Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Stopping work and ESA

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,114 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You’ll receive a letter telling you if you’re entitled to payment or not. If entitled your payments won’t start until SSP ends. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Broreb1981
    Broreb1981 Community member Posts: 165 Courageous
    Options
    After that do I have to go for an assessment? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will be sent the work capability assessment form first. Once that’s returned it’s likely you’ll need an assessment because most have them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Is it similar to a PIP assessment? Do I need to explain how all my conditions affect me or just focus on what I see as the most debilitating for me. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes similar to PIP assessment.
    Do I need to explain how all my conditions affect me or just focus on what I see as the most debilitating for me. 
    When you fill out the ESA50 form you need to tell them about all of your conditions. When you have the assessment i can't tell you what questions they will ask because they're different for everyone, depending on how your conditions affect you.

• Broreb1981
    Options
    My SSP is ending on 23 Feb. I'm still employed but I know I won't be able to go back. I've been advised to not hand my notice in and to wait to see what work intend to do. Has anyone else experienced this, what normally happens, what are the benefits of me not handing my notice in. Would future employers look at me badly if I was dismissed by my employer due to illness rather than me handing my notice in. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    We have a member who has exceptional knowledge and experience with this, i'll tag her to see if she can help and advise you. @janer1967 could you advise here please. Apologies for tagging you.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there no problem for the tag @poppy123456 I'm like you don't get notifications 

You have been advised correctly not to hand in your notice and wait for your employer to progress 

Tyr and get a copy of the long term sick policy or medical dismissal policy to see what the process is 

It will most likely progress to medical dismissal you should be referred to oh for a work place assessment and they will look to see if any adjustments can be made or if you are unfit to return to any role 

If not fit then it will lead to medical dismissal Some employers pay a severance for this however there is no legal requirement to do this.  This is why you shouldn't resign as you could miss out 

Medical dismissal shouldn't affect future employment with other companies but can with company dismissed from they sometimes say you can't return within a certain time period if they have paid you off especially 

Just ask if you need any other info 
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    I've had a letter from work saying they want a meeting next Wednesday and they want my permission for them to contact my Dr to ask what adjustments can be made for me to return to work and to find out when I should be better. They also want access to my medical records. It also says that if they feel it's going to be too far in the future before I'm better they would begin dismissing me but have also given me the option to tell them now if I have decide to hand my notice in. How can the doctor know when I will be better? How can the doctor know what adjustments can be made? Why do they need access to my medical records? The doctor does not know my pain, how the meds affect me or when I will recover. Should I be going to OH through work for them to get that info from me? 

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This sounds really difficult and uncertain for you @Broreb1981. I hope it goes ok for you, or at least the best it possibly can. 

It would seem that the doctor will know these things based on their understanding of your needs, and potentially the trajectory of people with similar needs. 

You could always raise this with your GP if you are unsure though. I always believe you know yourself and your needs best. 

Have you got any other health professionals - such as hospital consultants etc? I am wondering if their letters may also be taken into account by seeing your medical records. 

As you mentioned, you could also speak to OH if you wish. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to support you through this. 

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    How long before I should receive the ESA50 form. My SSP doesn't end until 23 Feb. I applied 2 weeks ago online and I've sent 3 sicknotes and the SSP1 form, I've had texts telling me they have been received. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Your ESA doesn't start for another month so it should be after that when you receive the form. As i previously advised, you can't be paid ESA until your SSP ends.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi @Broreb1981

It sounds like a difficult situation and I hope the continued support from our members is helping. 

Last September you said:
    I struggle with voices and paranoia. I struggle with change in my routine, I really get panicked and need to be calmed down. The stress of the job makes my voices and paranoia worse
    and I wanted to check in, and ask how this was going. Are you still hearing voices? And, have you been referred by your GP to a local community mental health team for help ? I hope so, as you need not struggle with this privately. I hope beginning the process of leaving your work has helped ease your symptoms somewhat. 

In terms of the meeting next week, Scope have lots of advice on reasonable adjustments. Occupational Health are there to carry out assessments and recommend what reasonable adjustments can help disabled people, so I'd ask about this path with your employer. Equally,  ACAS advise regards access to medical records:

When an employer can ask to see an employee's medical records
    An employer can ask for a doctor's report about their employee's health if it's needed to stick to the law. For example to:
    • assess whether the employee is fit to carry out their work
    • prevent health and safety risks
    The employer can only do this if the employee agrees.
    The employee can also:
    • ask their doctor not to give information they think could be damaging or is not relevant
    • ask to see the doctor's report first
    • not agree to the doctor's report being shared with their employer if they disagree with what it says
    If the employee does not wish the employer to see their medical information, the employer will have to make a decision based on what they know and are told by the employee.
    Use our template letter to an employee's doctor

I hope that helps. Please let us know how you get on and take care.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    I have already been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and it has helped me a lot not having the added pressure of work on top of dealing with my mental health, fibromyalgia and now CRPS. 
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    My SSP ends on 23rd Feb. I've applied for ESA and sent SSP1 and sicknotes which have been acknowledged. Does the ESA just start automatically when the ssp ends? When should I get my first payment? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My SSP ends on 23rd Feb. I've applied for ESA and sent SSP1 and sicknotes which have been acknowledged. Does the ESA just start automatically when the ssp ends? When should I get my first payment? 
    It will depend on whether or not they have processed your claim by then.
    Once processed he should be sent the health questionnaire to complete and return.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Sorry I've never claimed before. So they can issue ESA before I fill in the questionnaire? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    So they can issue ESA before I fill in the questionnaire? 
    If entitled to ESA payments they should start once the SSP ends. You will then be sent the ESA50 form.

• Broreb1981
    Options
    Are you told your entitled?
    How do you know? 
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    I'm still employed 30 hours a week. I'm pretty sure I should qualify for the support group. Will they take into account my current employment and then deny SG or what happens, would I have to hand notice in if employer can't accommodate the SG rules for hours/pay 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.