Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Potential new home is not very small, it's VERY VERY small

Options
Lottie1732
Lottie1732 Community member Posts: 125 Pioneering
I'm not supposed to but I went and had a "drive by". Took some pictures. I knew it'd be small. But, this is incredibly small and I wonder that it's offered as accommodation at all. (never mind the relatively large rental cost). Nothing will fit. Not my bed or my sofa. No table. (I need a table for my PC and it has to be a desktop). No room for storage (chest of drawers, for example). A single armchair perhaps that will be only a few inches away from the TV table. 

Beggars can't be choosers (and I am one) and it's basically a "free" home but when I left, I walked home in desperate tears. I know it might be OK. I'm sure it will. I knew I'd have to get rid of most of my stuff but it seems I'm going to have to give everything away. The rent, in my opinion is about double what it ought to be. (Yes, I know I'll probably have it paid for me unless my self employed earnings increase, but I still thing they're taking the you know what). 

The downside with this property was that it didn't have an enclosed garden and I could get around that and accept it. but now it seems that this is the least of my worries. 

I'm so scared that I'm about to make (another) huge mistake, even though I don't really have any choice and have to accept the best of a bad lot. 

If I refuse it, I'll run out of money in about 2-3 months, maybe sooner and then I will be really homeless and have judgements and eviction stuff, probably. 

Thanks for reading. I know it might not be as grim as above and to be honest, I'm thinking out loud here. Just that those hot, desperate tears were real.

Lottie x

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    You have already hit on the answer, and congratulations to you for seeing the way round is to see the best you can in it, and start thinking of the work arounds.  You have even started doing just that, with having a furtive drive-by, and also with figuring how you will deal with the no-garden. That shows you are resilient and will manage somehow.

Think of fold-down and multi-purpose, and consider how caravans or camper vans are packed with everything in a tiny space. People live in caravans, cars, tents, cupboards under stairs, as one of six sharing a single room. The population is rising relentlessly. Millions are street homeless, but many millions more than that are 'hidden homeless' and officially non-existent, because they have been forced to live where they have no rental agreement, and can be on the pavement at any minute if the 'official' occupant chooses.
  • Lottie1732
    Options
    @newborn Wow! Thank you so very much. Your thoughts are very insightful and I can't begin to explain how helpful this is to me. I'm going to print this out and stick it on my fridge (the fridge that has to go because it's enormous and wont' fit   :D ). 

I will be warm, cozy, safe and secure. Secure being the best part. And, I'll spend a lot of time outdoors with my dog. All the shops and facilities are 2-3 minutes level walk away.  I wonder if I could get her qualified as a support dog so that she can go everyhere :wink:
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love the idea from newborn and they have given some great advice. It also got me thinking that small isn't always a bad thing. Your home is what you make it, not anyone else.

I have a dear friend who lives in a park home. I won't mention any names but she will know who i'm talking about if she sees this. I've visited her often and love her home. Yes, it's small but she has everything she needs inside that home. It just looks so lovely, cosy and warm too.

You mention your fridge being too big but living alone do you need a big fridge? Small is good and will cost less to run and easier to clean. Your energy costs will be less because it's smaller and these days that's a very good thing.  A bed, you can buy them with storage underneath, such as drawers or ones where you can lift up to the mattress to reveal storage underneath. Perfect for storing everything you need.

I think it will be fun and exciting looking for furniture to fit your new home. For you dog, you can register him/her as a support dog and then you can take them where ever you go. I did a search for you and found this link. https://www.esaorguk.com/

I hope you'll be very happy in your new home!

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Sadly, the Esaorg isn't recognised by the government, there are no registered ESAs, so it's absolutely meaningless, although they will take your money. I actually stumbled across them a while back, when I checked further, I backed off. They are basically a scam. I was gutted, but glad I found out.

Good luck in your new home though & I hope you grow to be happy there.
  • Lottie1732
    Options
    Thank you Poppy and Jessie.  I had a quick look around. There are some options but not really for my girl. She is my everything and I'm her emotional support human! If she had an assessment from any official body she'd run away from them. There are some local shops she can go in and some cafes.  It's just that I don't like to leave her at home alone. We'll be fine. 
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 410 Pioneering
    Options
    My Mum recently downsized from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed flat, the approach of getting new furniture and appliances to fit the new home is spot on. She now has a tall fridge/freezer instead of a big 4 drawer freezer and undercounter fridge. She has a smaller bed. Lots was second hand too so not very expensive.

I live in a flat too, storage can be gained by having strong hooks on the back of all doors (I have them on kitchen, bathroom and bedroom), the top of a wardrobe, underneath the bed, can be used, and so on.

When you view the property you will be able to scope out what the cupboards are like (I have lots in kitchen so one section is dedicated to bathroom stuff), there may even be an external shed or communal storage that you are currently unaware of.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.