Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)?

Options

Comments

• LancsRose
    LancsRose Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Thank you very much for your response. The second dose was administered by a nurse and my right arm is perfectly fine, Sadly, our successful vaccine program has been largely due to a high amount of wonderful volunteers which has resulted in probably more incidences of incorrect vaccine technique. However, I would encourage everyone to have the vaccine ... just make sure it is with a nurse or doctor. Hoping my doctor sends me for an mri and the nerve relief pain tablets start to make a difference soon.. Thanks once again for your response and advice regarding the cushion. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @LancsRose, I just wanted to note that volunteers administering the vaccine do have to go through quite a robust training programme before they're allowed to administer the vaccine. As the St John's Ambulance website outlines:
    All volunteers will meet strict selection criteria, mandated by the NHS, and receive appropriate clinical training. This includes official courses developed in partnership with and approved by NHS England. As well as extensive training, they will be subject to assessments and clinical supervision to ensure their own safety and that of everyone receiving the vaccine.
    As you say, it's important to encourage everyone who's able to to have the vaccine. Incidences of SIRVA are fortunately rare, but I'm sorry you and a couple of other users have experienced pain after your vaccines.

I hope that the Neurontin does the trick, but definitely do go back to see your doctor if the pain doesn't improve.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • llahl55
    llahl55 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Hi me again. I hope everyone manages to get the help they need. I have an appointment on Thursday to see my GP (was supposed to be a phone consultation but I didn’t see the point and no one could look at my shoulder so after much complaining I managed to arrange a face to face)  but unfortunately I’ve today tested positive for Covid when doing a home test ??‍♀️ . My appointment has been changed back to a phone consultation so hopefully I’ll still get some kind of advice. It’s typical that I finally manage to get to see someone after 2.5 month of trying and I can’t go ? x
  • lisad75
    lisad75 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hi @LancsRose, I just wanted to note that volunteers administering the vaccine do have to go through quite a robust training programme before they're allowed to administer the vaccine. As the St John's Ambulance website outlines:
    All volunteers will meet strict selection criteria, mandated by the NHS, and receive appropriate clinical training. This includes official courses developed in partnership with and approved by NHS England. As well as extensive training, they will be subject to assessments and clinical supervision to ensure their own safety and that of everyone receiving the vaccine.
    As you say, it's important to encourage everyone who's able to to have the vaccine. Incidences of SIRVA are fortunately rare, but I'm sorry you and a couple of other users have experienced pain after your vaccines.

I hope that the Neurontin does the trick, but definitely do go back to see your doctor if the pain doesn't improve.
    Hi! Can I just throw something out here about the training. Only because I have a few friends in the nursing profession who have been vaccinating in their spare time and who have commented to me that their injection training aims to target the upper arm/shoulder area and my one friend in particular said that she was ignoring this advice. She has been giving injections to children for years and has never come across aiming the injection so high before. I would really like to know why this is the case. All my previous flu jabs have been much lower down. My 2nd jab was fine albeit that was very high in my good arm (right). I'm still in daily pain with my left arm, especially first thing in the morning but I think I can safely say, the pain has reduced in intensity. I've been doing the exercises recommended above by chiarieds ? and I think the gravity element does work
  • lisad75
    lisad75 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    llahl55 said:
    Hi me again. I hope everyone manages to get the help they need. I have an appointment on Thursday to see my GP (was supposed to be a phone consultation but I didn’t see the point and no one could look at my shoulder so after much complaining I managed to arrange a face to face)  but unfortunately I’ve today tested positive for Covid when doing a home test ??‍♀️ . My appointment has been changed back to a phone consultation so hopefully I’ll still get some kind of advice. It’s typical that I finally manage to get to see someone after 2.5 month of trying and I can’t go ? x
    Sorry to hear, I hope you get well soon ?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,688 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The latest figures are now 67 million vaccines have been done including 27 million second doses and the incidence of any prolonged problems seems extremely low.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think everyone on this thread has commented on the importance of the vaccine, but I take onboard what lisad75 has said....all such vaccines are intramuscular & should be in the body of the deltoid muscle (which is prominent when you take your upper arm out to the side), & should not be anywhere near the actual shoulder joint. Pleased the gravity-assisted exercises are helping, & hope others who have been similarly affected try them.
  • Clive55
    Clive55 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi I had my second jab on 6 April and now the pain in my shoulder leaves me in agony I cannot move when it kicks in,  after a while I manage to move the pain is still really bad but I have to get moving with windmill action it takes ages to ease the pain you are scared to move so yes it does exist don't be fob off
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Try the exercises above, as gravity aids your shoulder movement more easily.
    Try this as a first gentle exercise. Stand & put the foot of your unaffected side slightly forwards so you have a comfortable base. Lean forwards, letting your affected arm hang. Now swing your arm backwards & forwards within your pain-free arc. Do this gently for a couple of minutes. Next try moving your hand in a comfortable circle first one way, then the other. Gravity thus helps aid movement, & you can increase the range as you progress, always moving your shoulder within your pain-free arc. Don't push through the pain as this just increases the pain cycle. Try this a little & often throughout your day.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Clive55

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced this too. As mentioned previously it can occur with any vaccine and can be a result of poor vaccine administration. Have you discussed your symptoms with your GP?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • rachaellouise
    rachaellouise Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I’m so pleased I’ve found this forum. I thought I was going mad. I too have experienced terrible shoulder/arm pain since my 1st Covid jab. I was surprised at how high the chap did this at the time but didn’t think. I noticed someone said the person administering the jab shouldn’t be stood up and you sat down. Now I’ve read this I’ll be contacting my GP for help, it’s been 6 weeks now and no over the counter painkiller is touching it. Can I just also add I am a huge advocate of the COVID jab and not bashing the vaccine itself. 2nd one booked at the end of June so I’ll be asking for the other arm and lower! 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @rachaellouise - & welcome to the forum. Pleased you realised your problem was due to misadministration of the vaccine & not the vaccine itself. As an intramuscular vaccine it should be given into the deltoid muscle & not near the shoulder joint itself. I don't think it's a matter of the person being stood up & you sat down, which I feel is how any vaccine would be normally administered, but unfortunately in some not being injected in the right area. Please do try the gravity assisted exercise I mention above to aid your shoulder mobilisation, as well as contacting your GP.
  • rachaellouise
    rachaellouise Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you. Absolutely not the actual vaccine related no. Just on the line with them GP! 
  • AmyS1992
    AmyS1992 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Options
    I'm sorry that others are struggling with pain too. I just thought I'd add an update to the original post. My pain has got gradually worse and I've begun physio which has made things more painful if anything. I've been informed now by 3 GPs now that the needle used for Covid vaccines is not long or big enough to cause any issues. I personally don't believe this, having now spoken with dozens of UK patients with the same issues and having had no shoulder problems prior to the vaccination. I've since lodged a complaint and have now been offered an ultrasound. Hopefully the ultrasound will shed more light but if not, I will be pushing for an MRI.

@chiarieds @rachaellouise a vaccine being administered by someone standing over a seated patient does go against best practice for vaccine administration. The needle should be inserted straight (ie. the vaccinators eyes should be roughly level with the vaccination site) and not "down into" the arm. I was given this information by a solicitor with experience in this field - which I sought after realising that most SIRVA cases are easily avoidable and are generally considered negligence.
  • tinnes1
    tinnes1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    This has been my experience.  First jab didn’t feel right, felt like it struggled and I felt every part of it.  I developed a frozen shoulder, couldn’t move, undress etc.  Never had problems before, had flu jab yearly with no problems.  Just had second jab today and injection was effortless and in a completely different par of the arm.  First jab was was 1st April and I still have pain in my shoulder.  I’ve had accupuncture which has helped massively but it’s still not right and painful at night. I really believe it is down to being injected incorrectly.  GPs etc don’t think so but I really don’t see why it isn’t obvious to them.  I was a drive through vaccinator, perhaps the car and position of the arm contributes to the problem.  Let’s hope I’m more successful with today’s 2nd jab. 
  • ab21
    ab21 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I saw my mri today. It showed the vaccine had been incorrectly injected into the teres minor muscle and not the deltoid muscle.  There is still lots of fluid.  Going to discuss whether i can have steroid injection or not. Other than that, its just physio and time.
  • jonew
    jonew Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I have developed pain and limited movement in my shoulder since I received my first jab on the 19/4. I went to a private clinic and rotary cuff  damage was ruled out. I was told it was most likely frozen shoulder. I am waiting for a doctors appointment so I expect it will be a while before I get confirmation. No previous problems with my shoulder. The injection didn’t hurt at all but it was sore for about a week after. I then noticed that I was not able to straighten my arm or reach my back anymore since then the pain has got worse. I’m unable to lay on my left side at all. Nice to hear I’m not the only one experiencing this! I am due my next jab in 3 weeks but think I will ask for it in my other arm.
  • Budge65
    Budge65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi All,

Sorry to hear about the pain and discomfort that some of you are suffering but also comforted to know that i am not alone.  Getting 2nd Jab next week and will now insist on an injection in my thigh after being in constant pain since 24th March.

Pain is not constant...as long as i dont move my arm too much and am sleeping ok.  Pain killers and ibuleve gel not really having much impact.....but time does seem to be a big healer.

When walking my dog and he decides to bolt on the rare occassion that i have the lead in my left hand pain is 10/10 and i feel like i could almost pass out.  

Will check in later to see how you are all faring and will look at the videos and give the exercises a go, although  i am rubbish at keeping up with physio

Best of luck all.....
  • chiarieds
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi @Budge65 - & welcome to the community. Sorry to read you are also affected. The ensuing problems do seem so much like a frozen shoulder, which is why I added the physio exercises above. Please don't be put off by my mentioning physio (as I am a qualified physio, sorry), & be open-minded & give them a go. I've treated rather a lot of patients with frozen shoulders, & gravity-assisted exercises proved beneficial. Just a few minutes several times a day may help, but keep within your pain-free arc, as pain induces more pain in a vicious cycle. The videos had me just a bit disconcerted, as whilst they might seem to increase shoulder mobility, it's counter-productive if by doing so it increases a person's pain.
    Just to add as has been said on this thread, the problems are due to inaccurate administration of the vaccine, which can occur with any vaccine, & not the vaccine itself.
    So, please try this first:
    Stand & put the foot of your unaffected side slightly forwards so you have a comfortable base. Lean forwards, letting your affected arm hang. Now swing your arm backwards & forwards within your pain-free arc. Do this gently for a couple of minutes. Next try moving your hand in a comfortable circle first one way, then the other. Gravity thus helps aid movement, & you can increase the range as you progress, always moving your shoulder within your pain-free arc. Don't push through the pain as this just increases the pain cycle. Try this a little & often throughout your day.
  • IRMAGEDDON17
    IRMAGEDDON17 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I have had three months of pain from SIRVA as a result of the covid vaccine needle and it has changed the way I live.  I went from yoga fit elasto woman to crippled arm and no guaranteed light at the end of the tunnel.  
    My GP was not interested enough to see me or even refer me to someone else and insisted- it couldn't be related to the vaccine shot. Well I know darn well that it was. Since then I have been left paddling my own canoe and it has been an interesting journey down the rapids.

I have been to three consequent health care professionals, two of which were physiotherapists.  All reported experience of knowing other patients with this very problem, albeit via the flu vaccine, but the result is the same; since we are discussing needle damage not vaccine related. It's clearly not as rare as some people believe.
     All three professionals were extremely helpful and informative and each was aware that it can take a long time to heal. One said that the only other way I could have damaged that particular muscle was from a high powered over head serve with a tennis racket. (I don't even own one).

Yes, it is clearly rare but if you rub beneath the surface you can find a lot about this subject. One doctor(not in the uk) claimed it occurs on average once in every 2000 jabs. Well no wonder it happens with flu jabs as this is a very commonly used vaccine but what does that mean statistically for the 72,891,861 covid shots injected so far.? I am guessing there are going to be a fair number of casualties. 
    My advice is go and report it on the yellow card system,  
     This is not about scaring people in to not having the vaccine.  Regardless of the fear I did have my second jab but I insisted on a qualified nurse.
    My sympathy is with you all, don't give up looking for a cure and if you find it, please let me know what it is.

Brightness