Should we be concerned about a war? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should we be concerned about a war?

Options

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hello everyone. I’d just like to share the team’s thoughts on a few issues this thread has raised. Of course it’s okay to share an opinion, and we are not trying to censor anyone, we’d just like to understand where some statements have come from. This matters because there’s often a lot of misinformation and disinformation present online around global events, especially ones which are constantly evolving.

If you'd like to read more about that, here is a guide from Hwb.

Sometimes we need to check that sources of information are reliable. This also helps anyone reading a thread to understand discussion more fully around a topic. If we want to engage in discussion here on the forum, it’s important to be open to people questioning your view, which is a positive thing.

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I think what people need to remember is they can post an opinion as long as it abides by the community rules and guidelines. 

Try and post fact and don’t back it up and course you will be challenged. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Alex_Scope said:...we’d just like to understand where some statements have come from. This matters because there’s often a lot of misinformation and disinformation present online around global events, especially ones which are constantly evolving.
    One of the stories i have found most upsetting is that of people living in Ukraine ringing their parents living in Russia who refuse to believe what their children are telling them. This is the outcome when we can no longer agree facts and has wider implications far beyond the terrible events in Ukraine (a country that experienced more than it's fair share of suffering in the twentieth century too).
    Here's the original story
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60600487
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is also no proof that technology is going to be used in the event of a nuclear war either not everyone has technology and as alleged there would be a cyber attack before that its not just as simple as it will come on your phone whst if it's off battery is flat havent got technology  which is why wales are using flood sirens 

Anyone who lives in wsles will know wales don't report on every thing they do the less that's reported the better and the less Russia is informed 

I am at a loss why they have have reported that uk soldiers have gone Awol to fight for Ukraine as reported they are not allowed  and could potentially start world war 3 so now Russia know that sometimes there are  times when things shouldn't be reported silence is sometimes better 

Wether or not putin has cancer or mental health issues he is a dangerous man he has everyone's life in his hands and only ge knows what he is going to do 

Regarding bunkers you can go into any library or go on line to find out exactly where the bunkers are and get a print out but in a nuclear war vitualy impossible to get to one 

We are not prepared for a nuclear war  because in my opinion no one believes that someone would cause a nuclear war but now we are thst point everyone said putin wouldn't attack Ukraine in the first place in my opinion its clear that this man is not in his right mind 

The BBC 24hr news reports on the war  and it showed how close the Russians were to blowing up the nuclear station luckily all is fine his own government need to topple him 

He hasn't given up so far and the only information we have is what is reported how else do we know how csn you prove if a report is right or wrong in several reports its Been alleged  that we are very close to a world war do we say oh no can't be there's no proof 

@woodbine I agree with what you said 

All any of us can do is try and live our lives stay in touch with loved ones even in normal life without a war tomorrow isn't guaranteed all we can do is hope that someone or something can stop putin surly someone can stop one man because that's all it is one man threatening the world in control of a dangerous button 
  • calcotti
    Options
    lisathomas50 said:.. his own government need to topple him 
    Sadly that seems very unlikely to happen (but we can hope).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    We are lucky here in the UK we see what is happening on our TV's we read about it in the newspapers and listen to it on our radios, we have access to the internet and social media. The people of Russia aren't as fortunate they have to rely on state run media pumping out propaganda 24/7.

Now in my "opinion" Putin is a war criminal he has allowed his army to kill innocent women and children, to bomb a maternity hospital and other hospitals (16 of them according to the UN).

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Difficult to see how Putin would ever be tried for war crimes though, even when he retires from public life I guess he will be protected deep in the heart of Russia.

on a separate note I’m hoping that the Chinese Red Cross will indeed help in this situation, something which has been mooted by sky news. I’m thinking that the Chinese Red Cross will actually be safe from enemy fire whilst carrying out humanitarian work. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Options
    Must admit I think that China has a part to play in all this, as it stands they are keeping out of it, neither supporting or being critical of Russia.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,108 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    IMHO we should resist scaremongering. Is there likely to be a nuclear war? In short, no. Please see:  https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/03/here-are-the-scenarios-where-putin-might-actually-use-a-nuke.html

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,823 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It gives me anxiety all this war stuff, j don't watch news at moment 
  • woodbine
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    IMHO we should resist scaremongering. Is there likely to be a nuclear war? In short, no. Please see:  https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/03/here-are-the-scenarios-where-putin-might-actually-use-a-nuke.html

According to the BBC the White House may be thinking otherwise:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60683248

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,108 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for the link @woodbine - tho had already read this. It seems to be more about chemical /biological weapons, rather than nuclear.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Calcotti  that's all we have is hope 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    If putin can order an attack on a maternity hospital killing mothers and babys there are no words strong enough to what I want to call him I cried watching the maternity hospital footage what is wrong with them they should turn on putin I have just recently been made a nan again and I felt for those women and babies ge needs to be stopped 
  • woodbine
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Thank you for the link @woodbine - tho had already read this. It seems to be more about chemical /biological weapons, rather than nuclear.
    it's also about what is known as tactical nuclear weapons for use on the battlefield.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Let’s hope the two sides can reach agreement and stop this needless suffering ASAP.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    I hope so too @leeCal, it's extremely difficult to watch these things going on in the world right now. I'm keeping up to date with the core news headlines about the war, but have had to step away from news apps/articles as personally, it's not good for my mental health. 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    woodbine said:
    it's also about what is known as tactical nuclear weapons for use on the battlefield.
    Which could have a yield equal to the bombs dropped on Japan in WW2.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
    Options
    Nostradamus predicted this back in 1555
    He specifically predicted war in Europe during 2022
    He also made many predictions that did NOT happen - so I will leave you to think about this one

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    On the news it keeps saying there is a real threat of a nuclear war  we all hope it won't come to that but we can't pretend it's not happening 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.