Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Stopping work and ESA

Options
124»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,109 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Are you told your entitled?
    How do you know? 

They send you a decision letter. If you're entitled to payments you will receive £77/week. This will increase from the 14th week if placed into the Support Group.

Still being employed makes no difference because you're not actually working. If you're planning on returning to work then you must make sure you work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £152/week after deductions, this is known as permitted work. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/permitted-work-rules

ESA has nothing to do with your employer so you don't need to hand your notice in and you shouldn't do this without first getting some expert advice.

When you have your work capability assessment they look at your ability to do any type of work, not just the work you used to do. You'll very likely need an assessment as i previously advised, which is likely to be by telephone but it could be either face to face or video call.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Broreb1981
    Broreb1981 Community member Posts: 165 Courageous
    Options
    If they have not made a decision by 23rd does my money stop. I can't claim UC. So I would only have PIP as income is that correct 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If they have not made a decision by 23rd does my money stop. I can't claim UC. So I would only have PIP as income is that correct 

Your ESA can't stop because it hasn't started yet. If entitled to it then it's paid for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    I meant the ssp
  • poppy123456
    Options
    SSP can only be paid for 28 weeks. If you haven't had a decision letter from ESA in the next week then you can ring them to ask if there's any updates about your application. As i advised, payments can't start until SSP ends anyway. ESA is a weekly benefit paid fortnightly in arrears.

Is the reason you don't qualify for UC because you have too much savings?
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    We rent out my previous house
  • poppy123456
    Options
    We rent out my previous house

Are you related to the person you rent the property to?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The initial entitlement to ESA is based solely on having submitted your Fit Note and SSP1 and having a complete NI record for 2020-21 and 2021-22. The health questionnaire and assessment is to determine if you can continue to receive ESA after the assessment and whether you are placed in the Support Group or not.
    (EDIT - corrected typos.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Thank you for explaining... I have checked and that's all in order so everything should be OK 
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Work have asked me to attend for an occupational health assessment because the doctors report didn't give them enough information. What's your advice on me attending or not attending this assessment. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Completely up to you @Broreb1981. However, typically, occupational health is there to help you at work and ensure you have what you need  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.