Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

House share

tdotmelty27tdotmelty27 Member Posts: 25 Listener
edited February 28 in Universal Credit
Hi im house sharing with my friend we are both named tennats he works full time i dont i receive pip and trying to claim universal credit would i be able to get any housing benefits or anything like that as thw other person who is a tenant works because the agreement was we  both pay half each of the bills we aint a couple and are simply just two male friends surly i should get something despite being both joint tenants any help on this?


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,962 Disability Gamechanger

    I would contact welfare rights 

    You can claim UC as single claim to her housing element you will need a copy of tenancy agreement and this should state joint tenancy with independent other and state your contribution to the rent 

    All you can do is try I think if I remember the form asks if you are sole tenant 
  • tdotmelty27tdotmelty27 Member Posts: 25 Listener
    @janer1967 thanks for the reply the thing is the tenancy just states that my name and other other person (my friend) are both liable for the rent doesnt state any breakdown of who owes what that was a mutual agreement between me and my mate.
  • Sheree_8Sheree_8 Member Posts: 47 Listener
    Best to contact Citizens Advice as well as UC telephone line on how to claim housing costs due to the Joint tenancy, and to clarify that you are claiming as a single person, and you happen to live together as flat mates as were
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,962 Disability Gamechanger
    I would have a look at the UC application form and notes for completion it may give some guidance or see what it says on gov website 

    Or as I said before contact welfare rights 

    Uc helpline isnt always best for advice they are just call centre and process claims rather than give advice 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,999 Disability Gamechanger
    I will now only offer benefits advice on PIP, and specific benefits advice for other people with Epilepsy. 
Sign in or join us to comment.