Housing Benefit Nightmare. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Benefit Nightmare.

Options
2»

Comments

• Evoway13
    Evoway13 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    So, our local council benefit's office are correct in demanding full rent? I just don't understand this as we have never paid full rent - when our income was higher (tax credits and child benefit). It's worrying as Bulb are demanding £380 per month for electricity and we're on a prepayment meter for gas (which is taking money like a one armed bandit). We also have to pay £76 a month water. We have asked Yorkshire Water to install a meter and they keep fobbing us off by wanting to know our income - so they can reduce the water bill to £50 a month. Our neighbour has been on a meter for years and only pays £24 a month - for virtually the same usage. We also have to pay the council tax bill of £116 a month as again, the local council benefit's office state we're not entitled to any reduction. So, with rent and everything else, we're looking at £1300 going out. I'm currently buying my own dressings for a leg ulcer that I've had for over a year as my GP surgery wait until I run out of their own stock before ordering more from tissue viability - which can take two weeks. I'm get a prepayment certificate for medicines as I am on 9 different medications a day - my husband is on 7. 
  • Evoway13
    Evoway13 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Sorry, my husband reminded me, we get 50p a week housing benefit at the moment
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Evoway13 
    hope this link can help in some way. Although I do know that if you are in arrears with water then you can apply for watersure help. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.