PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Got my telephone acessment next week please advice

cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 723 Pioneering
Hi every one the time has come when I finally have my pip accessment via telephone I’m very nervous especially had the last few days I haven’t been well at all . I’m worried I’ll make no sense on my telephone interview . I’m really nervous because this is like my only option to have a regular income comming in as that’s all I’m entitled too it’s making me nervous if I do get pip . How long does it take before you start receiving it ? Do you get your back pay straight away ? I’m so nervous any advice would be great . 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you kept a copy of the form you returned then i'd advise you to have a read through that before the phone call. You will need to verify what you wrote in the form as well as any other additional information they ask you. What they ask you will depend on how your conditions affect you.

The phone call can be anywhere from 15 to 90 minutes.

Once the assessment has been completed a report will be written and returned to DWP. If you wait about a week you can ring DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to you, if you live in the UK. When you receive it you'll be able to look at the PIP descriptors online and compare the recommendations in the report to work out how many points, if any that may have been recommended.

There's no timescales for any decision but in normal times it can be anywhere from 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Once the decision's been made, if you're awarded you'll receive backdated money from the date you rang to start your claim (if it's a first time claim and you're not transferring from DLA) Money is usually in your bank between 3-5 days after it's been sent from DWP.

Good luck and i hope this helps.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 723 Pioneering
    Yeh that’s really helpful thanks . Things have changed since my form I filled out back in feb my health has got Worst since then and my meds have been upped. 

Will they not look at your medical edvidence as well ? I’m just nervous because I have heard of a lot of people getting turned down for silly little things like if there able to answer questions etc ? 
    Did you send evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    It my application I sent loads of my care plans ect and from
    other professionals . Are pip payments paid the same date each month for every one ?
    And is the money worked out of a weekly basis ? 
    It's paid every 4 weeks. If you're successfully awarded the letter will tell you when to expect payments.

Also @poppy123456 do you know much about disability premiums is that some thing that will go off my partners income or could I apply for that as well ? 
    The disability premiums are only paid with certain other income related benefits. As your partner works then you won't be entitled to any disability premiums if you're successfully awarded PIP.

If your partner claims working tax credits then you maybe entitled to extra money but this will totally depend on what award, if any you have.
    So pip is the only thing I can get ? I really hope I get it . What would I do if I don’t will
    they send me a letter explaining how I can appeal I really don’t think I could cope with taking a previous employer to tribunal and a pip tribunal . I really hope I get it I’ll keep you all updated . Do they ask any trick questions or try and purposely mark you down ? 
    If you've worked and paid enough NI contributions in tax years April to March 2017 to 2019 then you maybe able to claim New style ESA if you're unable to work. You'll need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this. If you haven't worked then you won't be able to claim it.

For Universal Credit then it will totally depend on your circumstances, your partner earnings will affect the amount you can claim.

They don't purposely mark you down, lots of people successfully claim PIP without any problems at all but we rarely hear the good stories only the bad ones. If someone has an award they're happy with then they have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.
    Once a decisions been made they'll send you a letter. If you're not successfully awarded then post back here and i'm sure someone will help you further. Try not to think of that now though, i know it's hard but it won't help you.
    Hi poppy thanks for that no I’m not entitled to the new style one I didn’t work that year I was very ill it’s a shame it goes by the years I was really ill and not all the years I paid contributions . Because of my partners income I can only get pip . Thank you for your kind words I’ll keep you updated . 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,896 Disability Gamechanger
    @cupcake88 - You can do this. As well as Poppy's excellent advice, if you haven't read about the activities they look at, & where you might score points, please look at the following link: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    Altho it's about completing a PIP claim form, it might give you some ideas as to where you might score points that you hadn't considered. Perhaps ask your partner to look at it too, as sometimes a person that knows you well can highlight problems you have that you hadn't realised, as you may have them every day/the majority of days, & just try & cope.
    I have read how much you're going through, but one thing at a time (if you can). Make notes of anything you want to get across beforehand with your PIP assessment; take your time in considering the questions, & if you're unsure about any, just ask them to repeat it, or put it another way.
    Now is your chance to say how your daily living is affected, & you should concentrate on that.
    May I add my best wishes too. :)

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cupcake88 You sure are going through a lot at this time but as the others have said deal with them one at a time.

Now is the time to deal with your PIP assessment and also just tackle that first without thinking about an appeal as you may not have to worry about this at all .

It isnt worth thinking about until you have had the decision which will be a few weeks away.

Good luck for your assessment fingers crossed for you
    @janer1967 @poppy123456 @chiarieds

i can’t thank you all enough for every thing you have all done to help and thanks to others that have commented . Yeh I have been going threw a lot as well as dealing with mental illness . I have taken some time to do some of my cross stitch and try and take my mind off things .

im one of these people that likes to prepare for the worst so that I’m prepared which I know isn’t positive . Have any of you received your pip first time ? I’m going threw loads at the moment my past emoployers still haven’t responded to my et1 I have a feeling there gonna try and ignore that . I will concentrate on my pip first it’s just nerve racking as I really do need this extra financial help x 
    @cupcake Yes I got my PIP first time standard daily and enhanced mobility after a f2f assessment. I then had a review and got enhanced for both from paper based assessment so there are success stories around.

I do have very different disabilities to yourself though, 
    Yes i was also awarded first time back in 2013 and awarded standard for both parts, Review was 2 years later and again awarded standard daily living and Enhanced mobility. I have physical disabilities.

My doughter also claims PIP Enhanced for both parts, awarded first time in 2017. Had a review last year and award remained the same with a paper based assessment. My daughter claims because of ASD, learning disability and social anxiety disorder.

I agree with janer, the good stories are out there and we are both proof of that.
    Hi @cupcake - Yes, I also got PIP first time when I was transferring from DLA 21 months ago. I got 10 points for each component. I did go for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) as I didn't feel the award accurately reflected my mobility problems. I was awarded 11 & 12 points with the MR so this increased it to an enhanced award for the mobility component. So, I'm another success story. I probably wouldn't have had to go through an MR if I'd joined this community earlier!....just been here 11 months.
    What day is your assessment? Yes, be prepared, but be positive. :)
    That’s really good to hear I just need to focus on one thing at a time as you all have advised your all right . My partner will be with me for my telephone call with pip I’ll let you all know how it went , I’m sure I’ll find out from them ASAP hopefully what points I got . Does the person making the assessment decide whether you get pip or not ? Is done purely on points ? 
    @cupcake - with your assessment, the Health Care Professional (HCP) you talk to writes up a report, & indicates the points they feel appropriate. This report is then sent to the DWP where a Decision Maker looks at all the evidence. This is your initial claim form, any evidence you've sent, & the HCP's report. They do usually go with the HCP's report however, but not always.
    About a week after your assessment you can ring the DWP on the PIP enquiry line ( 0800 121 4433) & ask for a copy of your assessor's report. You will still have to wait for your actual decision letter, but the report will give an indication of any likely award. :)

That’s great thanks for that info so what happens they tell you your points ? Over the phone or do they have to send it out to you ? 

Thanks for the info so helpful 
    cupcake88 said:
    That’s great thanks for that info so what happens they tell you your points ? Over the phone or do they have to send it out to you ? 

No, they don't tell you your points over the phone. As previously advised, if you request a copy of the report the recommendations will be in there somewhere towards the back of the report. Activities/descriptors will be ticked and you'll need to look at the descriptors online to work out how many points, if any have been recommended.

Once the decision's been made and you receive the letter the points will all be in the decision letter, clearly for you to see.
  • katho31katho31 Member - under moderation Posts: 694 Pioneering
    Hi @cupcake88, best wishes with your tel assessment, really hope you get your benefit  :)
    @katho31 thanks for your kind words . My partner managed to get half a day off to be there while I have it I’m so nervous . Thank you for your kind words xx 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope it goes well @cupcake88
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Hi @cupcake88, take your time when answering, they are patient with you, please make sure you concentrate on how your illness affects you dy to day, ie, any aids use need, perching stool, handrails on bath/shower seat?, raised toilet seat, grabber that can help you pick up newspaper book meds, is cooking a meal a danger to you or others?, do you use a microwave lots, is your shopping delivered, to you have any aids, knee supports/ stick, how many days out of 7 do you need help/aids/assistance, do you feel a burden/distressed/depression hope this helps a little, best wishes and good luck, please if you need a rest tell them, have a drink of water, take your tablets  :)
    @katho31 thank you for that again very helpful info . Thanks for all your good luck wishes , My disabilities are all
    mental disabilities that affect my life day to day . I don’t use the cooker as I’m scared bad things will happen so I don’t use it . I use microwave some times . I have to eat out the same plate and same cutlery Even tho it’s really old , I have had days where I’m embarsssed to say I have wore dirty clothes for days and not bathed if it wasn’t for my amazing partner I’m not sure where I would be properly sectioned again . 

You know the section that states bout therapy and medication does mental health nurse and mind zoom calls count as the therapy part ? Because I’m not ready for trauma therapy my nurse says . I often miss her call so my partner has to remind me when she’s calling and set alarms etc . 

My partner also had to remind me to brush my hair and even do it for me when my anxiety takes over . 

I’m blessed that I have medication and a good nurse I don’t hear voices as much as I used to but I still hear them and see things . There prob gonna think I’m nuts it’s embarrassing really . My nurse said I’m not to leave any thing out . 

I’m fine using the toilet on my own , I can read when I’m not really anxious if I’m having a bad day there I don’t make sense and nothing makes sense . 

Even tho I’m on meds ect still a  week doesn’t go past when I don’t have a flash back and I’m scared to close my eyes and rest . 

I rarely travel in a car because my abusive partner nearly killed me in one so I won’t go on long journeys if we plan to I end up asking my partner to go back home and I have horrendous panic attacks which have lead to my breaking down in a car which is dangerous for the person driving .

regarding to communication I tend to email people . I only really want to be around my partner and my dog I’m weary of people . Especially what happened to
    me when I tried to go back to work really set me back . 

I’m worried that if I explain that all it will go against me I duno I’m just nervous . I have had such a tuff time stuck in my own head . I just really hope the accessor I get is expirienced with mental illnesses I really could do with some good luck . Because appeals take ages so I really hope I can get this little bit of extra money . 
  • YvonneMKYvonneMK Member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi I’m Yvonne and i am going through the process of applying for PIP. I have just had my phone assessment last week which lasted an hour an a half.  I found it quite mentally gruelling but it helped that I had done notes to refer to when asked questions. I decided to apply for pip because I have found life over the last year getting more challenging, I have suffered with depression all of my life and have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and polymyalgia,  I suffer from severe headaches incontinence and bowel problems so explained all this in the form fut have been left feeling dispondent after receiving a copy of my report today.  It looks like I wont be awarded pip due to the fact I work part time as a cleaner.  Even though my four hours a day are split into two hourly shifts and I only do light duties for most of my time at home I am constantly tired and do not manage things around the house.  I only force myself out to work as it is the only time I am out the house and there is little else going in the way of employment in my area.  I have tried for other jobs but been turned down.  I dont go out and socialize as I find that hard to do so in a nutshell I dont live i am only surviving. According to the report due to me managing to work there is little wrong with me and that I do not score enough points to get pip. sorry for being so down about it
    YvonneMK said:
    Hi I’m Yvonne and i am going through the process of applying for PIP. I have just had my phone assessment last week which lasted an hour an a half.  I found it quite mentally gruelling but it helped that I had done notes to refer to when asked questions. I decided to apply for pip because I have found life over the last year getting more challenging, I have suffered with depression all of my life and have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and polymyalgia,  I suffer from severe headaches incontinence and bowel problems so explained all this in the form fut have been left feeling dispondent after receiving a copy of my report today.  It looks like I wont be awarded pip due to the fact I work part time as a cleaner.  Even though my four hours a day are split into two hourly shifts and I only do light duties for most of my time at home I am constantly tired and do not manage things around the house.  I only force myself out to work as it is the only time I am out the house and there is little else going in the way of employment in my area.  I have tried for other jobs but been turned down.  I dont go out and socialize as I find that hard to do so in a nutshell I dont live i am only surviving. According to the report due to me managing to work there is little wrong with me and that I do not score enough points to get pip. sorry for being so down about it

HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear that. It would have been better to start your own thread with this because you've posted on the end of someone else's and that causes confusion.

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Yes people work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim then this can go against you.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so it's likely you'll have to take it to Tribunal.

If you're able to get advice from an advice centre near you then i'd advise you to do that. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser

@YvonneMK
    im sorry to hear this did you not score any points ? That’s upsetting to know they based it off the fact you do part time work I didn’t think they could do that ? Did you not score any points at all just because you work part time ? I’m sorry to hear this hun I can only imagine that’s my biggest fear being turned down for it . But there are amazing people on this forum who can offer you advice in regards to a appeal . I know it feels like hassle but there are successful stories of people fighting for pip . 

I have my telephone appointment next week ? Did you find it easier them being on the phone ? Did they ask you then if you worked ? Ect . 
    I currently do not work even tho looking for part time work I really don’t think I’m ready but some times you feel like ugh have no choice . 
  • Lulu_1949Lulu_1949 Member Posts: 225 Pioneering
    Hi @YvonneMK, so sorry to hear that but I don’t think  it is because you work, my son works and got his award but it’s due to his disability . As you have taken notes you need to re- look at these and go for MR but as you have been advised by poppy123456 you will most likely have to go to appeal. Good luck
    Can you go straight to a appeal or do you have to do the mr ? Im so greatful for every one on this forum . 

With your telephone call ? Did you find they took time to listen to you ? 
    Hi you have to do MR all will be detailed in your decision letter and if your not awarded we will be here to help with advice on MR

But dont think that far yet just think about the assessment remember 1 thing at a time 
  • Lou67Lou67 Member Posts: 802 Pioneering
    Just want to wish yous well, hope both of yous get an award take care 😊
    Thanks so much . As you can all tell I’m getting quite worked up and anxious I just know that this extra bit of money will make such a difference to my independence . I guess I’ll have to appeal if I don’t and I’ll cross that bridge when it comes to it . I’ll deal with this first then I have to then prepare for this pre hearing I have for employment tribunal they still haven’t responded to my et1 form @janer1967 they still have time but you would of thought they would of acted on I ASAP they have like 2 weeks left to do it . 

I also forgot to mention acas contacted me and said they are waiting for there response well a copy of there response but I have feeling there gonna respond to my et1 form there silence speaks of there guilt . 
    It is quite common for companies to leave response to last minute often because it is passed to legal department to respond and they make sure it is all correct 

It's like paying bills if there is a deadline as long as it is sorted by then there is no issue 
    @janer1967 oh really I thought they prob wanna get it over and done with ASAP . My partner thinks there make a settlement but I always think of the worst case so im
    not then let down I’m prepared to take that all the way to the tribunal unless a sensible offer is made . But these cases can take years I was told . 

Regarding my pip im trying my best to keep calm but im
    nervous and I feel my self getting really worked up over it 
    Hi @cupcake88 Hope things get sorted soon and let’s you get some peace from all the stress, and again good luck with pip assessment, take care 😊
    @janer1967 Hi Janer I need advice if you can help I recoeved a letter from my past employer basically they have decided to ask for a  extention on the grounds of them wanting to seek legal advice again I believe this is just them messing abOUT CAN i appeall this. 
    Hi 

I'm sorry I'm not sure about the answer maybe contact ACAS 

Does it not say in the letter your options who are they asking for the extension us it you or the tribunal 
    They have been given extra time according to the information I received today and the pre hearing has been postponed im
    upset that the judge has agreed to give them
    more time they have had enough so now they have a extra month to mess about . I feel so rubbish . 

It just makes me think that if a tribunal hasn’t given them more time then I’m worried that I prob won’t be taken serious and they will get away with how they treated me . I feel so worn down and I just feel like I wish I was like how I used to be before I was I’ll where I could work and be normal I feel like such inconvenience to life . I’m so blessed and thankful for my partner but I wish I could be the person I used to be independent. 

Now I have my pip phone accessment next week and I feel defeated bout that I don’t think I can cope with bad news I need some thing positive to happen . 
    If you asked for more time it would no doubt be honoured too dont read too much into it .

We all go through stages of feeling down and wishing we could turn back time to when we didnt live with illness and disability it is natural process 

I too felt so low getting to grips with being disabled having to fight for everything and losing my independence 

Slowly each issue will be resolved and then you can start your new journey and you will find you adjust to a new life 

You are lucky you have a good partner to support you and we are here too 
    @janer1967 thank you so much and thanks to every one I can’t thank you all enough . 

I just felt like they shouldn’t of been awarded more time to mess about . I hope I do actually get the documents I asked for from them which I doubt it . And I’m actually very anxious to read there et3 response I know it’s gonna be full of crap . I don’t believe they are just seeking legal advice now . 

It’s just so much going on isn’t there . Yeh I’m sure every one on here can relate it’s hard trying to sort things out . 

Thank you so much for every ones support 
    Aww hi hopefully be sorted soon and your assessment over with and you’ll be able to relax take care 😊
    Hi @cupcake88 - I can appreciate how frustrating it must be that your previous employers have been given more time. However, would take it as a positive. Them (belatedly) seeking legal advice, surely means they are taking your allegations seriously. Also, it at least gives you more time, so you are not having to face 2 things at once.
    Concentrate on your PIP assessment; & be positive about that too! :)

Thank you for your reply . I’m one of these people who likes to plan ahead and I was prepared for the pre hearing . I don’t even think there getting legal advice I really don’t think they care I think there gonna spend the added time trying to think how there gonna get them selves out the situation . Yeh I should see it as a positive but it’s just for me to be positive lately . I can’t thank you all enough x 
    Pip will be calling me this afternoon I’m so
    scared and so anxious I haven’t slept I’m really in a nervous state .
    Morning @cupcake88, try not to be scared, easier said I totally understand, they really are nice on phone, have all your descriptors at hand, and water meds etc, my hubby here, he was with me, he says just be careful of any repeated questions they may ask, you can pause anytime ie toilet break, using inhalers/water drink/if your so upset crying, they wont try to trick you, and if you have partner they can speak for you when having toilet break, my hubby spoke for me when I had break, it is anxious I know, but they will put you at ease from start. its how your condition AFFECTS YOU, risks, aids you have to use, how many days you have to have help, safety an issue, overwhelming distress if in crowds/shops etc an urgent need to get out and get home, wishing you all the best of good luck x
    Morning cupcake just want to wish you well for today, Kath has given you great advice, please let us know how it went and how you are later take care ❤️
    It's perfectly normal to feel this way, although i know that doesn't help. If you kept a copy of the form you filled in then have a read of that before the phone call, just to jog your memory of what was written in the form. You will need to verify what you wrote as well as any other additional questions asked. Yes, they may ask you the same question twice but in a different way so be aware of that. Good luck.
    Hi @cupcake88 hope all goes well today will be keeping my fingers crossed for you 
    @[email protected] @poppy123456

thank you it means a lot  I really hope it goes well because I don’t think I can take any bad news . I’m so anxious today I’m shaking I’ll let you know how it goes and yes I’ll remember they may ask the same questions . Some stuff has changed since the form my meds are now higher dose I now have a mental health nurse im
    not under the crisis team any more . So a few things have changed . 
    Just adding my best wishes for this afternoon @cupcake88 - Be positive, you can do this, & we will all be here thinking about you. :)
    Tell them about any changes too, i did, I told them I use talking therapy, my GP texted me the tel number, look online and put your postcode in and nearest talking therapy to you will be there online. if you've got a diary, or last few weeks have you kept notes of very bad days ie, so anxious you are frightened, confusing emotions, feelings of uselessness/extreme distress. is it affecting your quality of life very much, we are here and want the best for you x :)
    Thank you again so much xx I’ll let you all know how it goes .
    I’m so nervous because 1 I hate speaking to people on the phone 2. I’m worried that my ptsd may be triggered depending what I’m asked im also worried because this money would be life changing for me a regular source of income To give me back my independence.
    @katho31 I can’t remember did you get pip first time round ? Does my nurse calling weekly and mind hearing voices support group over zoom count as therapy ? 
    I was exactly same cupcake88, i have ptsd and if you are unwell, ie, having trouble answering or so upset and crying they will understand and I feel as though Im looking at my posts from months ago, just so similar to me, the money you thoroughly deserve and is so helpful in helping you regular monthly income, it is indeed life changing and i really want you to get it x
    Hi cupcake88, i was a first time PIP applicant, I had no benefit at all for 2 and half years, my hubby works and I own my home outright, yes your nurse and mind hearing voices support on zoom is therapeutic and you need it so yes, its therapy x
    Hi again I would definitely tell them about your support group and your zoom chats, make sure you have bullet points all wrote down to remind you, also I’m sure they ask if you have anything else to add, so just have it wrote down so you don’t forget everything you want to tell them hope this helps. 
    Im
    not able to work I went back to work early and it’s actually set me back massively. Because of my partners wage I’m not entitled to any thing else . And it’s not like he earns loads just enough to pay all the bills . But it makes me feel bad I want to at least be Able to afford my monthly meds fee and food shopping takes the pressure financially off my partner abit I feel like i could do with some good news can’t thank you all enough X 
    What sort of things will they ask me ? Just so I can sort of brace my self ? 
    Have your PIP descriptors by your side/on desk, firstly they ask your name, they may ask if their manager can join conversation, I said yes, they asked what/when I take medication, they asked me what my dosage was,how do I feel after meds, wiped out/so tired/drowsy/relief at pain/anxiety easing. the distance you walk alone/with pal/partner, this is on your PIP form you filled in x
    cupcake88 said:
    What sort of things will they ask me ? Just so I can sort of brace my self ? 

That will totally depend on what you wrote in the form and how your conditions affect you. Everyones assessments are all different and no one can really advise you what questions they will ask.
    Good luck @cupcake88 we will be thinking of you and you can do this x
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,940 Scope community team
    We're all thinking of you @cupcake88. I hope it goes well this afternoon and please let us know how you got on (when you're feeling up to it). 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Im getting really anxious they are 4 mins late Calling me what if they don’t call 
  • rsxrsx Member Posts: 55 Connected
    @cupcake88 dont worry, mine was about 10 mins late calling, I think it's just because sometimes the call before goes over, good luck
    @rsx There now 15 mins late what if they don’t call ?  Who do I call to ask when there gonna call how late are they usually very late ? 
  • rsxrsx Member Posts: 55 Connected
    @cupcake88 I'm sure all will be fine, I remember reading somewhere that they can be late because of other appointments over running.

I think there was a number on my appointment letter, try ringing that if your worried but I would ring off a different phone so then of they try to ring you the line is free.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,940 Scope community team
    I hope they've now called @cupcake88, the waiting can be so difficult, especially if they're not running on time. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Hey every one  she was on the phone to me for nearly 2 hours my god that was hard I was panicked and I cried quite abit I made no sense so I Think I was prob scored 0 I was so panicky and pacing they did ask questions my partner said over and again but it different ways he said but I answered the same each time I Also told her off for calling late and asked how long it was going go on for so she prob thinkS im really rude better start to plan to start my apppeal 
    she also read back to me what she wrote down do they usually do that ? because what she wrote down I wont be getting any points I was so anxious and I couldnt be dealing with such a long bloody call .
    oh sorry, please dont think youve not done well, I was same honestly, I said at one point how long is this carrying on and she was understanding why we are anxious, try as best to relax and have a cuppa x
    Hi  oh sorry you feel that way, but think most of us felt the same, yes they do read back to you what has been written down, they will take into consideration your anxiety and nerves as that’s part of what’s wrong with you, at least it’s out of the way now, try not to let it make you ill with worry it’s done now, take care and trying take it easy 😊
  • J35J35 Member Posts: 32 Connected
    @Lou67 they read back to you what was written down? that never happened to me and there's was lots of info missing on my report (which the assorer cleary ignored) thinking about it now this was probably my first clue i was doomed but w/e im over it now just concentrating on my appeal
    yeh they read it back to me to make sure they had every thing ? Do they not do that with every one ? 

Thanks so much yeh I’m gonna try and put that to the side now and try and look forward to back pay at some point lol
    because Iam a fighter . 
    Hi J35 Sorry mines was a face 2 face and she definitely read everything she had typed into her computer she didn’t tell me what she was recommending just what I had answered when she asked questions,hope your appeal goes your way, I’m also going to appeal I was awarded standard mobility but only 6 points for daily living at MR mobility changed to Enhanced but no change with daily living, good luck.
  • J35J35 Member Posts: 32 Connected
    they did not read back out was was written down to me which explains why there was info missing from the report, maybe some do some dont i dont know. good attitude to have im doing the same good luck on your decision it may be still good news for you  
    Thanks J35 I seems they are a law onto themselves at times, hope you have a great outcome. 
    Im
    not confident on it I mean it was hard today I was sort of made to answer questions I didn’t want to
    answer because certain things you don’t want to remember . Whether I made any sense I have no idea she kept asking for reasons behind thing like for example I don’t cook aa I’m scared to turn oven on I also only eat out of the same plate and I have this fork that’s basically falling apart that I glued it back together to hold the handle in place because I can’t bare to part with it . 
    I must of sounded like a weirdo , I just felt embarssed to what I have become to . I used to be some one who loved getting ready now days I keep the same clothes on and underwear for days I know it’s very embarrassing but that’s what I have become so Christ knows what the hell she thought On the phone . 

I mean she did seem to know a lot bout mental illness so I can only bloody pray she was a mental health nurse because that would my luck day . 

But they ask some strange questions like asked what sort of school I went to and they wanna know when you last went out where you would go . 

She asked me what do I do in spare time and my answer was making sure every things safe in the house and pacing  .

she was also very interested in my house if it had stairs ect she also asked if it wasn’t for the trauma I experienced in a car could I physically get in one could I physically do normal things my response was  my brain disables me I really don’t think
    ill be getting it and it just he a massive knock back . 

She also asked why I went into crisis and it was because I was seeing demons and was running threw London screaming there after me made a right show of my self that was in my paper work I said them from my mental health team I’m glad today is over but all the questions just makes me feel not normal . 
    My partner said he was wanted to laugh when they asked me how I pay bills and live and I said my partner looks after me I’m very lucky if it was left down to the government I would be still running around talking to my self and getting worse and worse and worse so I’m very lucky . Which is true I spent years paying tax and national insurance and now I’m sick the government couldn’t give a flying  f excuse my language 
    I would think a lot of people are not usually confident in the way the assessment went, i know i certainly wasn't with either of mine, although i've never had a bad HCP.

If you overthink things you will totally convince yourself that there won't be any award, you just have to try to put it to the back of your mind and yes i know that's very difficult.

They ask those sort of questions because they are trying to get a picture of exactly how your conditions affect you daily. They have no idea who you are. Remember a HCP doesn't have to have any particular knowledge in any conditions. Some do and some definitely don't.

I don't claim for mental health reasons but i've suffered with it myself for more than a decade. I just deal with it in my own way. My claim is purely physical health.

Your assessment was long but thankfully it's done now. As you know you can request the report if you want. I always request mine because it's useful or can be.

Sadly, paying your NI and tax for many years doesn't help a claim now because it's the previous 2 tax years April 2017 to April 2019 that count for benefit claims such as New style ESA.

Hope you get some sleep tonight and please try to relax just a little :)

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,315 Disability Gamechanger
    cupcake88 said:
    Im
    not confident on it I mean it was hard today I was sort of made to answer questions I didn’t want to
    answer because certain things you don’t want to remember . Whether I made any sense I have no idea she kept asking for reasons behind thing like for example I don’t cook aa I’m scared to turn oven on I also only eat out of the same plate and I have this fork that’s basically falling apart that I glued it back together to hold the handle in place because I can’t bare to part with it . 
    I must of sounded like a weirdo , I just felt embarssed to what I have become to . I used to be some one who loved getting ready now days I keep the same clothes on and underwear for days I know it’s very embarrassing but that’s what I have become so Christ knows what the hell she thought On the phone . 

I mean she did seem to know a lot bout mental illness so I can only bloody pray she was a mental health nurse because that would my luck day . 

But they ask some strange questions like asked what sort of school I went to and they wanna know when you last went out where you would go . 

She asked me what do I do in spare time and my answer was making sure every things safe in the house and pacing  .

she was also very interested in my house if it had stairs ect she also asked if it wasn’t for the trauma I experienced in a car could I physically get in one could I physically do normal things my response was  my brain disables me I really don’t think
    ill be getting it and it just he a massive knock back . 

She also asked why I went into crisis and it was because I was seeing demons and was running threw London screaming there after me made a right show of my self that was in my paper work I said them from my mental health team I’m glad today is over but all the questions just makes me feel not normal . 
    A couple of things:

1 - your ET. Employers are always late responding, This is because any answers need to come from someone who knows the answer e.g. your manager through HR and on to their legal representative. Most of those will be working from at present and yiu can’t assume that everyone will have sufficient kit to do that so further delays are absolutely normal. It’s not you. It’s just the process. It’s also the norm that given the volume of these cases everything is last minute especially with the likes of ACAS involved. Think ****-up rather than conspiracy. 

It’s also the norm that you’ll get an offer to settle once they realise your seriously about pursuing the case. The offer will be ridiculously low and your rep will no doubt accuse you to reject it out of hand. Decent offers tend to come in during the 48 hours before the actual hearing. I say this as someone who used to rep at ETs and someone who has actually taken 2 and won last minute settlements. In mine 1 settlement was 5x what they first offered and 1 was 9x. 

2 - I find it worrying that even now people can get this far into PIP and find the questions you were asked to be surprising. If you make a case around the PIP descriptors and you read the descriptors then all of those questions make perfect sense. 

School - because they want to know if your mental health is linked to learning disability and therefore whether you went to a mainstream school. Also because it leads into a discussion around qualifications which then links into reading and communicating and budgeting. 

Going out - totally linked to planning and following a route for mobility as well as social engagement for daily living.

Spare time - to what extent do you fill your time. Are you passive or active i.e. do you need prompting from another person to do things. Links to most daily living descriptors. Do you do things which contradict what you say you can’t do.

House - linked to mobility, cooking, mobility, bathing, toileting etc.

It’s hard for all of us to talk about ourselves but it sounds to me like you did fine. As you can hopefully see there is a logic to everything you were asked> I think the questions are generally very clever. What could be cleverer when you have limited time than to ask one question which covers multiple areas. Lots of posters online claim these are trick questions. They’re nothing of the sort. 

In terms of them reading things back they are anything but a law to themselves. Again there is a very clear logic. Their guidance says they should read back but you have to remember that it’s guidance for face to face rather than phone calls and also... it’s just guidance. As long as they take account of it they don’t have to follow it to the letter. So, why might they read it back.

Well, they will almost always read it back where they think someone benefits from hearing stuff which might prompt them into further revelations. They might also read it back when someone has been upset during the call and may have missed something or perhaps needs a period in which to calm down before the call ends. What better way to calm down than listening! 

Tribunals do similar. People often have to sit for 10 minutes whilst DWP, try I ask and reps bat legal issues about. Part of that is literally to get the claimant to a point where they are calm and things can start.
    @mikehughescq thank you for that info did you take some one to tribunal ? Or did you mean you went with some one to one ? So acas won’t get involved now for a little while ? Acas said he was waiting to see what they had to say  first but they are taking there time to respond . Yeh it makes more sense now but I would assume they would want to sort it out ASAP also I don’t get why they settle hours before after going threw every thing for some times two years . I would of thought people would of settled at the point acas first get involved . I mean I wonder if there even taking my serious now ?

yeh it makes sense now why they would ask those questions it was a real tough 2 hours which I’m sure every one will agree . Does the accessor give the points ? Or does she just do a write up and then some one else decides the points . Do they tend to purposely give low points ? 

Yeh it was really hard explaining stuff . She was nice and patient but she kept having to tell me to stick to the question but I just didn’t quite understand what she was really asking me . 
    @poppy123456

yeh I know isn’t it a shame I’m sure it happens to a lot of people where they haven’t worked in ages so aren’t entitled to esa and That’s partners income is taking into account . 

It’s really hard to have to go threw all of this like it is for every one and I’m so greatful for every one on here . You all have your own health issues to deal with but still find time for me thanks so much . 

I can’t help it I’m trying not to over think . I did cry a lot in my accessment I just home I made some sense 
    ET - They literally settle at the last moment simply because they are over-whelmed with casework. It’s easy to read all sorts of stuff into that but it’s the brutal reality of working with the law. As for me, I represented other people at ETs for about 6 years. 

PIP - the HCP makes a recommendation based on the assessment. Only the decision maker has the responsibility of looking at all the evidence in the round and then making a decision. The DMs largely follow the HCP recommendation but contrary to most people I don’t see that as a bad thing. The reality is that most people who apply for PIP get it precisely because a HCP recommended enough points. If a HCP recommends low or zero points it’s almost always because of obvious gaps in the evidence which allow them to infer stuff which is wrong. 

A good example was that we had someone on here the other week who said that the HCP had concluded they were better than they were because they no longer saw a specialist or took meds when there were specific reasons for that. However, the claimant had never put down on the claim why they didn’t do either and it was that which allowed the HCP the conclusion they drew rather than any nastiness on the part of the HCP.
    cupcake88 said:
    @poppy123456

yeh I know isn’t it a shame I’m sure it happens to a lot of people where they haven’t worked in ages so aren’t entitled to esa and That’s partners income is taking into account . 

Unfortunately, those are rules. I don't make them, i just give the advice.
    @poppy123456 your amazing I’m so greatful for all your advice thank you 
    @poppy123456 you know so much on this subject thank you x 
    @mikehughescq

thanks for your advice you would think they wouldn’t want to deal with the law hence settling early but im not interested in any silly offers . 

I don’t get how they do there points system I dunno how they can give some one 0 just because there not on medication or under a specialist .,
    @poppy123456 also do you know on how they base the time amount you get for pip ? What’s the minimum they give ? Kind regards 
    Thanks for the kinds words! The minimum is 1 year and the maximum is 10 years with a light touch review. It depends on your conditions and how they affect you.

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you it went okay @cupcake88! We all have our fngers crossed for you!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    cupcake88 said:
    @mikehughescq

I don’t get how they do there points system I dunno how they can give some one 0 just because there not on medication or under a specialist .,
    The answer is because the issue hasn't been addressed in the claim pack or on the day of the HCP assessment. 

If I said I had a serious health issue but also said I was on no meds and under no specialist and didn't say anything else about that most reasonable people would concluded that my serious health issue was not serious. When you claim benefits the onus is on you to provide the evidence and tell the story. It's not on DWP to guess it or fill in the gaps. 

cupcake88 said:
    @poppy123456 also do you know on how they base the time amount you get for pip ? What’s the minimum they give ? Kind regards 
    Awards in some limited circumstances can be less than one year but the most important factor on how long they award is what you say about it. Most people simply say nothing. It never occurs to people to ask for a specific award. Why people would expect a long award in such circumstances is a little odd really. 

Again, it's up to the claimant to tell the story. You can't just assume that because you have life-long degenerative condition that a 10 year award will follow. It's up to you to make the case. I have seen plenty of people in the early stages of COPD for example where a 1 year award was appropriate but others more advanced where 10 years was a better fit. You need to make it clear where you sit on and what exactlty the award you want is.  

@Chloe_Scope thank you so much for your kind words and your support means a lot 
    @mikehughescq
    Oh right yeh when I first applied I sent over edvidence of my meds and my care plans . My nurse has said I’m not ready to do trauma therapy to prob end of next year But she was very interested in knowing all bout my meds and my nurse and when was the time I saw psychiatrist ect . 
    Care plans are an interesting one. They don't really tell you much about the level of need. They just tell you the level of service provided. The level of service is often below the level of need. 
    Oh no I wish I had put a doctors note in then or had my doctor or nurse write some thing do you think supplying care plans isn’t really helpful ? 
    I’m nervous now as I don’t think maybe I supplied enough to back up what I was saying but all I can do is wait and see fingers crossed for me 
Sign in or join us to comment.