Should I reapply? — Scope | Disability forum

Should I reapply?

pljet63com
pljet63com Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
In 2017 i was getting full rate mobility and had a mobility car, i contacted the pip department on advice from pip disability group when my condition got worst and was reassessed and had my mobility removed withing a week and i appealed and they still k by there decision i went to court and they stuck to there decision. So I'm on low rate for both. I have a  fybromyalgia. Deaf in one ear. Arthritis.sleep appnea.5 slipped disc s. Weak knees overlaying toes and rocker bottom feet. My question is it's been about a year should i reapply many thanks.paul.

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    I should wait for your review that's the price people pay when you report that you have got worse it gives the DWP the opportunity to reassess you
  • pljet63com
    Hi Markyboy thanks  for the reply I don't have another review until 2024 I could do with the help now.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,812 Disability Gamechanger
    You presumably didn’t ask for a statement of reasons and record of proceedings or look to appeal to the Upper Tribunal? Your next step is face to face advice. This is not an appropriate question for a forum populated largely by lay people. 
  • pljet63com
    Face to face from whom qmikehughescq
  • mikehughescq
    Citizens Advice, local law centre, independent advice centre or local authority welfare rights service.
  • markyboy
    markyboy Member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    In most cases lay people have more knowledge about PIP than the organisations that you mention having been thro the process of claiming PIP
    i personally have found posts on this forum more invaluable than any organisation can give.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    markyboy said:
    In most cases lay people have more knowledge about PIP than the organisations that you mention having been thro the process of claiming PIP
    i personally have found posts on this forum more invaluable than any organisation can give.
    I wouldn't know as I have never been able to access any help or advice from such an agency during the past 5 years and 3 PIP claims later!
  • mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Member Posts: 33 Connected
    So you are getting no PIP award at minute? If that is the case re-apply straight away. I lost my PIP due to a tedious error at DWP, re-applied and got it back. Only lost about 2 months of money in total.
    Sarah
  • mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Member Posts: 33 Connected
    I know a lot about PIP and how to fill out form, I'm sure many others on here do too who can help you with any confusion. 
    Sarah
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    @pljet63com

PIP is awarded not for conditions themselves but for how they affect your daily living and mobility.  For enhanced rate mobility you must not be able to walk farther than 20m aided before you need to stop and rest for a few minutes.

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to all stages of PIP.
  • mikehughescq
    markyboy said:
    With all due respect that’s an assertion riddled with assumptions that are largely incorrect so let’s take them one at a time. 

1) You assume that advisers in the organisations I mention are somehow entirely different to claimants. That’s easy to prove wrong. Most poverty is in work poverty and most people claiming HB/CTR are in work. Working Tax Credit is an in work benefit and people working in advice services are as representative of society at large as any other organisation if not more so. Their reason for entering advice work is often precisely because they too have been through those claim processes and may indeed currently be in receipt of many of those same benefits. There’s no us and them here. We are very much you but with training in the law, caselaw and guidance.

2) People who claim PIP have their own experience but that is not the same as knowledge. You may have claimed PIP successfully and been through a renewal. You will naturally assume that what you did was therefore correct and gives you as much knowledge if not more than advisers. Most claimants on here are unlikely to go through their lives finding that to always be true. Indeed this forum is full of people who can’t understand why what they did for DLA hasn’t worked for PIP. There are many who got PIP and who can’t understand why their renewal or supersession didn’t work. There are many more threads showing people assuming repeatedly that medical evidence that they have a specific condition ought to get them PIP and yet they’ve fallen short. Lived experience cannot and should not be denied but it also shouldn’t be confused with knowledge. Clearly there is some overlap and there are some excellent posters on here who have never worked in advice work. Are they in the majority? I doubt there’s a one of them who would claim that.

3) It is entirely understandable that some people have some mistrust of advice services and one would hope that would (sadly) be based solely on their own experiences rather than a generalised dislike or mistrust. Equally, it would be stupid to deny that there can be very solid reasons for that. However, to suggest that somehow all should be tarred with the brush of an individual experience and people with no knowledge of the law etc. should by and large be more relied upon is ill-informed and a dangerous road. There are more posters on here saying they value professional advice but can no longer access it than there are saying they either don’t need it or don’t want it. 

4) Posts on this forum can give experiences and information. Those can be helpful but they are a partial picture and they are not the same, nor anything like, professional advice. Information is nothing like advice. You can put the former on a web page. The latter can be complex and entirely dependent on personal circumstances. The confusion between information and advice is exactly what has lost many areas their advice services and led funders to believe the they can replace advice and representation with a few web pages; some fact sheets and community led initiatives. Almost every area that’s done this is now finding out just how problematic that is.

This thread contains incomplete advice from one poster to reapply for PIP because that’s what they did and it worked for them. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect example of the dangers of people with experience assuming that qualifies as advice.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    I know a lot about PIP and how to fill out form, I'm sure many others on here do too who can help you with any confusion. 
    No doubt you do, but you would be hard pushed to get a new claim up and running from a 70 year old guy!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.