Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Benefit Nightmare.

Options
2»

Comments

• Evoway13
    Evoway13 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    So, our local council benefit's office are correct in demanding full rent? I just don't understand this as we have never paid full rent - when our income was higher (tax credits and child benefit). It's worrying as Bulb are demanding £380 per month for electricity and we're on a prepayment meter for gas (which is taking money like a one armed bandit). We also have to pay £76 a month water. We have asked Yorkshire Water to install a meter and they keep fobbing us off by wanting to know our income - so they can reduce the water bill to £50 a month. Our neighbour has been on a meter for years and only pays £24 a month - for virtually the same usage. We also have to pay the council tax bill of £116 a month as again, the local council benefit's office state we're not entitled to any reduction. So, with rent and everything else, we're looking at £1300 going out. I'm currently buying my own dressings for a leg ulcer that I've had for over a year as my GP surgery wait until I run out of their own stock before ordering more from tissue viability - which can take two weeks. I'm get a prepayment certificate for medicines as I am on 9 different medications a day - my husband is on 7. 
  • Evoway13
    Evoway13 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Sorry, my husband reminded me, we get 50p a week housing benefit at the moment
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Evoway13 
    hope this link can help in some way. Although I do know that if you are in arrears with water then you can apply for watersure help.