House share — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

House share

Options
tdotmelty27
tdotmelty27 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
edited February 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi im house sharing with my friend we are both named tennats he works full time i dont i receive pip and trying to claim universal credit would i be able to get any housing benefits or anything like that as thw other person who is a tenant works because the agreement was we  both pay half each of the bills we aint a couple and are simply just two male friends surly i should get something despite being both joint tenants any help on this?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

I would contact welfare rights 

You can claim UC as single claim to her housing element you will need a copy of tenancy agreement and this should state joint tenancy with independent other and state your contribution to the rent 

All you can do is try I think if I remember the form asks if you are sole tenant 
  • tdotmelty27
    tdotmelty27 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    Options
    @janer1967 thanks for the reply the thing is the tenancy just states that my name and other other person (my friend) are both liable for the rent doesnt state any breakdown of who owes what that was a mutual agreement between me and my mate.
  • Sheree_8
    Sheree_8 Community member Posts: 80 Courageous
    Options
    Best to contact Citizens Advice as well as UC telephone line on how to claim housing costs due to the Joint tenancy, and to clarify that you are claiming as a single person, and you happen to live together as flat mates as were
    Sheree
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would have a look at the UC application form and notes for completion it may give some guidance or see what it says on gov website 

Or as I said before contact welfare rights 

Uc helpline isnt always best for advice they are just call centre and process claims rather than give advice 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.