Hi, I'm a newbie looking for a bit of advice please... — Scope | Disability forum

Hi, I'm a newbie looking for a bit of advice please...

Hered243 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I receive PIP enhanced living and standard mobility allowance and i hold a disabilty blue badge. I have just written to DWP to see if they will change me to enhanced mobilty now as my walking has got increasingly worse over the last 3 months and I'm now unable to walk more than a dozen steps with my crutches without pain and fatigue... my question however is this... I have remitting and relapsing MS and my conditions can get dramatically worse or can improve a little... a relapse usually lasts around 6 months and then I'll recover a little whilst in remission before the whole cycle begins again, my concern is whether I should be telling the DWP everytime I'm in remission and risk them stopping my PIP only to have to reapply when I relapse again, which is inevitable. My disease is lifelong, debilitating and incurable but I have good months and bad months... I don't want to be accused of fraud when I'm in remission but worry if I stop my PIP I'll then end up having to start the whole year-long process all over again... what are people's thoughts on this please? Many thanks.


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Hered243 Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    In response to your question I am unsure how to advise you. There will be members of our team or a member of our community. Who may advise you further.

    I am one of the team of community champions who help and advise new members to the forum.

    I can only add we are here as a community care and share and are friendly .

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Hered243
    Hered243 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the welcome hun... my name is Heidi and I got diagnosed with MS following hospitilisation 3 years ago with transverse myelitis... any support and information I can get or experiences I've had that may be helpful to others, I'm happy to share. Take care... and nice to meet you. H xxx
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Hered243 and we appreciate sharing this with us. Some of our members may be able to answer your question about this. Please keep us updated about DWP.
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Member Posts: 79 Courageous
    They should take into account how your condition affects you over the course of a year and the majority of the time (ie over 50% of the time) so you should be ok.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.