Hi! I'm Marina and I just wrote a book about ableism! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi! I'm Marina and I just wrote a book about ableism!

Options
MarinaC
MarinaC Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello everyone,

I'm from France and spent the last 2 years working on an illustrated book regarding ableism, which is a topic not well know in my country. To make it even more accessible, I also did an English version.

The launch was supposed to be mid-April but due to the coronavirus pandemic, it is now postponed. But, as the pandemic highlighted, among others, our society's ableism, I decided to published online the 1st chapter, which is focused on explaining what ableism is but also on the disability price tag (thanks to Scope's report), consent, forced intimacy, casual ableism, internalized ableism and the social and medical models of disability.

Here's the link if you wanna take a look: https://mailchi.mp/606761d333b2/ill_figure_it_out_chapter_1_ableism !

You just have to put your email to receive it, like that, I'm able to let you know when the launch is actually happening!

I DM'd Scope about it on Twitter and was told to come here as it would maybe interest some of you! But please, let me know if I'm not following any guidelines properly! 

Stay safe everyone :) !

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MarinaC and welcome to the Community.  How are you today?  It's nice to meet you.  Congratulations on writing your first book.  That is quite an achievement.  How long did it take you to write?  Thank you for sharing the first chapter with us.  The subject of ableism is so important to disabled people and I'm sure many of our members will find your writing very interesting.  I will take a wee look myself.

My husband writes books also so writing features a lot in our house too.  

Please stay in touch and let us know how the launch of your book goes.  I wish you well with it.  Meantime, I hope you enjoy being part of our great Community as we are a friendly bunch of people here.  If we can be of any help or support to you then please just let us know.  Please stay safe also.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • MarinaC
    MarinaC Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hello @Ails,

Thank you so much for your reply and kind words! Overall, it took me 1 year and half to write the book but I did change the format after a while. Indeed, at first, I went with the "essay collection" but as I finished, thought that it wasn't as accessible as it should be for a complex subject like ableism.

So, I took some time to think and met an illustrator and went the "illustrated book" road, which I think it's the perfect format to explain what ableism is and it's consequences.

I hope you like the first chapter! Feel free to tell me your thoughts about it :smile:!

Thanks again for the support, have a lovely weekend!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.