LCW or LCWRA I'm confused — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCW or LCWRA I'm confused

Options
regreg
regreg Community member Posts: 3 Listener
A while ago I did a work capability assessment, I was told I was assessed as working up to 25 hours a week and I have a lower capability to work and was given the additional money for this. 

I then moved and had to restart a claim. I asked my work coach if I could go for the work assessment again and he said:
- You only get it if you completely can't work. 
- If I got assigned as LCW I would have to come in every week to see a work coach instead of my current every 3 months (as a self-employed person)

I'm currently self employed but barely able to work 5-10 hours a week. I'm really struggling and just confused as now I'm being told I wouldn't be eligible to it when I was before?

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,889 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you were found to have limited capability for work. (LCW) then you wouldn’t be entitled to extra money for this if your claim started after April 2017 because the rules changed.

However, you would have still been entitled to the work allowance, which would mean you could receive a certain amount of money each month before any deductions applied. 

You’re only entitled to extra money if found to have LCWRA. 

When did your previous claim start?  and why did you have to start a completely new claim when you moved? 

Moving house doesn’t mean you have to start a new claim. 

Before you moved were you claiming ESA but had to claim UC for help with your rent? 

Sorry for all the questions trying to work out exactly what’s happened. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carbow32
    carbow32 Community member Posts: 115 Pioneering
    Options
    You have to be earning under the equivalent of 16 hours at minimum wage to be sent for a WCA.  So currently £166.72.  So if you self employment after expenses is more than this they will not refer you.  If it is under this then they are incorrect and should be referring you.

People in both LCW and LCWRA can work so they are incorrect with that comment of not being able to do any work.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    carbow32 said:
    You have to be earning under the equivalent of 16 hours at minimum wage to be sent for a WCA.  So currently £166.72.  
    Unless you're claiming a disability benefit such as PIP/DLA or ADP and then you can be referred regardless of earnings. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • carbow32
    carbow32 Community member Posts: 115 Pioneering
    Options
    carbow32 said:
    You have to be earning under the equivalent of 16 hours at minimum wage to be sent for a WCA.  So currently £166.72.  
    Unless you're claiming a disability benefit such as PIP/DLA or ADP and then you can be referred regardless of earnings. 
    Didn't think about that bit because I am not entitled to PIP.  So was just adding what I know from my experience.  Thanks for adding it on,
  • regreg
    regreg Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    If you were found to have limited capability for work. (LCW) then you wouldn’t be entitled to extra money for this if your claim started after April 2017 because the rules changed.

However, you would have still been entitled to the work allowance, which would mean you could receive a certain amount of money each month before any deductions applied. 

You’re only entitled to extra money if found to have LCWRA. 

When did your previous claim start?  and why did you have to start a completely new claim when you moved? 

Moving house doesn’t mean you have to start a new claim. 

Before you moved were you claiming ESA but had to claim UC for help with your rent? 

Sorry for all the questions trying to work out exactly what’s happened. 
    I think I was told that I had LCW last time but reflectively I am now realising I had LCWRA as I was receiving extra entitlement and didn't have to have any kind of regular meeting. 

My previous claim was around 2021 I think. I know I think I made a mistake it's because I had to move twice (once with family now private rent) and I think our account was closed so it's a complete new claim. 

Before, it was UC, not ESA. 

That's ok, yeah I think I was just misinformed last time but I have handed in my fit note so I think this will start the process for another Work assessment? My work coach is being odd, won't answer any questions of how to start the process. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Moving house would not have closed your claim. You would just need to report a change of address. 

If it was 2021 that your claim closed then yes you will need to go through the work capability assessment process again. If your earnings are more than 16xNMW week then you won’t be able to be referred for a work capability assessment unless you’re claiming one of the disability benefits I mentioned above. 

For the avoidance of doubt, even if it was LCW you were found to have last time this didn’t mean you would need to attend appointments regularly. Some do and others don’t. It would depend on your earnings at the time and what your claimant commitments were. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.