Fluoxetine v Duloxetine for Fibro' — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fluoxetine v Duloxetine for Fibro'

Options
WelshBlue
WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
As per the forum rules, I'm not looking for medical advice ... just wondering if anyone uses Fluoxetine successfully for Fibromyalgia.

I'm currently on the maximum dose of Duloxetine (120mg) and getting no benefit from it.  Physically or Mentally.  My body seems to have built up a tolerance after more years than I can remember on it, and my Psychiatrist is happy for me to make the switch

I am too if only to try and have some pain free days, as I've lost almost 3 months this year to just existing due to the pain.  

Has Fluoxetine worked for any fellow Fibro' sufferers ?
Also at the max dosage of Carbamazepine 

TIA

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not tried these @WelshBlue, so I couldn't comment I am afraid. I have only tried the usual pain relief and tramadol for fibromyalgia. Do you think you might make the switch?  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    Hi @L_Volunteer ... I've never taken Tramadol or any other opiate based as my doctor won't prescribe them due to my history of abuse.  Shot myself in the foot there  :p lol

I'm seeing a GP on May the 12th and I will make the switch. 
    I think I've plateaued on the Duloxetine so will try anything to have some quality of life
    I'll also discuss giving Gabapentin or Pregabalin (gave them up cos of a massive personality change.  I was horrible) another try, again I'm not sure how effective the Carbamazepine is being now.  A 3 month flare up is too long and I'll try anything.

All good fun ... 

Hope you're keeping well 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,664 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes I’ve been in fluoxetine but unfortunately it didn’t work for me at all. You mention hoping for some pain free days but if you’re anything like me then you’ll be very unlikely to have any. 

I’ve tried so many different medications over the past decade but very few worked. 

Medication for fibro is very unlikely to give any pain free days based on my experience. I’ve also tried Tramadol and was on maximum dose for many years. I then stopped that and changed to morphine but I still don’t ever have any pain free days. 

I also take Amitriptyline at night now which works wonders for my sleep. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    Hi Poppy, thanks for the input.

I know pain free days are shooting for the stars with the nature of the Fibro' beast, I'm looking to have a bit of quality of life.  To achieve something from a day.  I actually sobbed my heart out the other day, not so much from the pain but from feeling so worthless.  All over not being able to tie my own laces

I'll wait and see what the fresh perspective of a different GP says, whether any combos can be tweaked etc.

Thanks again, food for thought is always good
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Quality of life is super important @WelshBlue but, certainly, an adventure trying to reach that. Sorry to hear you have been struggling with feeling so worthless.

Would you like to talk to us more about this? For what it's worth, we certainly don't think you are worthless and we really care about you.

Please feel free to keep us in the loop with how it goes, especially having a fresh perspective of a different GP. We are all here for you  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • WelshBlue
    Options
    @L_Volunteer ... thanks.  My pity parties don't last long.  Only as long as I let them  ;)

It's remembering to not compare the me now, with the ultra effecient/ productive me then

The flare up is slowly abating, last week it was 99% ... today 49% and as all chronic pain sufferers know, it can grind you down to where reasoning goes out the window.  

Thanks for the kind words

Take care
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Very true - only as long as you let them @WelshBlue :p glad to hear you are slowly starting to feel better  <3

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.