Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)? - Page 14 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have any experience with Shoulder Injury Relating to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @lisad75 & llahl55 & all - just to add to the videos lisad gave a link to, may I add another simple exercise. By way of explanation I'm a (long retired) physio. This is an exercise I found effective in patients with a frozen shoulder, i.e. with limited movement & pain. I also used it following damage to my own shoulder, & when twice I had a partially frozen shoulder.
    Try this as a first gentle exercise. Stand & put the foot of your unaffected side slightly forwards so you have a comfortable base. Lean forwards, letting your affected arm hang. Now swing your arm backwards & forwards within your pain-free arc. Do this gently for a couple of minutes. Next try moving your hand in a comfortable circle first one way, then the other. Gravity thus helps aid movement, & you can increase the range as you progress, always moving your shoulder within your pain-free arc. Don't push through the pain as this just increases the pain cycle. Try this a little & often throughout your day. Hope this may help you all improve that bit faster.
    @chiarieds,
    I do the exercises that you have described when I get flares in my shoulders (which I often do), they are really helpful and don’t cause any pain. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,114 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Karen7788 - really pleased these exercises help, &, as you say, they don't cause any pain.
  • JanCat
    JanCat Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options

Only just been made aware of SIRVA (August 2022), 9 months after Pfizer BioNTech booster (November 2021).  I have received a diagnosis of subacromial-subdeltoid bursitis following a private ultra sound scan.  Annoyed with myself for not seeking help sooner. 
    It was one of the GPs at the local surgery who administered the booster, I did think at the time the injection site was too high and too far back (as I could not see it without looking at it in the mirror) compared to the two A-Z vaccines I had received previously.  Pain in arm within 24 hours of booster administration, accompanied with a red and inflamed injection site, but these were listed side effects to expect following the booster.  Pain in arm continued and continues and after 2 months pain and gradual loss of movement in shoulder ensued.
    As others on this site, cry out with pain at times.  Cannot get more than 3 hours sleep in one go without being woken by excruciating pain.  Have just had a steroid injection so hoping for some improvement over the next few weeks.  TENS machine used for pain relief, really just distraction therapy, as oral painkillers do not kill the pain and give me acid reflux, expecially NSAIDs.

• jools43
    jools43 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I had the same diagnosis from my pain after my first Covid jab  but it was never ever acknowledged that it was caused by the wrong administration of the injection - I’m extremely angry about that! To give you a bit of hope my symptoms started to disappear about 12 months down the line (I will never have an injection in my arm again) and now 18 months later I have no discomfort. I hope you too find it recovers in time. 
  • HelloEadesie
    HelloEadesie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Same for me, my sore arm never recovered and then I ended up in agony. 12 months later , after paying privately etc I have 95% movement and I am virtually pain free. Several months of suffering and no more injections in my arms. 
  • Roomonbroom
    Roomonbroom Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I too have suffered with this condition from the vaccine , as I have previously written about on this site . Does anyone know if we are able to claim compensenation from the government for this ? 
  • JanCat
    Options
    Many thanks everyone for the information and hope.

• AnnClaydon31
    AnnClaydon31 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    McShelbo said:
    Interesting to see we're not alone with SIRVA. 
    I attended my Booster Jab appointment just before Christmas '21 to be offered on the spot a free Flu Jab which they were offering at the same time.  Had the COVID Booster in my left arm and the Flu jab in my right arm.  Naturally, both shoulders were tender for a couple of days, however, the shoulder where the Flu jab was administered progressively got stiffer, very sore, felt very heavy and the range of movement got less and less as the weeks went on.  Sleep was a major problem (I am usually a really heavy sleeper) and I was waking up several times per night in pain. For about 2-3 months, I just tried to ignore it and rubbed Ibuprofen Gel around the painful area. 
    Eventually, I did some internet research and all the SIRVA 'symptoms/circumstances' matched exactly what I was experiencing. In hindsight, the injection was administered crazily quickly by a St Johns volunteer and probably explains how the Deltoid muscle was missed/partially missed.
    I finally gave up suffering in June after 6 months of progressively worse pain and went to see my GP for a diagnosis and referral letter (private medical cover) if any treatment was deemed necessary.  After examining me, the GP got quite defensive when I (quite politely) asked if there was any chance of Vaccine damage. The question remained unanswered and I was given a referral letter to go see a private physiotherapist to get the movement back in my shoulder and promptly encouraged out of the practice sharpish.
    Anyway - roll forward two more months and I'm just about to undertake the last of 10 physiotherapy appointments. The range of motion has massively improved and the constant pain has diminished. I can still feel shoulder stiffness and still have reduced mobility in the shoulder.  
    Interestingly the Physio said she had heard from contacts in her industry they are seeing more and more instances of SIRVA through the COVID Years of badly administered vaccines. She was 100% confident in diagnosing me with SIRVA given that the timings and symptoms were impossible to put down to chance.  Nothing else in my lifestyle changed to have led to the injury. 
    Hopefully with the Physiotherapy sessions and ongoing exercises, I'll be back to my usual self in time.
    Wishing everyone else the best of luck and happy to share my story if it helps others.
    M

• AnnClaydon31
    Options
    Hi , I’m new to this site and had my flu jab 4 weeks ago . I believe I have SIRVA and have been researching . My arm aches and I have difficulty sleeping on that side and lifting . I know it’s an injury through administering the flu jab as my shoulder was previously fine . I also had a shoulder injury in 2019 in my other shoulder relating to swimming which took a year to heal . This is certainly not as bad as that . I am waiting to see a doctor to ask for MRI and ultra sound to establish damage . I just wondered who one should report this type of incident to . I understand it’s rare and not caused by the vaccine just the administering of the needle in the wrong place . Interesting to note other people have suffered this  . 
  • Bluemoon05
    Bluemoon05 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I've suffered with left shoulder problems since my 2nd vaccine, put it down to 'me' getting old !!!

Suffered from lack of strength (not a problem pre injections) and reduced mobility.

Visited Doctors and NHS Physio, who put it down to 'Frozen Shoulder', linked to my Type 2 Diabetes !!

Not convinced this is the  case to be honest and no convinced more than ever the problem is associated with either the vaccine or the administration of it !

Interested to know what others have done, as cannot hold anything raised (Phone) at shoulder height for longer than 20 seconds !!
  • JanCat
    Options
    I am still suffering from SIRVA, it is now 16 months since the COVID-19 Booster jab was incorrectly administered. 
    The initial diagnosis of subacromial-subdeltoid bursitis (for which I had a steroid injection) sadly morphed into a frozen shoulder (for which I had another steroid injection). 
    The intensity of the pain has reduced and I have quite a bit of movement back, I still have nerve pain in my left arm.
    I am also unable to told anything in my left hand with supporting my lower arm. 
    I have purchased a hands free book stand so that I can at least read in comfort. 
    I experience pain and stiffness in my upper arm when raising it to shoulder height, which is stubbornly not going away. 
    I am having physiotherapy and the physiotherapist indicated that in most cases a frozen shoulder has to take is course anything from 1 year to 18 months, and even with physiotherapy they cannot "get me there any quicker", but can help with exercises to increase shoulder mobility. 
    As my shoulder did not become fully 'frozen' until Summer 2022, I may still have a bit of time to go before things resolve.
    I have had an X-Ray which ruled out arthritis, something the physiotherapist was concerned as I have plateaued in terms of increased mobility over the last three months.
    I have arranged for a private MRI scan of my upper arm for my own peace of mind, but I am fully expecting the scan not to show anything untoward.
    In my attempts to make things better, I have aggravated things.  The physiotherapist has explained that my expectations were too optimistic, and so I am now resigned to the waiting game. 
     :(  
  • AnnClaydon31
    Options
    I can only comment on my situation . I had rotator cuff damage in my left  shoulder 2/3 years ago from swimming  . With physio and a steroid it took a year to go . 
    Last year following a flu jab in right shoulder and covid in left , my right shoulder 48 hrs later felt exactly as I had RC damage again . Got steadily worse but helped with naproxen. I had an mri on my shoulder probably 6 months later and it has steadily got better . I’m not sure if it was SIRVA I think it was but may have been also carrying my grandson around and the flu jab didn’t help. 
    I do believe this takes a long time to heal . Both my shoulders are not great now . Hopefully yours will get better with time and exercises . I’m 67 yes old so recovery I think takes a lot longer at my age .😂 
  • skye68
    skye68 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    AmyS1992 said:

Note from moderator: this post and the related comments may contain unverified claims regarding side-effects of COVID-19 vaccines. You can find recognised side-effects of the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines on the respective gov.uk pages linked.

I've had shoulder pain and limited mobility now since my covid vaccine (10 weeks ago) and recently spoke to my GP who advised it is wholly coincidental and not as a result of the vaccine. The issue for me is that I had zero issues or pain prior to the injection but have been in pain ever since which hasn't improved or subsided as it would with a muscular injury. I am aware that incorrect injection technique can cause this issue and that it can happen with any intramuscular injection. I do have a physio referral so hopefully they can shed more light. I just wondered if anyone had any knowledge/experience of this? Thank you. 
    Hi there yes I've had the same problem after the last covid vaccine injection being administratord wrong in my left arm I've been in Excruciating pain for 10 months and had to give up my job I don't sleep well at night I wake up every 15 to 30 minutes in Excruciating pain I've been to the hospital and doctors several times this year and finally going to get physio 
    I also got a negligence solicitor involved as it was clearly negligence and definitely want compensating for the worse year of my life it only started after the 3rd covid injection 3 months after the injection I had severe pins and needles in my left hand and a round lump the size of a golf ball in my arm from there it's got worse I can't hardly move my arm I can't put my hair up I can't wear a bra unless my husband helps me I can't take my top off its very hard with normal everyday tasks 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.