Hi, I'm joelincs! Challenging local authority about inaccessible toilet door. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm joelincs! Challenging local authority about inaccessible toilet door.

Options
joelincs
joelincs Community member Posts: 13 Listener
I read the post by an ME impaired person about their difficulty opening heavy doors which I fully understand. At present I am challenging my local authority who have fitted, and refuses to remove a powerful hydraulic self closer to their public disabled toilet rendering in inaccessible to me as I am a wheelchair user with only one useable arm.

It’s impossible for me to hold the door open and drive my chair at the same time.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,176 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @joelincs that sounds a night mare for you. Let's hope they listen and look at the situation again
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hey @joelincs. A warm welcome to Scope's community from me. 

It sounds like you are having a really difficult time at the moment with some accessibility barriers. I have noted this is something you are currently challenging your local authority about.

Can I ask how you are currently managing all of this? I just want to make sure we support you the best we can and you don't have to go through this alone if you don't want to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @joelincs and a warm welcome to our online community, how are you doing?

I'm glad you found us when looking into this topic. It must be extremely frustrating to have such a barrier to using public conveniences. It's hard to comprehend the logic behind some facilities, and I admire you challenging this with your local authority for not only the benefit of yourself, but the wider public too. How is this going so far? 

Just to let you know, I've moved your thread to our 'Exercise and accessible facilities' category and tweaked the title to help others spot it more freely.

Wishing you the very best for a successful outcome.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • joelincs
    edited March 2023
    Options
    So far I’ve started an action in the small claims court ( an unwanted expense). T
    my council were cocky enough to turn up at the first directions hearing without legal representation.
    the day before the hearing they woke up and postponed the hearing to consult a professional legal representative and the hearing was put back  approximately 5 months  until June so I’m still left on tenderhooks.

What would assist me is locating information or any evidence of any or other disabilities that are disadvantaged by difficult to open doors. An idiot amateur  access auditor ( disabled by diabetes) wrote that the powerful automated door closer would benefit some disabled people to access the accessible lavatory, which is ludicrous. And they wrote is as experts on disability for the people that I’m challenging. AND they used the M regs to legitimise the door spring tension when the M regs don’t apply and even if they did and alternate should be found and used.     

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    This does sound really frustrating @joelincs. Hopefully, other people who have been disadvantaged by difficult to open doors will be able to respond to you soon. 

This would enable you to locate information/evidence of other disabilities that are disadvantaged by difficult to open doors. 

In the meantime, I have a friend in a wheelchair (due to multiple chronic health conditions) who is disadvantaged by difficult to open doors so I can only empathise with you.

Have you asked them about the disabilities they were referring to within their auditing and/or challenge them on their reasonable adjustments as outlined in the Equality Act?

We are all here for you and listening to you. You don't have to experience this alone if you don't want to  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • POGGYFLOSS
    POGGYFLOSS Scope Member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Options
    Any one withmsk conditions, frail elderly anyone reliant on wheeled walking aids-Me- inflamatory and condition. In fact I cannot think of anyone it would  benefit!
  • joelincs
    Options
    The scaffold company was not employed by the council which is what confuses me. I’m hoping someone will tell me what I missed. I have searched the equality act and I can’t find anything.
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Seems too easy to blame yourself @joelincs and what you may or may not have missed. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to help  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.