Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Stopping work and ESA

Options

Comments

• Broreb1981
    Broreb1981 Community member Posts: 165 Courageous
    Options
    Hi poppy123456.... Would it matter if my sicknote stated ankle injury but I state my conditions for applying for ESA when asked to further down the line. I really don't want work to have any info that can be spread around
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,109 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    That will make no difference. A fit note is not evidence that you're not fit for work. Though i agree with calcotti that you should put mental health on there.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Regarding leaving work you should get a copy of the company policy relating to long term absence and medical dismissal 

Some companies pay compensation for leaving due to health it isn't a legal requirement but some dk pay a severance payment 

Rather than just leaving discuss with hr what your options are that you can't see a possible return to work . They may refer you to oh for work place assessment as part of the process 

You can still be off sick after ssp ends and claim esa .

I would advise to follow any company process rather than just resigning 
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    We don't have a HR department, it's a family run business and the director would no way pay me any severance pay. He doesn't care about his staff, during this time off I've had it proven. I've been there for 15 years they told me via posting me a handbook, underlining the sickness procedure which I've followed since and they haven't even had the decency to answer my emails or ask how I am. We have no one to talk to there, my manager only does what he's told and doesn't fight for his staff. That's why I think it would be easier to hand my notice in and start a fresh 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I get that it's your decision 

Either way they would have to make a decision at some stage about your future employment and put the responsibility on them rather than you doing it for them 

You have nothing to lose staying employed till they decide . But I also understand that not having to think about work can help some people 
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Poppy123456 please could I ask how do I approach with the GP getting mental health added to my sicknote. My ankle injury is still not resolved 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Poppy123456 please could I ask how do I approach with the GP getting mental health added to my sicknote. My ankle injury is still not resolved 
    Just ask your GP. If they decline it doesn’t matter.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    All you can do is ask them. It doesn't really matter to be honest anyway because as i advised a fit note isn't evidence that you're not fit for work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    OK thank you 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Broreb1981. It is the very least you deserve.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Please could I ask what the support group rates are from April, I'm having trouble understanding it on the government website. I am over 18, no children, live with my partner, he works full time, dont qualify for UC. What rate would I get 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Please could I ask what the support group rates are from April, I'm having trouble understanding it on the government website. I am over 18, no children, live with my partner, he works full time, dont qualify for UC. What rate would I get 

£77 per week if over 25. If placed into the Support Group this will increase to £117.60 from the 14th week.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Is it rising in April like other benefits 
  • calcotti
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Is it rising in April like other benefits 
    Yes, by 10.1%

The standard allowance become £84.80 and the Support Group component becomes £44.70 so total payment becomes £129.50.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/benefit-and-pension-rates-2023-to-2024/benefit-and-pension-rates-2023-to-2024#employment-and-support-allowance-esa
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Do I need the ssp ending form from work before apply for ESA 
  • calcotti
    Options
    You will need the SSP1 form before you can be paid any ESA because ESA need evidence of when SSP ended.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Do I need the ssp ending form from work before apply for ESA 

You can apply 3 months before it ends but ESA can't be paid until SSP has ended.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Should I put on my ESA claim my ankle injury. I'm having a scan today, I might need surgery. At the moment I can't drive or walk far without pain. I'm hoping it can be fixed though but I'm not sure how long it will take to recover until I know what's wrong. I also have schizoaffective disorder and fibromyalgia which is the main reason why I'm applying. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You need to put down all your conditions.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    I've applied for ESA and sent off my sicknote and SSP1 form, they have sent a text confirming they have received them. What should I next expect from them? 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.