Hi, my name is waylaway! Currently waiting to find out if I'm Autistic — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is waylaway! Currently waiting to find out if I'm Autistic

Options
waylaway
waylaway Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2023 in Autism and neurodiversity
I have a question and don't know where to get answers so any help will be appreciated :) 

I am currently a student, I am dyslexic anyway and I'm finding it really hard to find work due to what I thought was extreme depression and anxiety. I hate any social new situation. And To cut a long story short my doctors have now stated I could be autistic, which is fine as deep down I knew I have been different, and am currently waiting to find out but I have been waiting for 6 months already, and my parents just moved to Australia, I'm finding everything overwhelming, especially my finances. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @waylaway

Welcome to the community! :) 

Have you thought about reaching out to Citizen's Advice? They'd be able to help you with finances and anything else you may be finding difficult. As well as point you in the right direction to local support.

I hope your wait isn't much longer! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,602 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The waiting lists for ASD assessments can be as longer as between 2-3 years, potentially longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hey @waylaway. Thank you for reaching out to us – I appreciate how much courage it can take to reach out when you are finding things difficult and are new to the forum. It sounds like everything is really overwhelming for you at the moment, especially your finances. Are you currently receiving any support from the place you are a student?

They should have disability facilities to support you with your dyslexia, mental health (depression and anxiety) and potentially autism. Sometimes, it is possible to put strategies in place based on what you experience difficulties with, without a diagnosis. After all, a diagnosis is a name for what you are already experiencing.

How are you coping with your parents' move to Australia – are you able to talk to them regularly? Is there a particular aspect of your finances you are finding overwhelming at the moment – for example, is it because you are unable to find work and are not feeling you have enough money? We are here for you if there is anything we can do to support you. You don’t have to face this alone if you don’t want to.

As you have mentioned you are struggling with "finding" work, rather than the idea of working itself, you might also find it useful to reach out to Scope's Employment support Services. Similarly, you might find it useful to use search engines such as Indeed and to reach out to your education setting's careers team if they have one (most do!).

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.