Crohn's and Colitis Awareness Week — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Crohn's and Colitis Awareness Week

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
Tomorrow is the start of Crohn's & Colitis Awareness Week. 

If you didn't know...
  • Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis are the main forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. 
  • There are others such as Microscopic Colitis and Proctitis. 
  • People will experience IBD differently. Symptoms can include pain, loss of control over your bowels, diarrhea, tiredness and blood in your poo. But sometimes, other parts of the body can also be affected. For example, experiencing joint pain, headaches and eye issues.
As an "invisible illness", many in the IBD community hear a lot of the same things those with other disabilities do.

"You don't look sick".

"You just need a healthier diet".

"I tried *insert home remedy here*"

"It's all mind over matter". 

I wanted to write this post today as I am someone who lives with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. The diagnosis completely changed my life, and I now live with a stoma. 

Crohn's & Colitis UK recently launched their newest campaign with a symptom checker. 

The campaign found:
"It is taking too long for people with Crohn’s or Colitis to be diagnosed. A quarter wait more than a year for a diagnosis, and nearly half will end up in A&E at least once before they start treatment."
If we were to talk about bowel changes more often, it would mean people would feel a lot more comfortable seeking support and help they need. 

If you are having any gut symptoms that are affecting your day-to-day life, why not check out Crohn's & Colitis Symptom Checker

Developed in partnership with GPs and Clinicians, the hope is that it encourages people to seek the correct advice. 

6 questions and you can find out if those symptoms are something you should talk to your GP about. You will even receive a letter personalised with your symptoms to give to your GP. To help start that conversation. 

I hope sharing the symptom checker will be of help :) 
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.