Remember you're a Womble — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Remember you're a Womble

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,620 Pioneering
edited January 2023 in Coffee lounge
It was in1974 when I was an 11 year old who had been made to take dancing class lesson. 
I remember being pleased to be with girls (I never really understood the other sex up to that point) because I was the only boy in an after school hour one a week lesson) we learned how to waltz, foxtrot etc etc. 

They also did Irish dancing and come the summer of 1974 - the girls were to put on a. Irish dancing display at a local fete.
My 3 year older sister was also dancing and was kitted out in an Irish kilt and had the tartan band around her shoulders. 
I on the otherhand was wearing a fur coat that had been converted into a Womble - I was 'Wellington',..... The girls danced around me doing whatever Wellington did in tune with "remember you're a womble" etc etc. 
It was a hot summer day and I was wearing a fur coat from head to foot 

I fainted with the heat and woke up a few minutes later after Wellingtons head had been cut off me. 
I had been sewn into the womble suit at home and had been driven to the fete by my Dad

So I had no clothes or shoes wiith me to wear to get home in - the fur coat was thick and hot

So guess what I had to wear - a girls kilt which was a miniskirt length, a white silky blouse that buttoned the wrong way and a pair of girls tap shoes 

I had to walk through crowds of people dressed like a girl to get to the car to be driven home - with many people clapping and cheering (luckily nobody from.my school)
I was traumatised!!!! 
This has always been on my mind for almost 50 years and negatively affected my view of fancy dress (particularly furry costumes).
Does anybody remember the Wombles? 

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.