What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I've Had To Finish Work

ladsdadmarkladsdadmark Member Posts: 1 Listener
i have just joined the community mainly due to having to look at what help is available to me having just been finished at work on the grounds of incapability due to health


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    New style ESA can be claimed if you've paid enough NI Contributions in the tax years April 2017 to March 2019. You'll need a fit note from your GP and your SSP1 form from your employer to claim this. It pays £73.10 per week assessment rate and is paid for a maximum of 1 year, unless you're placed into the Support Group and then it's paid for as long as you remain in that group. If you're placed into the Support Group your payments will increase to £111.65 per week, from the 14th week of your claim. If the decision takes longer than this then you'll receive backdated money. This benefit isn't means tested so savings/capital doesn't affect it.

    PIP is also a possibility, but to successfully be awarded will depend on how your conditions affect your ability to do daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's not about not being able to work. Evidence will be needed to support your claim and a face to face assessment is most likely. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

    Universal Credit maybe a possibility but if you live with a partner that works you'll need to claim as a couple. Claiming this will also depend on your savings/capital and household income because it's a means tested benefit. If you claim both New style ESA and UC together then your New style ESA payments will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount. Difficult to advise about this without knowing all of your circumstances.

    If you're claiming tax credits and housing benefit, these will both end if you claim UC and transfer across to that. Housing benefit is paid for a further 2 weeks.

    Council tax reduction can be claimed by contacting your local council.

    A visit to your local advice centre maybe a good idea and they can do a full benefits check for you based on your circumstances.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,174 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, nice to see new members here. Poppy has given you her expert advice it would be good for you to have a good look at her advice and then ask any further questions as you come across them as I know its a lot to take in all at once. 

  • AilsAils Member Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ladsdadmark and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I don't have anything to add as just wanted to welcome you.  I hope you have found Poppy's advice helpful.  Good luck with everything and please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  We are here to support you on the Community.  If there is anything further we can do to help/support you then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
Sign in or join us to comment.