Hi I'm new here. was wondering how we would be affected money ways if we do get married — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm new here. was wondering how we would be affected money ways if we do get married

Options
shirley_1964
shirley_1964 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I was planning on getting  married in August this year. My partner and I at the minute rent 2 studio flats. I work full time and pay my own rent and council tax, he is a pensioner and receives PIP. I was wondering how we would be affected money ways if we do get married. Can anyone give me some advice please.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Getting married will not affect anything. Living together may affect things. 

Apart from PIP and state pension what other benefits are they claiming? Potentially Pension credit and housing benefit? 

Will you be living together? Are you under or over state pension age? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shirley_1964
    Options
    Yes we would be living together and he gets housing benefit
  • shirley_1964
    Options
    I'm not pension age for another 7 years
  • poppy123456
    edited March 22
    Options
    Changes would need to be reported to their local Authority and their housing benefit and council tax reduction will need to be recalculated. Whether there’s any entitlement will depend on your joint circumstances. 

If they are also claiming Pension Credit then changes need to be reported for this and it will end. 

PIP and state pension are not affected. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • shirley_1964
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re welcome. To be clear, the same applies if you live together, even without being married. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @shirley_1964 and welcome to the community. :)

I can see Poppy is already helping you, but I just wanted to stop in and say hello and also congratulations! <3 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • shirley_1964
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.