Emergency evacuation plans from blocks of flats — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Emergency evacuation plans from blocks of flats

Options
SarahRen
SarahRen Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone, I am a member of a group called Claddag. We are a group of disabled leaseholders who have been campaigning on the additional ways in which disabled people are affected by the cladding scandal.

Whether you are in a private or social housing, many of us share the same problem of not having an emergency evacuation plan from our home if we live in a block of flats. In my case, for 10 years I have been instructed to 'stay put' in my flat if there is a fire. Many of you might be the same?

We're working with some experts (allies) on this who say they have never in their careers worked with a disabled person where they've not been able to reduce the risk through making an evacuation plan.

We're finding a lot of the building management and fire safety industry do not want to explore plans and want to preserve 'stay put' policies at all costs. The Grenfell Tower Inquiry recommended that all disabled people in high rises buildings should have an evacuation plan. However, despite saying it would implement all recommendations in full, this was rejected by the Government. Following a claim last year by the daughter of a disabled lady who tragically died in Grenfell Tower, the Government is now having to do a consultation again. Will they agree to let us have evacuation plans?

We're really keen to know what everyone's experiences are and what you think...

Also, if anyone is affected, please join our closed Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1498687113655474 
We are also on Twitter @Claddag

Thanks,
Sarah

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't want to get into another heated debate on this subject as i'm not physically disabled and I live in a bungalow, and whilst I recognise that Grenfell has opened a can of worms, for my money the "stay put"advice seems to make sense. It would make more sense to me if physically disabled people sought accommodation that wasn't on the 15th floor of a tower block, although I admit that's not always easy.
    Now I'll put my tin hat on and hide in my bunker
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• SarahRen
    SarahRen Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi Mike - what questions do you have? Ask away! I didn't want to overwhelm anyone with detail. Just touching in to see if anyone is affected, feeling lonely, isolated and worried about safety and bankruptcy. I certainly felt better knowing others were in the same boat.

Every landlord/owner has a responsibility to ensure everyone can get out, so PEEPs absolutely do exist in housing.

We had the closed group because a lot of people have been experience of hate crime from neighbours who resented funding evacuation aids, and some people were nervous about explaining their health conditions and living arrangements so publically. 

Brightness