Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Remember you're a Womble

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,642 Pioneering
edited January 2023 in Coffee lounge
It was in1974 when I was an 11 year old who had been made to take dancing class lesson. 
I remember being pleased to be with girls (I never really understood the other sex up to that point) because I was the only boy in an after school hour one a week lesson) we learned how to waltz, foxtrot etc etc. 

They also did Irish dancing and come the summer of 1974 - the girls were to put on a. Irish dancing display at a local fete.
My 3 year older sister was also dancing and was kitted out in an Irish kilt and had the tartan band around her shoulders. 
I on the otherhand was wearing a fur coat that had been converted into a Womble - I was 'Wellington',..... The girls danced around me doing whatever Wellington did in tune with "remember you're a womble" etc etc. 
It was a hot summer day and I was wearing a fur coat from head to foot 

I fainted with the heat and woke up a few minutes later after Wellingtons head had been cut off me. 
I had been sewn into the womble suit at home and had been driven to the fete by my Dad

So I had no clothes or shoes wiith me to wear to get home in - the fur coat was thick and hot

So guess what I had to wear - a girls kilt which was a miniskirt length, a white silky blouse that buttoned the wrong way and a pair of girls tap shoes 

I had to walk through crowds of people dressed like a girl to get to the car to be driven home - with many people clapping and cheering (luckily nobody from.my school)
I was traumatised!!!! 
This has always been on my mind for almost 50 years and negatively affected my view of fancy dress (particularly furry costumes).
Does anybody remember the Wombles? 

Comments