Should we be concerned about a war? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should we be concerned about a war?

Options

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am still dumbfounded by the fact that Putin made war with a peaceful country who posed no existential threat to Russia. All it has caused is untold misery and death to innocents. Whilst men like Putin hold such power to destroy can there ever be any real progress on this planet for the human race. 

In stead of wasting billions on war we could be alleviating famine and disease or attempting to invent new green technologies. Do we really want to be fighting to the death as the waters cover our fields and homes. War is madness.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Sorting out my recycling does seem rather pointless at the moment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    This made me chuckle, but I of course understand where you're coming from. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,114 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The nuclear issue is a 'threat;' a warning by Russia that NATO shouldn't have any troops, etc, in Ukraine, nor have a 'no fly zone' policy over it, which would be seen as a direct challenge against Russia.
  • calcotti
    edited March 2022
    Options
    calcotti said:
    This made me chuckle, but I of course understand where you're coming from. 
    I will of course still do it because it’s something I have control over.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    The nuclear issue is a 'threat;' a warning by Russia that NATO shouldn't have any troops, etc, in Ukraine, nor have a 'no fly zone' policy over it, which would be seen as a direct challenge against Russia.

But what if madman, Putin decides to take things further and attack Poland - can we just sit back and do nothing then ?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's horrible to think we have to trust in others to sort the problem but in my opinion comments like if putin puts a toe on nato land we will go to war in my opinion they are behaving like children and goading putin into a nuclear war he keeps threatening  and we threaten back its just futile in my opinion and while all that's going on putins army are killing innocent people it's a long drawn out war that no one in my opinion  knows how stop it without the world going to war 

We live in uncertain times with the war and corona virus rising again all we can do is control our own lives and live the best way we can 
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 240 Pioneering
    edited March 2022
    Options
    My worry is how can we be sure that in the future, we won't have a  mad prime minister who will decide to invade Ireland for similar reasons Russia invades Ukraine. 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2022
    Options
    My worry is how can we be sure that in the future, we won't have a  mad prime minister who will decide to invade Ireland for similar reasons Russia invades Ukraine. 
    Could this not cause a Guinness shortage ? Terrible !
    Also - what would happen to all of the "little people" ?

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We had a PM in the 1980's who suffered from BSE and even though we were suffering from I.R.A attacks on the mainland she didn't invade.
    I also have my suspicions that without help we are no longer capable of invading the Isle of Man.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Wibbles
    Options
    woodbine said:
    We had a PM in the 1980's who suffered from BSE and even though we were suffering from I.R.A attacks on the mainland she didn't invade.
    I also have my suspicions that without help we are no longer capable of invading the Isle of Man.
    You are probably correct but we can give an enemy a nasty suck!! 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,114 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hoping this is a flippant comment @woodbine - Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) is a disorder of cattle. The variant that people get is called variant Creutzfelt-Jakob disease (vCJD), which affected some 200+ people (mainly in the UK. tho the numbers I 'think' may have been higher). I say this because with my Dad I was contacted by a University studying Creutzfelt-Jacob disease, as they thought he was suffering from this; by then he was too unwell, so I thought it pointless in trying to question this further.
    Fast forward several years, & a neighbour couldn't live with her husband any more.....changing from a lovely person he became a gambler & incurred heavy debt. It wasn't until after understandably kicking him out, & his untimely demise in his early 30s that it was found he'd had vCJD, so I feel there may have been more that suffered from this.
    There's a time & place for flippancy; perhaps not right now.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    woodbine said:

I totally agree with you - but that is the reason for NATO - to share resources if it comes to need !
  • AndrewHall
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    woodbine said:

I totally agree with you - but that is the reason for NATO - to share resources if it comes to need !

NATO is there to Protect and defend, not when you are the aggressor. 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    woodbine said:

NATO is there to Protect and defend, not when you are the aggressor. 
    But in this case NATO is NOT the aggressor Russia IS
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2022
    Options
    For President Putin, all that counts now is that he can declare victory. No matter that everyone in his entire administration will understand that Russia has been given a bloody nose in this unnecessary invasion. No matter that the 20% or so of Russians who understand what's really going on in the world will know that Putin has bet the house on a fantasy of his own devising, and lost.

The battle will be for the support of the remaining majority of the population, who tend to believe implicitly what they're told on state television - even when there are moments such as the sudden popping-up on screen of the extraordinarily brave TV editor Marina Ovsyannikova with a placard to say that everything people are being told is propaganda.

Russia has made a booboo and is trying to find a way out that doesn't admit defeat

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Well hopefuly the peace talks will work and the war will end on the news it said that the system to alert people of a nuclear war on technology isn't even set up yet over arguments of who is going to pay for it wether it's true or not I don't know it was on the news made me smile though would it matter 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options

Oh maybe the peace talks didn't work in my opinion he is playing games no disrespect if all those Russians in that stadium they showed on TV belive putin is right in my opinion makes them as bad as him unless they had to go and didn't have a choice for someone who is alleged to be paranoid any one of those people could of killed him

• calcotti
    Options
    lisathomas50 said:.. all those Russians in that stadium they showed on TV belive putin is right in my opinion makes them as bad as him ..
    Many rely on information gained from Russian state television and believe what they are told. That makes them misinformed and misled but not bad.
  • AndrewHall
    Options

Oh maybe the peace talks didn't work in my opinion he is playing games no disrespect if all those Russians in that stadium they showed on TV belive putin is right in my opinion makes them as bad as him unless they had to go and didn't have a choice for someone who is alleged to be paranoid any one of those people could of killed him

Yes, the Russians are misinformed just like the Brexiteers were misinformed by our Crime Minister 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.