Announcement: the community's new look — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Announcement: the community's new look

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,076

Scope community team

edited October 14 in Community updates
Hello everyone,

Next week we'll be making a long-awaited change to how the online community looks. This re-themed appearance is being introduced to improve the speed, accessibility, and overall function of the community.

We understand it might take a while to get used to the community's new appearance, so we're going to be posting a couple of screenshots of the re-theme, ahead of the change.

Today I'm going to highlight the online community's new home page:

Accessibility note: unfortunately we can only share screenshots at this time, but we will be launching the re-themed appearance next week, so everyone will get to play around soon enough.

A screenshot of the re-themed online community homepage

Navigation bar:

The community's main navigation bar (the purple bar along the top) is now a lot less cluttered and will include:
Categories: this menu item links directly to the community's main category view.
Discussions: this menu item links directly to a page displaying recent discussions from across the community.
A magnifying glass icon: this icon expands into a search bar so you can search across the community.
Sign in: this menu items links directly to the community's sign in page.
Register: this menu item links directly to the community's registration page.

Note:
upon launch, the community's 'Night mode' toggle button will be moved to the navigation bar. This will allow users to switch 'Night mode' on and off.

Main homepage:

As you scroll down past the navigation bar, you'll note things have changed quite a lot and the main community homepage now includes:

Hero image: this large image sits at the top of the page.
Landscape pocket image: a landscape image sits below the main hero image, you'll likely see this used to link to Scope campaigns or community content.
Sidebar menu: we've updated our sidebar menu to include links to the community's main category view, recent discussions, and popular tags among other things.
Featured categories: we now have the option to feature specific categories and so from time to time, you may see a number of categories featured at the top of the page. Note: these will not be visible at launch.
Category menu: we have moved to a tile-based category view, so categories such as Community updates and Disability issues will be displayed side-by-side, making it quicker to scroll through all of our categories.

Please note:

1. As well as making this big change to the community's design, we will be gradually changing other parts of how the community looks and feels over the next few months. While none of the changes we make will be as big as the launch of the re-theme next week, each change will hopefully make an improvement to how we all use the community. This also means that we can be flexible and can make changes as and when they're required, so if something isn't working we will be able to address that issue quite quickly.

2. The names and descriptions of certain categories such as 'What am I entitled to?' are also subject to change and will be adjusted in the weeks ahead.

Let us know below if you have any thoughts on the new community homepage or the navigation menu.
Community Manager
Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,516 Disability Gamechanger
    Overall it looks more modern & streamlined, & I definitely like the tile-based category view; much better.
    I'm sure you know I'm going to ask this, but will there be a link back to the main site? Perhaps I'm the only one that uses it, but I personally find it very helpful in assisting new members to be aware of Scope's 'Online advice & support' & 'Support services.'
    On a minor note, will this 'Home' page & everything else appear the same whether using a desktop/laptop computer or a phone? I didn't realise for quite some time that currently some things appear in a different place on a phone. Also, has the 'Activity' button completely disappeared? Sometimes members get a bit lost off & post on the Activity wall, which on occasion has been useful to know, so I'm used to checking here 'just in case.'
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,923 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it is perfect :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,969 Pioneering
    Its looking good
  • Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

chiarieds said:
    Overall it looks more modern & streamlined, & I definitely like the tile-based category view; much better.
    I'm sure you know I'm going to ask this, but will there be a link back to the main site? Perhaps I'm the only one that uses it, but I personally find it very helpful in assisting new members to be aware of Scope's 'Online advice & support' & 'Support services.'
    On a minor note, will this 'Home' page & everything else appear the same whether using a desktop/laptop computer or a phone? I didn't realise for quite some time that currently some things appear in a different place on a phone. Also, has the 'Activity' button completely disappeared? Sometimes members get a bit lost off & post on the Activity wall, which on occasion has been useful to know, so I'm used to checking here 'just in case.'
    Links back to community:
    We'll be including a link back to the Scope website in the page footer. You'll be able to access the Scope website by clicking a big yellow button that reads 'Visit the Scope website'.

Mobile version:
    A mobile version of the community will look quite different to the desktop version of the site. Like the desktop site, the mobile version has been designed with functionality and user experience in mind, but any mobile design is limited by considerations such as screen size, so button or icon placement unfortunately has to differ. I will share screenshots of this as soon as our developer has finished polishing everything.

Activity feed:
    The general community activity feed has been completely removed for now. As you mention, members would get a bit 'lost' and it was decided that the activity feed was a bit of a user experience 'trap'. You can still share activity updates through your user profile, but these updates will only be visible on your user profile's individual wall. We'll keep an eye on how this is used and review its success in the months following launch.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

edited October 14
    Good morning everyone,

We're still planning to release this community re-theme this week, so I wanted to post some screenshots of the upcoming changes to the community's mobile view.

Signed out mobile view:

A screenshot of the community mobile view in signed out state.

This view is significantly streamlined. If you look at the purple navigation bar, you will note (from right to left):

An icon of an arrow entering a doorway: this is our sign-in icon and pressing it will take you directly to the community's sign-in page.

An icon of a magnifying glass: this our community search icon and pressing it will pop out the community's search bar.

An online community logo: this is our community logo and wherever you are on the site, pressing it will take you directly back to the homepage.

An icon of 3 horizontal lines: this is our navigation menu icon and pressing it will pop open will pop open the community's mobile navigation menu, as below:

Mobile navigation menu:

A screenshot of the mobile navigation menu in signed out state.

This menu contains:

Sign in: this menu items links directly to the community's sign in page.
    Register: this menu item links directly to the community's registration page.
    Categories: this menu item links directly to the community's main category view.
    Discussions: this menu item links directly to a page displaying recent discussions from across the community.
    Create new discussion: this menu item will open up a new discussion page where you can create a new discussion. 
    An X icon: this closes the navigation menu.

Mobile tile view:

A screenshot of the community mobile tile view in signed out state.

Once on the community home page, if you scroll down, you will see the category tile icons. Pressing any of these will take you directly to the relevant category.
    Community Manager
    Scope

• Globster
    Globster Community Co-Production Group Posts: 844 Pioneering
    @Adrian_Scope
    The upgrade to Scope online Community is looking fantastic and simple easy to use.
    I really can't wait to start using it 
    Overall great job done 
  • Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

Signed in mobile view

A screenshot of the communitys signed in mobile view

This view is significantly streamlined. If you look at the purple navigation bar, you will note (from right to left):

An icon depicting your profile picture: this is our profile icon and pressing it will pop open the mobile profile menu.

An icon of a magnifying glass: this our community search icon and pressing it will pop out the community's search bar.

An online community logo: this is our community logo and wherever you are on the site, pressing it will take you directly back to the homepage.

An icon of 3 horizontal lines: this is our navigation menu icon and pressing it will pop open will pop open the community's mobile navigation menu, mentioned in an earlier post.

Mobile profile menu

A screenshot of the communitys signed in mobile profile menu
    This menu contains:

Profile icon: clicking this takes you to the profile tab.
    Notification bell icon: clicking this takes you to the notifications tab.
    Messages icon: clicking this takes you to your message tab.

Profile tab:

This tab contains:
    Your profile image: this menu item links directly to your community profile page.
    Edit Profile: this menu item links directly to your Edit Profile page.
    Bookmarks: this menu item links directly to your Bookmarks page.
    Drafts: this menu item links directly to your Drafts page.
    My discussions: this menu item links directly to your My discussions page.
    Sign Out: this menu item will sign you out of the online community.
    Community Manager
    Scope

• ellieflower3
    ellieflower3 Member Posts: 173 Courageous
    Hello everyone,

Next week we'll be making a long-awaited change to how the online community looks. This re-themed appearance is being introduced to improve the speed, accessibility, and overall function of the community.

We understand it might take a while to get used to the community's new appearance, so we're going to be posting a couple of screenshots of the re-theme, ahead of the change.

Today I'm going to highlight the online community's new home page:

Accessibility note: unfortunately we can only share screenshots at this time, but we will be launching the re-themed appearance next week, so everyone will get to play around soon enough.

A screenshot of the re-themed online community homepage

Navigation bar:

The community's main navigation bar (the purple bar along the top) is now a lot less cluttered and will include:
    Categories: this menu item links directly to the community's main category view.
    Discussions: this menu item links directly to a page displaying recent discussions from across the community.
    A magnifying glass icon: this icon expands into a search bar so you can search across the community.
    Sign in: this menu items links directly to the community's sign in page.
    Register: this menu item links directly to the community's registration page.

Note:
    upon launch, the community's 'Night mode' toggle button will be moved to the navigation bar. This will allow users to switch 'Night mode' on and off.

Main homepage:

As you scroll down past the navigation bar, you'll note things have changed quite a lot and the main community homepage now includes:

Hero image: this large image sits at the top of the page.
    Landscape pocket image: a landscape image sits below the main hero image, you'll likely see this used to link to Scope campaigns or community content.
    Sidebar menu: we've updated our sidebar menu to include links to the community's main category view, recent discussions, and popular tags among other things.
    Featured categories: we now have the option to feature specific categories and so from time to time, you may see a number of categories featured at the top of the page. Note: these will not be visible at launch.
    Category menu: we have moved to a tile-based category view, so categories such as Community updates and Disability issues will be displayed side-by-side, making it quicker to scroll through all of our categories.

Please note:

1. As well as making this big change to the community's design, we will be gradually changing other parts of how the community looks and feels over the next few months. While none of the changes we make will be as big as the launch of the re-theme next week, each change will hopefully make an improvement to how we all use the community. This also means that we can be flexible and can make changes as and when they're required, so if something isn't working we will be able to address that issue quite quickly.

2. The names and descriptions of certain categories such as 'What am I entitled to?' are also subject to change and will be adjusted in the weeks ahead.

Let us know below if you have any thoughts on the new community homepage or the navigation menu.
    it freaked me out first of all. but I love it :) keep me updated. hope whoever reads this is having a fab or all right day
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Before when you looked at your profile it showed badges of how you were doing where has that gone. Not when I click on my icon.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Teddybear12 - When you click on your avatar, you will see 'View profile,' click on that to see your badges. Or you can just click on your avatar right at the top of every page (top right).
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 5,996

Scope community team

Hi @Teddybear12 :) You should still be able to see your badges on the right hand side of the screen when you visit your profile page. 

Are you using desktop or mobile?

screenshot of badges on right hand side of the screen
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Teddybear12
    Hi @Tori_Scope Thank you found it. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,272 Disability Gamechanger
    It's an improvement that you can see who last commented on a thread, but now you can't see who started the thread?
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Member Posts: 548 Pioneering
              Sorry, not keen on the new layout at all
  • chiarieds
    Hi @woodbine - you can see who has started a thread by hovering over their avatar/profile picture.
  • Teddybear12
    edited October 14
    I have found my own profile and badges where is the Activity where you could see a league chart. Not a fan of this new setup. I found the old way easier to use. 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Teddybear12 - I commented about the Activity 'button,' for want of a better word, above. Perhaps I should have said, 'link.' Adrian commented,
    'The general community activity feed has been completely removed for now. As you mention, members would get a bit 'lost' and it was decided that the activity feed was a bit of a user experience 'trap'. You can still share activity updates through your user profile, but these updates will only be visible on your user profile's individual wall. We'll keep an eye on how this is used and review its success in the months following launch.'
    As with everything about this new theme, it does look that it will continue to be reviewed. I suppose that as this is so new to us all, that several of us are finding it awkward, myself included. Personally, & which surprised me, I'm finding it all too bright (I'm very sensitive to too much light, & keep switching to 'Dark mode,' but neither feel completely comfortable), so can't keep reading here as much as usual. I do wonder what some on the Autistic spectrum may feel about this new look, as they can suffer sensory overload.

• Teddybear12
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,454 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 14
    Like the dark mode option. Like seeing how many online.  Can’t comment too much on the rest as it’s all new so I prefer to use for a while and then comment. However, absolutely not a fan of the top image with text or a search box across it. A basic accessibility fail. Text and images should be clearly separated.

Rather irritated by being unable to have an obvious way to show my replies rather than just discussions I’ve started. Apparently I’ve started 168 rather than the 8 I have actually started. 
  • Cress
    Cress Member Posts: 927 Pioneering
    It's too white and bright...prefer the old one...sorry, I'm sure I'll adapt.
  • mikehughescq
    Cress said:
    It's too white and bright...prefer the old one...sorry, I'm sure I'll adapt.
    So try dark mode.
  • Cress
    Was about to ask how then saw the button...yes dark mode is better, but I still prefer the old one.
  • mikehughescq
    Like the dark mode option. Like seeing how many online.  Can’t comment too much on the rest as it’s all new so I prefer to use for a while and then comment. However, absolutely not a fan of the top image with text or a search box across it. A basic accessibility fail. Text and images should be clearly separated.

Rather irritated by being unable to have an obvious way to show my replies rather than just discussions I’ve started. Apparently I’ve started 168 rather than the 8 I have actually started. 
    And mark as read does not appear to be working consistently.
  • mikehughescq
    So just to confirm. 

Mark all as read works on Safari for iPad. It does not work for DuckDuckGo. That effectively renders the forum unusable for me so I will be largely bowing out until that’s fixed. 
  • lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Posts: 4,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hard to get used to can't find private message either 
  • lisathomas50
    lisathomas50 Posts: 4,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Very complicated  can't find private messaging 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 4,933

Scope community team

Very complicated  can't find private messaging 
    On a laptop, if you go to the top right of your screen there'll be a menu bar with four buttons, the third one from the left is for messages. Let us know if you still can't find it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • Cress
    It should be made easier to see who started a thread.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 1,798 Pioneering
    Two things I like are - 

1. Ability to see who’s online, this is important in terms of the community coordinators because you know who to get in touch with if you need to speak and can message direct. 

2. The fact you can go to someone’s profile and PM them direct. Previously, I had issues initiating a PM and could only reply to them. 
  • mikehughescq
    edited October 15
    Lack of the ability to mark a whole page of threads as read is a major fail for me along with the removal of the ability to go quickly to my replies. The only way to mark a thread as read is to read it. Not going to happen. Life is to short.

Search is much improved but that’s totally offset by the “mark as read” issue. 

Also just realised that dark mode has not been implemented across the site. That makes the site untenable for lots of impairments as it’s a dramatic switch from dark mode back to light. 

The black box I referred to earlier when you expand the edit box turns out to be black text on a black background i.e. it’s not coded for dark mode. That, to be blunt, is just not competent.

The three dots which enable editing of a post are unreliable too. Sometimes they render properly and sometimes they don’t. 

Have also discovered that amendments to your profile settings don’t stick. Have tried to stop my profile being private. It simply won’t let me. I think the simple issue is that shirt it’s have been taken and the site has been coded for a small number of major browsers and nothing else. 

Apologies but you will be seeing much much less of me until these things are fixed as they make the site close to unusable.
  • chiarieds
    edited October 17
    I'm with Mike about the dark mode not being as easy as it should have hopefully been, as the change to bright light is most uncomfortable, which I've already mentioned, as has another (& I don't have visual problems other than being sensitive to light). In dark mode, some of the dark purple writing is very difficult to read. I also agree to amendments to your profile not working; mine's set now to not show my email address, tho it looks like it's still showing (I also use DuckDuckGo).
    The three dots to edit a post partially obscure any text written, & it's not obvious (unless a prior member) that that's where you'd look for it.
    On a minor note, the word 'Bookmark' is missing the 'k' at the end.
  • Adrian_Scope

Scope community team

Just to confirm I am feeding all of this back to the relevant teams. 
    Could I ask, with regards to dark mode not being implemented across the site, if there are specific areas you find where this is the case it would be really helpful if you could let us know which ones these are.

@chiarieds, I've double checked and your email address isn't publicly visible. They're set to be hidden across the site as default but you are able to see your own on your account. 

Do you happen to have a screenshot of where the 'k' is missing at the end of 'Bookmark' as I've not been able to find this. 

Thanks all for the feedback and please do keep it coming. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

• mikehughescq
    @Adrian_Scope as regards dark mode I’m talking about any click from the forums to the main site. The main site does not default to dark mode at all and the leap is stark and overwhelming. 
  • Cress
    I can't find the dates on posts.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Adrian_Scope - thank you for checking my email address, & pleased that it's OK. I find using the dark mode exactly the same problem as Mike describes. I attach a screenshot. On every instance of seeing the word 'Bookmark' it's the same as here.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Adrian_Scope - I don't know if this shows the 'Bookmark' problem better. The words are small, so perhaps hard to see. Also in dark mode if you 'Preview' your reply, which I often do to check any hyperlinks are working, then the text box changes to white, with black text, as if you are in the ordinary mode.

• calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 2,997 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 18
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Adrian_Scope - thank you for checking my email address, & pleased that it's OK. I find using the dark mode exactly the same problem as Mike describes. I attach a screenshot. On every instance of seeing the word 'Bookmark' it's the same as here.
    I think that's actually caused by the three dots for editing hiding the k rather than the k actually being missing.
    As others have commented the purpose of the three dots is not obvious to anybody who doesn't know.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    That sounds like your idea is correct calcotti. Also, if you've typed a reply that goes to where the 3 dots are, they're then somewhat obscured by the text that has just been written.
  • Cress
    ...and I can't tell which is a shiny new thread or simply one where there have been no new posts.
  • mikehughescq
    I can’t recreate the Bookmark issue on my iPad Pro using DuckDuckGo. Any chance you’re using iOS accessibility settings on top? 
  • chiarieds
    I'm not using any iOS accessibility settings. As calcotti says, it's likely the 3 dots to edit a post may be hiding the final k in Bookmark. That's a very minor issue, tho text, if the post is long enough, being somewhat obscured, or superimposed by the 3 dots (not sure which, for me at least) may make the 3 edit 'dots' less easily seen. If I hadn't known where to look, I wouldn't have known I could edit posts.
    Hoping this at least will work for you; I found using the back button with my mouse, say to get back to 'Recent discussions,' meant no blinding flash of light when in 'Dark mode,' & is noticeably quicker.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.