Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)? - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)?

Options

Comments

• lisad75
    lisad75 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Very interesting comment above, thank you. I think I will report this on the yellow card system thing.  I'm now finding the pain bearable in the day time (probably due to gravity) but the nights are a different story. I'm now sleeping on my left arm which I know doesn't help but I can't remain sleeping on the same side all of the time. I accidentally knocked my arm today and recoiled it quickly and jeez the pain, had to sit down. I've not been doing any exercises recently either (life been getting in the way) so I know I need to get back to doing them. It just isn't right though is it. 3 months on and still popping Nurofen most days. Gin helps too ? Good luck everyone else on your journeys back to better arm health.
  • izabela
    izabela Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I have had my 1st jab on 19th of April. I al still experiencing painful arm weakness every single day, and there is no sign of improvement. Naproxen isn't alleviating the uncomfortable throbbing, heavy and hard felt sensation. Reported to yellow card system. 
  • Hartnsoul
    Hartnsoul Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    Hi. I have a similar problem in my right arm since my flu jab last Sept. My arm is so painful now its difficult to dress myself. Im right handed too. I got a physio session at my surgery last Dec but after giving me exercises for my bad back and my sore arm both got much worse.

I spoke to a GP again who referred me for more physio but another one who is supposedly local. Only local by car as its 2 bus rides each way to there and Im no longer allowed to drive. I was also shielding during covid and not prepared to catch 4 buses when ppl dont wear masks and buses get packed so the physio gave me an online video session. He was appalled at the previous exercises advised, said I need to start gently first as probably caused more damage.
    That went well but the next session 2 weeks later I was in so much pain through trying to use my arm he said it needs resting before starting again, he wants to see me in person plus he would like to know for sure by further examination what the exact damage is around the area to give a clearer picture.

My pain is lower in the thickest part of my upper arm, it feels like I have a razor blade in the injection site and the pain is only around there, burning and niggling all the time, then goes up and down my arm when I use it. My whole upper arm is painful to use, stretch or lift anything more than light things. I said I didnt want to risk bus journeys to get there until Im vaccinated, and I have had both covid jabs since, both in my left arm where my previous dvt was, with no problem at all, no pain at all in my arm. Allergic reactions, shivers, chills then fever, numb left side of face neck lips, and tongue, and headache for weeks, yes, but my arm was ok!

As its phone calls only with Drs they still seem reluctant to allow an x ray, plus the physio told me on his second session, which was a phone call only, that you only get 2 sessions, then you have to go private, which I cannot afford. On basic ESA less rent and co tax I struggle to live on so little for all bills and expenses. Im glad its been hot and no heating required but I couldn't even afford the bus fares to the physio so its all come to an end after one video physio session. 

I wonder how long this lasts for, I don't want this to drag on, I have enough with my current health problems and preparing for my appeal against the lies of a so called health professional (office clerk I think) and although mentioned during my assessment it would apparently have to be listed as a new claim for my arm so will likely be disregarded at the appeal. 
    I would like to know how to cure this vaccine injury? I was fine til the flu jab, the nurse did it ok, but then took my BP on the same arm straight after and my BP reading was so bad she took it 5 times, with the cuff so tight and pinching me each time I ended up crying in pain and not surprisingly my BP reading was unusually high. I wonder if that did the damage to my muscle straight after the needle? I havent heard of anyone else I know having this problem before. Where do we go from here? I just want it healed! 
  • ab21
    ab21 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I would ask for a scan . If your problems are from last September that's a long time. Sirva is rare but possible whatever the jab. My dad once had problems after a flu jab.

They can also give steriod injections.  If nothing is actually torn then its mainly just physio that can help i believe.

Hope you get things sorted.

• IRMAGEDDON17
    IRMAGEDDON17 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this already but the best tip I was given by a consultant at a minor injuries unit is ice packs. He said it definitely speeds up the healing process- 20 mins, 3 times a day.  Its worth persevering with, not least because it does seem to numb the pain for a while.
    If you accidently have a bad moment and the pain has shot down your arm and into your jaw, just run to the freezer and put it on the jab area. It works quicker than painkillers.
    I use one of those plastic ice blocks you put in a picnic cool box with an old tea towel to cover if its too cold to begin. I just sit myself down in front of the tv and relax with it. 
    Cursing helps too.

• Cazza03
    Cazza03 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi all, please join this newly set up facebook page - Vaccine administration injury SIRVA support UK
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/786622478671052/

I had my Covid Vaccine on Weds 9th June, my second. The jab was administered around 5pm, I went home all was good, no side effects, went to bed, woke up next day still feeling ok. I had taken the next day, Thursday and Friday off of work just in case I reacted and was just relaxing in the garden at home. Later that day-around midday, my shoulder started to throb, and with some shooting pains down my upper arm, thought nothing of it as just thought it was a side effect of the vaccine but throughout the rest of the afternoon and into the evening, the throbbing turned into excruciating pain, and by bedtime I could lift my arm to even undress. This was not the usual feeling that you sometimes get after a vaccine - like a slightly pained dead arm, this was excruciating, made you cry pain, and lost shoulder /upper arm mobility. I went to bed in my clothes. I couldn't take off, and didn't sleep very much, next morning - Friday I told my husband I couldn't cope with the pain, I cried, and asked him to take me to our local hospital's urgent care department. He was so shocked, and knew it must be bad as he knows I'm not one for going to hosp or gp. He dropped me off and I explained to the Triage and Doctor the circumstances of how and when this problem began, i.e. after having the vaccine. I was examined, made to move my arm and shoulder making me cry from the pain and then when I suggested it was the injection that had caused it, I was looked at like I was mad! I was told it's not likely to be the vaccine that has caused it, take codeine for 5 days, and if no better then to phone my GP. I was upset, frustrated, dumfounded, and felt like the visit was a complete waste of time. I contacted my manager, explained the issue so far, he was in disbelief (not sure if he believed me either) but was great, and said don't stress and just keep him updated. Despite my pain I still tried to get in my car to see if I could drive - I could not stretch my arm to the steering wheel or attempt to move arm to gear stick for the pain. I admitted defeat, spent the whole weekend in agony but managed to get used to getting my top off one armed, and to have a one armed shower and just got through it in pain.

Monday AM I finally got through to GP Surgery, I explained my situation in full including my Urgent Care visit. The triage staff member told me there's no way having a vaccine could do that to you, but they told me to hold and they would find a GP. I finally got a call back about 6pm, and not from an actual doctor, the actual doctor just got an office / reception person to call me to tell me a vaccine injection could not have done this to me, I must have done it to myself, maybe in my sleep (despite me saying the pain started mid day)! I argued how they could deem I'd done it to myself from just a phone call and no face to face examination? I was told to phone back in a couple of days if not better, in the meantime I should fill in a self cert sick form which would cover me for 7 days of work, and after that my GP would be more than willing to issue a Fitness note? Disgusting, I felt demoralised, and deflated, why would no one listen?

I struggled through and on Tues through pure boredom scoured the wonderful world of google and came across sites mentioning SIRVA and knew straight away, this is it, this is me! I was also very saddened to discover a blog (this one) where I read stories of others like me - suffering at the hands of negligence, and where medical professionals were also not believing that their problems were caused by vaccine administration.

In desperation yesterday just to try and get some belief and empathy, my mum picked me up and took me to the hospital in the next county, where finally they listened, read the info on SIRVA that I took with me, they did stretch my arm, make me scream and cry in pain, but acknowledged it must have been caused by the Covid Jab administered.....I am now currently awaiting physio.

People need to be made accountable for this problem - I currently can't drive, do my job, I can't reach up or out with my arm or do any movement if it involves using the upper arm and shoulder, I can't even lift my bad arm to put deodorant on !!! I'm hoping for a quick recovery, but from what I've read so far I just don't know and time will tell I guess. Being unable to drive, work, and restricted in what I can do including feeding myself properly- I'm already going out of my mind!

I encourage anyone else suffering this to come forward and report their stories, and more importantly-fight for treatment, and report it to the Yellow Card Website, and my thoughts and sympathies with you all.
  • LancsRose
    LancsRose Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Quick update. I have now been on Neurontin for 2 weeks for nerve pain as the person giving the Covid injection, according to my GP, damaged the nerve at the top of my right arm. During this time the pain has not subsided, infact, I would say if anything it has got worse. Not reported to the Yellow card system yet but would like to make a complaint to my GP surgery and speak to my MP about this. This pain is constant, it is disabling and I am no longer able to do the things I was able to do before with my left arm/shoulder without discomfort and pain. Will be speaking to my GP again as he told me to go back to him after 2 weeks if the Neurontin did not ease my suffering... Will keep you guys updated. Take care and kindest regards x
  • Janren
    Janren Community member Posts: 0 Listener
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I saw a post regarding someone having a shoulder injury since receiving the covid 19 jab. I also have the same problem. I had the jab 2months ago, was perfectly fine beforehand but ever since the jab my shoulder is in constant pain when I move. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Janren :) Thanks for joining. I've moved your post over to this thread, as it seemed to be the thread you were referring to. 

I'm sorry to hear that your shoulder is in pain. As you can see from other comments in the thread, SIRVA is rare and can be caused by any vaccine that is administered incorrectly, not just the coronavirus vaccines.

Have you been to visit your GP to find out the cause of your pain? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Cazza03
    Options
    AmyS1992 said:

I just wondered if anyone had any knowledge/experience of this? Thank you. 

Hi, sorry you are going through this, me too. 
    please join this newly set up facebook page - Vaccine administration injury SIRVA support UK

• Cazza03
    Options
    Janren said:
    Hi, everyone. I saw a post regarding someone having a shoulder injury since receiving the covid 19 jab. I also have the same problem. I had the jab 2months ago, was perfectly fine beforehand but ever since the jab my shoulder is in constant pain when I move. 
    Hi, sorry you are going through this, me too. 
    please join this newly set up facebook page - Vaccine administration injury SIRVA support UK
  • Lynda62
    Lynda62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I had my first vaccine over 12 weeks ago and I have had pain in the top of my arm ever since. My doc is referring me for physio but still have another 3 weeks to wait just for a telephone appointment. The pain is getting gradually worse and my arm is feeling weak to the point I have to apply my hand break using both arms. I’m worried about getting my 2nd vaccine in case it makes things worse or if I get it in the other arm the same thing happens. Sorry so many others are suffering with the same issue. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Lynda62 and a warm welcome to our community.

I'm sorry you've experienced similar pain to the others on this thread.  Maybe the exercises suggested by @chiarieds above will help while your physiotherapy referral is being processed.

I understand your apprehension in having another vaccine (of any kind) following this experience, however just to emphasise your pain isn't a direct result of the covid-19 vaccine but, as suggested, improper administration.. and unfortunately plain bad luck  :(

To quote @Adrian_Scope
    Shoulder injury related to vaccine administration (SIRVA) is a rare complication which is the result of incorrect vaccine administration rather than a vaccine itself and it seems it can occur with any intramuscular injection. You can read a little bit more about it on this document from Salford CCG (NHS).
    I hope it brings some small comfort to know you aren't alone and please let us know how you get on.  Take care  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lynda62
    Lynda62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi @Lynda62 - I'm sorry to read you're another that has suffered with incorrect administration of the vaccine. I'm a physiotherapist, & here are the exercises Cher mentions that I've been recommending for people to try at home:
    Stand & put the foot of your unaffected side slightly forwards so you have a comfortable base. Lean forwards, letting your affected arm hang. Now swing your arm backwards & forwards within your pain-free arc. Do this gently for a couple of minutes. Next try moving your hand in a comfortable circle first one way, then the other. Gravity thus helps aid movement, & you can increase the range as you progress, always moving your shoulder within your pain-free arc. Don't push through the pain as this just increases the pain cycle. Try this a little & often throughout your day. Hope this helps. :)
  • bt198
    bt198 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hi, I’m so glad I found this post. My doctor recently confirmed that my shoulder/neck arm pain a week past second dose was a result of improper technique. The needle was too high up on my arm. (About a finger width from top of my shoulder). While I am so happy I’ve been vaccinated (and know the vaccine itself did not do this… but rather the person who administered it), I can’t help but wonder if the vaccine will have the same efficacy if not placed in the meaty deltoid. Does anyone have feedback from their doc on this? Mine said all should be fine, but I do worry. I received Pfizer for both doses.

Again, I’m super pro-vax and even though I’m in pain I’d do it again for the protection! Just wondering if anyone received feedback re:efficacy if not in the correct injection site. 

Thanks so much! 
  • MikeR
    MikeR Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options

Hi All,

I thought I would share with you my own experience after receiving my first covid vaccination over 4-months ago in my left arm. I believe this may be a result of the administration of the vaccine, not the vaccine itself.

Throughout the period, I have continued to experience pain in my upper left arm and shoulder almost 24-hours a day, quite often this is excruciating! So much so I usually collapse onto my knees and cry until the pain abates. Getting dressed can be difficult, tying my dressing gown, fastening my belt, etc.… not to mention how troublesome washing and drying myself after a shower can be given the restricted movement of my arm. Even holding a drink, typing on a keyboard for five minutes causes shooting pains in my upper arm and shoulder. You do not realise just how much you use your arm until it becomes restricted in some way. Further, during this period I have had so little sleep due to being unable to position my arm in a way to avert the pain and usually by mid-day I am feeling so exhausted, I struggle to remain focused on any task. I must admit; this is becoming incredibly stressful at times especially when the pain does not seem to ever go away. Currently, I am taking the maximum prescribed painkillers, sleeping tablets (which allow me to eventually grasp around three hours sleep) as advised by my GP and receiving physiotherapy at my local hospital. - I am male, aged 53.

Ps: My second covid vaccination went well and I had very few side effects (right arm).

• Cazza03
    Options
    Hi Mike, sorry to read your story which sadly is identical to many other including my own.  Some of us have come together and created a Facebook page to share our stores, info, and support each other.  Link is somewhere above in this thread if you would like to join us.  It's sad so many are suffering this. 
  • llahl55
    llahl55 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Hi all, just an update. Finally got to see my doctor. He said basically the injection has caught my rotary cuff and that’s why I’m feeling so much pain. He said it was definitely administered too high (I can still feel exactly where it went in 16 weeks after having it done) He offered me either physio (with 6-8 weeks waiting list) or a steroid injection so I opted for that and had it done straight away. 
    Got to rest my arm for a couple of days then get it moving as much as I can without over doing it.
     I hope it helps as I can’t bare the constant pain anymore x
  • lisad75
    lisad75 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Congrats on having a GP willing to say the injection technique is what's behind all the pain!  It still baffles me why the injections are administered so high in the upper arm ? I hope the steroid injection works for you ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.