto took three hours.   Added in water and stock cube made up. Then already cooked . Used that with simple frozen vegetables defrosted boiling water. Kettle. Put veg in a bowl or basin water. Then drain water veg cooked.

Easy to find simple sauces and jars with ingredients in them like  Pasta Sauce got Onions , Garlic, Tomatoes in it. Use that in stockpot or pan add already cooked veg and chicken plus stock from slow cooker. Hey presto simple meal because all you are doing is gently reheating, warming through everything.

Wish you the best am here anytime as anybody will say to you. Am here for advice and tips, tricks short cuts and I sure.

My friend  @Victoria and @fishingmum are on hand plus anybody else in the community

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    @Nigelrl and @Victoriadif you have a smart phone take a picture of each recipe and write it down in a book when you have time, or just copy the text and paste it in to a word document or email and have a folder listed recipes. but I can not see away just to collate recipes and not the chat in between it.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • fishingmum
    Options
    I write on a dry wipe board for my shopping list and take a picture and take it shopping with me that way not wasting paper, or losing it somewhere in my bag lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • fishingmum
    Options
    smoked salmon roulades.

you will need a plate, a spoon, a knife, a chopping board

Smoked salmon (cold smoked) cream cheese, chopped chives and lemon

lay out the pieces of salmon, using the spoon scoop out some cream cheese, using the knife spread on the piece of salmon, put on a few chives and a little squeeze of lemon. roll up using the knife cut in to small bite size pieces and enjoy.

cost is approx £3 and can be used with a salad, or little finger food bites, if you put it on melba toast it can be served as a canape.
  • fishingmum
    Options
    Another beautiful day here, got out on the boat got fish and made mackerel pate when I came back, so far 3 neighbours have had some some fresh fish and pateto take home. Since I planned a bbq today as my sons gf was staying over I had already prepared chicken satay and burgers in advance. so I am putting up the chicken satay recipe first. Although I done this on the bbq it can be done in the grill.

Chicken satay.

You will need, chopping board, knife, dish to store chicken in over night, kebab sticks (skewers) lemon juicer, garlic press, zester ( small part of a grater)

4/5 chicken breast cut into even sized chunks, 2 large tbsp peanut butter, 100ml dark soy sauce, juice of 2 lemons and the zest, 1 tbsp darl brown sugar, 2tbsp curry powder, 2 cloves of garlic minced. Mix all ingredients together and coat the chicken pieces put in dish and cover put in fridge over night.

Take the chicken pieces and put them on the skewer and bbq or grill frequently turning till ready, about 12 minutes should do it.

To make a little dipping sauce, half tin of coconut milk, juice of 1 lime, 2 cm ginger grated, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1minced garlic clove 1 tbsp honey, put all ingredients in a pot and put on a medium heat till thickened ( I put on the end of bbq where it is cooler and it does fine)

Cost for this is approx going on tbsp amounts and herbs and spices I already have would be about £7, and depending on size of skewers and what else people have to eat on their plate, this can be split between 8 people easily enough. I normally do a few different dishes at a bbq so everyone can have a bit of everything. This goes well with a light white wine or pale lager so it does not over power the taste.
  • fishingmum
    Options
    The only thing I dislike about bbq is that there is never an afters, so I normally do a few loaves so everyone has a little something extra.

Banana Teabread

You will need bowl, fork, whisk, 2lb loaf tin, spoon

3oz marg, 4 oz caster sugar, 1 egg beaten, 7oz s.r. flour, 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda,, 4 oz risins, 2 large bananas mashed, a little marg and flour to grease and line loaf tin

In the bowl put in marg and sugar beat together till light and fluffy, add in the beaten egg and mix add in the flour stirring while doing it, then add in remaining ingredients mix thoroughly, Put mix into a greased and lined loaf tin and then put in to preheated oven at 180 or gas 4 for approx 1 hour, put a knife down the centre and if it comes out clean it is ready, allow to cool and serve.
    This tastes great with a little butter over the top, or with custard, or with a good scoop of vanilla ice cream, or as my Gran used to serve it, with just a cup of tea.

It costs about £1.50-2.00 depending on where you get your basics from, easily cuts into 12 slices.
  • fishingmum
    Options
    I was amazed to find out so many people throw away the chicken carcass after removing just the breast and legs, there is still a lot of meat on the chicken, so to waste a bit less here is a recipe to use the carcass, the weather is not quite right for soup, but one you can keep for another day.

Cream of chicken soup

You will need a chopping board, knife, large pot sieve large bowl to strain liquid into

1 chicken carcass, 1 onion finely chopped, bouqet garni, 2 pints chicken stock, 4oz cooked chicken shredded and diced or what ever is left on carcass prior to using, 2oz plain flour, 2tbsp water, 1tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg, 1/4 pint single cream, 1/2 pint full fat milk salt and pepper

In the pot add in chicken stock, carcass, onion and bouqet garni and bring to the boil then simmer for approx 1 hour, strain the liquid and return to the pot, add in the pieces of chicken and the milk and continue to simmer. mix the flour and water together then slowly add in to pot stirring continously, boil all ow to reduceslightly then simmer for about 10 minutes add in nutmeg and lemon juice salt and pepper then add in cream simmer for 5 minutes. Ready to serve

Goes great with crusty bread
    Cost for this is approx £1.20-1.50 this will easily serve 4 people.
  • FionaAgnew
    FionaAgnew Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    The easiest recipe I can think of is my tuna pasta, cheat all the way lol literally tinned tuna, tin of sweetcorn, chopped red onion and a tin of tomato soup, Heinz is the nicest because it's creamy. Just stir it all in the pasta x
  • fishingmum
    Options
    @FionaAgnew another one to use instead of heinz is the condensed soup and add in milk, add in some grated mozzeralla next time and it all sticks together :)
  • fishingmum
    Options
    quick and easy dish for the summer.

Rigatoni and Courgette.

You will need chopping board, frying pan, pot,

320g rigatoni, 1 courgette peeled and diced into 1 cm pieces, 1 onion finely chopped,120g streaky bacon cut into slices, 120ml double cream, 200g feta cheese, some olive oil for frying

Put rigatoni on as per packet instruction, whilst that is on, put olive oil in pan, fry onions for 2 minutes on medium heat then add in bacon cook for further 1 minute, add in courgette cook for further4 minutes add in double cream cook for further 2 minutes. Once pasta is ready drain and mix in the mix then crumble feta cheese and serve.

I am serving this with salad due to current weather, but a side dish of grilled asparagus or stuffed mushrooms goes great as well.

I am not sure about cost of courgettes as I grow them so roughly this will cost £3.80 and serves 4.

@thespiceman you can buy pre cut feta cheese, pre cut onion I do not think you can buy pre cut streaky bacon or courgette, well not that I can find. Hope this is something you can do with ease.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @fishingmum   Thanks for recipes. As always .

You can buy pre-diced frozen Onions and Zucchini frozen already sliced.

Bacon cannot be bought as Lardons.  Most Supermarkets have them so it is the choice for some of us.

Sorry to tell you all this, just lately stopped buying all fresh stuff but goes off so quickly and even storage does not last very long.

Supermarkets and the grocery sector especially all fresh produce goes off quickly because it is stored I believe in large warehouses with refrigeration

Some of these have hibernating factors put into the system.. So the produce does not go off. That is why every fresh product says refridge rate after purchase.

Well my little fridge no room so Apples go off after a bout five days and the debacle over sell by dates.  Best before etc.

Just buy tins of fruit and frozen berries and Pineapple plus Mango plus other ones like Cherries and Summer fruits and Forest fruits. Easier to store and eat, defrost overnight.  Or boiling kettle to defrost and leave to drain.

Do the same for Peas, Beans, Spinach, Peppers. The worst thing to go off even in fridge bruised and battered last time. Throw a whole pack away gone in the bin, after three days.

Found frozen Onions and Herbs the other day so cheap why buy fresh big bag of Onions frozen a lot cheaper.

Frozen the new way for me. Sorry to tell you.  Saved loads of money. Now found out got to do it on line new way of shopping did not know that.

Before any body adds anything I am still working way around the internet and having a lot of issues as well. So please be gentle to an old gent. Those who wish to say anything critical.  Besides we all have these issues and problems in life.  Just saying .

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    Options
    @thespicemanits whatever is easier for you. I grow a lot of my veg so I do not have the issue with it going off as quick. I have noticed since about 3 years ago a lot of fruit and veg goes off very quickly if bought from a shop. That is why I tend to grow as much as possible.

Ifit works out better price as well then that is fantastic, I suppose you just need to worry about freezer space then. Due to our location we have a large chest freezer as well, but it mostly gets taken up with meat products and bread the other freezer is for dairy and veg.

bacon and mussel chowder

You will need chopping board, knife large pot, measuring jug

1 pack streaky bacon ( or 250g lardons thanks @thespiceman) 1/2 onion finely chopped ( or 65g prechopped onions) 4 medium - large potatoes cubed, 1 tbsp plain flour, 150ml chicken stock, 250ml fish stock, 250ml single cream, 125ml double cream,1 small tin sweetcorn, 250g cooked mussel meat (frozen mussles are fine to use just adjust time of when to put in) 1tbsp chopped parsley, 1 bay leaf salt and pepper. tbsp oil

In the pot, add in your oil and fry bacon (lardons) till cooked and sit to oneside, in the same oil add in your onions and potato and cook for approx 8 minutes cover with flour and stir well, pour in fish and chicken stock bring, bay leaf and the sweetcorn and bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes stir in single cream and cook for further 2 minutes add in frozen mussels now with the double cream and stir continously for 2 minutes and add in bacon cook for further 2 minutes. serve in a dish with a little chopped parsley on top.

This goes great with white wine, and crusty bread.
    You can always add in some croutons in the last moment as well.

The cost will vary depending on ingredients used so approx £5.00 for this

• fishingmum
    Options
    Chicken Liver Pate.

you will need, 1lb loaf tin, knife,  chopping board, liquidiser, frying pan

1 onion finely chopped, 1tbsp oil, 1 clove of garlic crushed,4 oz butter, 1tbsp mixed herbs, 1lb chicken livers trimmed, 2 tbsp dry sherry, 2 tbsp double cream, 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg, salt and pepper

Line and grease a 1lb loaf tin, Put your oil in a pan gently cook the onion and garlic till soft then add in livers and cook over a low heat for 10-12 minutes. Take out allow to cool slightly then put through the liquidiser till smooth. In the same pan melt the butter, add in herbs, sherry, cream, nutmeg and salt and pepper, heat through then add into liquidiser and blend till like whipped cream. Pour into your loaf tin and put in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Ready to serve with melba toast, oatcakes or plain old toast.

The cost will be about £2.00 and this can be frozen to save for another day.
  • fishingmum
    Options
    Chicken Casserole.

You will need a dish for flour, ovenproof dish, chopping board and knife

8 chicken thighs, 1 onion sliced, 2 carrots sliced, 4 mushrooms quartered, 1/2 courgette sliced, 4 medium potatoes sliced, 1 tbsp mixed herbs, 1tbsp grainy mustard, 1 pint chicken stock, plain flour enough to coat chicken dash of salt and pepper.

Dip chicken pieces in flour, in oven proof dish put in all ingredients give a stir then add in chicken pieces. put in the oven at 180 or gas mark 6 for 1hour 20 minutes or until when you stab chicken pieces the juices run clear.

if you have difficulty in chopping veg replace slicing the veg for frozen pre cut, the mushrooms may have to be in slices as I do not know if you can buy frozen quartered mushrooms.

The cost for this is approx £3.50 and serves 4 people. This can also be frozen for use another night, just take out in the morning for easy and quick reheating  that night. It will be fine in the fridge for 3-4 days if stored in an air tight container.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Anyone have any special recipes for heslrh issues?  Haven’t tried this bug 

https://wellnessmama.com/223/turmeric-tea/
  • fishingmum
    Options
    @debbiedo49 There are a lot of things that can be used for health issues but it depends on the issue, other medications, lifestyle etc I use a lot of tumeric in foods, My husband has arthritis and has had for years, I used tumeric as it is a known anti inflammatory, and various other things but it did help. I also had control of what he eats, so I knew what he had had for the day.I would suggestion working with a nutritionist along with a herbologist for your diet that way you can combine them safely.
  • fishingmum
    Options
    Courgette bake

You will need a loaf tin, grater, chopping board, knife large jug, whisk

1kg courgette grated, 2 spring onions roughly chopped, 1/2 red pepper finely chopped, 1 clove of garlic crushed, 1/2 tsp basil, 1 tsp mixed herbs, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp wholegrain mustard, 200ml cream cheese, 100g grated cheddar, 6 eggs pinch of salt and pepper, butter to grease the loaf tin.

grease the loaf tin. In a jug put in the eggs, cream cheese, garlic, herbs and salt and pepper and whisk well. In the loaf tin put in the grated courgette and chopped spring onions and pepper, top this with the grated cheese. Pour over the contents of the jug and put in the oven.
    I cook this at 180 for approx 35 minutes or until it is golden brown on top and a knife cuts into the middle and comes out clear.

The cost of this is approx £2.50-£3 depending on where you buy your shopping.

This is great for a lunch with a side salad, or light supper, or can be used on the side of a roast instead of a stuffing mix.

Brightness