Son with CP wakes 7-10 times a night — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son with CP wakes 7-10 times a night

Options
Irene
Irene Community member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask a Sleep Practitioner.

Comments

• Irene
    Irene Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I have a little boy he will be 3 in dec he has CP spastic diplegia and wakes 7-10 times a night, he settles to bed really well and settles quickly when he wakes just often needs repositioning but I'm shattered having to keep getting up. I've tried massages before bed baths but not really helping hope u can.
  • SleepPractitioners
    SleepPractitioners Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hi @Irene,
    Can you tell us how you settle your son to sleep? Are you with him, does he have a mobile on etc?
    Em x
  • Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Just like to make a comment to your post @Irene and I am sure the Sleep Practitioners will have lots of tips and information for you but just so you are aware, it is not uncommon for young children with cerebral palsy to wake frequently at night. Often they need repositioning because they become stiff or experience pain due to the effects of cerebral palsy on their muscle tone. Particularly with children who have spasticity, where their muscles are very tight. The tight tone can increase at night and often result in spasms which means the child experiences cramp like pains and this of course, causes them to wake. If massage, warm baths etc., do not seem to work, it may be advisable to talk to your doctor about some mild muscle relaxant medication.
  • SleepPractitioners
    SleepPractitioners Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hi @Rocky and @Irene.
    Repositioning is common with a lot of disabilities, and using a sleep diary and hypnogram you can work out when to do it so the child is in a deeper stage of sleep (rather than near one of our natural night wakings) so you do not fully wake them.
    Many children with or without a diagnosis wake more than our natural sleep wakings and this is our job to eliminate. You will always find links between sleep disorders and children with the same dignosis but remember every child is different and so is each family, which is what makes our job so rewarding because we have to investigate each families situation and eliminate that child's sleep problems!
    We manage behavioural sleep disorders so of course any medical concerns need to be discussed with your consultant or GP.
    Em x

Brightness