Benefits and fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome — Scope | Disability forum

Benefits and fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome

Maria93 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am suffering with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and I have recently had to give up work as I was just unable to carry put my duties, i am in receipt ofvpip. Can you tell me what benefits I can apply for, my partner has become my full time carer as I also suffer with vertigo, dizzy spells are horrific, my partner has started the claim for carers allowance but has heard nothing back so far. I have 1 child who is 6 years old, i have child benefit for him.


  • Han_Solo
    Han_Solo Member Posts: 114 Courageous
    Hi Maria

    I hope you are doing okay today, and welcome to trhe community.

    There are some very knowledgeable users on here, that are very caring. On top of that, the Scope Community Team are fantastic and will see you right with any advice.

    Keep strong and never give up.

    All the best for 2018.

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,799 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maria93, and welcome to the community!

    Sorry to hear about your circumstances, I hope we can help. A good place to start would be the online benefits calculator which can tell you what you may also be entitled to. You may also be interested in this resource on extra money and help you can claim alongside PIP. Hope this helps!
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    What is chronic fatigue syndrome and how do you diagnose that as different to fibromyalgia as you also can get fatigue please? 
  • butterflies
    butterflies Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Here's a link to NHS UK... Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    When Life Gives You Lemons Make Lemonade
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you. Lots of symptoms overlap.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,868 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you. Lots of symptoms overlap.
    Yes, which is why it always takes a long time to diagnosis fibro because the symptoms mimic others. Lots of people with fibro are also diagnosed with CFS too.
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Member Posts: 490 Pioneering
    There have very similar symptoms.i have both .too a while too get diagnoses.apparently both trigger each other off .so very hard too cop with .i got my fatigue first I think it was more noticeable for me as started after cymotheraphy and never left(worse luck.i also have perinal nurapathy which actually also has similar symptoms as well it's quite complex .you should be able too apply for p,I.p and sea good luck 
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Member Posts: 490 Pioneering
    Sorry esa lol can't spell anymore either lol 
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Member Posts: 490 Pioneering
    Wish there was a cure (I live in hope)
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi @Maria93,

    If your current income is PIP, CA and CB, the other benefits to look at are Income Support (for partner to top-up the CA), and Child Tax Credit, as well as Housing Benefit (if you rent) and Council Tax Support from your local council. If you live in a mortgaged property then after 9 months on IS you can claim mortgage interest as an additional amount of IS, but this would be as a repayable loan to the DWP.

    If you live in a UC area then forget all the above as you will have to claim UC.

    All of the above are income based benefits, therefore any income/capital you have will affect entitlement.

    There are lots of benefit checker sites you can have a look at too! (See Pippa's reply above).

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Bindy
    Bindy Member Posts: 7 Connected
    Hi I was wondering how do you go about getting a disability parking badge I am in the process of being diagnosed as having fibromyalgia I have been having trouble for about 2 years and still the doctors won't commit to giving it a name so they have banded fibromyalgia about as a possible diagnosis I find it painful to walk far and I get so tired all the time really bone tired so it would really be a godsend to be able to park closer to the chemist and places like that
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,868 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Scoring 8 points or more in the moving around part of mobility PIP or a high rate DLA award will automatically qualify you for a blue badge. If you don't have either of those awards, take a look at your local councils website because all councils are different and have their own criteria. If you don't automatically qualify then you'll need an assessment. Forms can be filled in online. 
  • Bindy
    Bindy Member Posts: 7 Connected
    Thanks Poppy I'm waiting to hear from PIP I've just had my assessment I didn't realize it was linked why don't these people sit you down and explain what you could be entitled to it's such a minefield and no one
    volunteers information that could help thanks again Poppy. 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,868 Disability Gamechanger
    Google is a great place to get so much information from.

    Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report? If not ring DWP and ask them to send this to you. It will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
  • mendipmark
    mendipmark Member Posts: 22 Listener
    I know someone with your issues. The person gets pip both elements at enhanced and esa. Husband gets carers. They both get housing and council tax benefits from council.

    Nothing with the dwp is fast. I suggest you send things registered post. They have a habit of losing paperwork in piles and ive discovered registered post is dealt with separately and they cant blame you if you go back at them with the name of the person who signed for it.  It costs but its worth it.

    Ask the cab or another benefits adviser if they can expedite your claim


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.